wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

reasons for buying relic or attic find/ barn find
Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
volgograd
Expelled

Default reasons for buying relic or attic find/ barn find

If i was giving advice to a new collector, i would say go for battlefield found, or attic condition items. In the sixties, and seventies there was less problem than now nearly all ww2 items where genuine full stop .Now the market is flooded with some items meant to decieve or items that where sold as repro, and some wise guy sells off as genuine.I bought a lovely m42 genuine shell, which was refurbished to a high standard,with an ss decal.It came in total mint condition, and has aquired a slight age patina by being stacked on other helmets of mine,im talking the shell.now i say to a novice distance yourself from the pitfalls of buying a mock up,and take refuge into items with unmistaken age patina or relic ,leave the mint items alone as its a minefield.Anyway any item that has that been there look is far better all round than an alledged mint item is all day long.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
SkaraBrae

I disagree. In the last 30 years, there has been a steady and observable shift away from "any condition" to "excellent condition" artifacts. 40 years ago, poor to fair condition military artifacts sold about as well as excellent condition items. Now they are almost impossible to sell. This has been observed in other collecting hobbies as well, from sports cards to comic books. The price guide spread on comic books from "Good" to "Fine" to "Mint" used to be 1:2:3. Then it went to 1:3: 7, now it's around 1:3:10. Same with baseball cards. It's very hard to sell a baseball card now unless it is in mint condition or it is a very rare card.

I'm not saying this is good, I'm just observing it as a fact. "Barn find" and poor condition artifacts (aside from also being commonly faked) have almost no investment potential, and if you're collecting this stuff without giving a single thought to getting your money back out someday, you are a richer man than I am.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
WalterB
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaraBrae View Post
I disagree. In the last 30 years, there has been a steady and observable shift away from "any condition" to "excellent condition" artifacts. 40 years ago, poor to fair condition military artifacts sold about as well as excellent condition items. Now they are almost impossible to sell. This has been observed in other collecting hobbies as well, from sports cards to comic books. The price guide spread on comic books from "Good" to "Fine" to "Mint" used to be 1:2:3. Then it went to 1:3: 7, now it's around 1:3:10. Same with baseball cards. It's very hard to sell a baseball card now unless it is in mint condition or it is a very rare card.

I'm not saying this is good, I'm just observing it as a fact. "Barn find" and poor condition artifacts (aside from also being commonly faked) have almost no investment potential, and if you're collecting this stuff without giving a single thought to getting your money back out someday, you are a richer man than I am.
I agree with you. The notion that you cannot tell a fake helmet from a mint-conditioned authentic helmet is absolutely absurd and would only be believed by an uninformed collector. Focus on quality in anything you collect. Also, specialize in a specific area rather than on everything. Develop a specialization, study your area and you will be able to tell authentic from fake.
We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
Iwo Jima 1945

Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
ROBB
Association Member

One of the worst types of German helmet is a relic that has been repainted redecalled and has a shiny repo leather liner . They are up there with Spanish helmets. No auction house will take your relics for sale neither would a militaria dealer . Your relatives will he left confused as to why you bought all these rusty things “why has he bought all these rusty things , why will no one give me the many thousands he said they are worth” . Best to buy good solid examples . Rob

Old 06-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #5
bolewts58
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volgograd View Post
If i was giving advice to a new collector, i would say go for battlefield found, or attic condition items. In the sixties, and seventies there was less problem than now nearly all ww2 items where genuine full stop .Now the market is flooded with some items meant to decieve or items that where sold as repro, and some wise guy sells off as genuine.I bought a lovely m42 genuine shell, which was refurbished to a high standard,with an ss decal.It came in total mint condition, and has aquired a slight age patina by being stacked on other helmets of mine,im talking the shell.now i say to a novice distance yourself from the pitfalls of buying a mock up,and take refuge into items with unmistaken age patina or relic ,leave the mint items alone as its a minefield.Anyway any item that has that been there look is far better all round than an alledged mint item is all day long.
You've been touting this line since you joined last month. Its logic is completely full of holes and actually quite out of place on a forum like this.

Faking very convincing patina is quite easy. I'll give you an example, that has nothing to do with militaria, but dramatically illustrates the point. I used to work in museology (specifically at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto), where reproducing artefacts and making them look old is part of the job. You know all those dinosaur skeletons in museums all over the world that look ground dug and millions of years old? They're all made of casting resin and treated to look old. If you held a fake T-Rex thigh bone in your hands, you wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't fossilized bone, unless you were a paleontologist.

Knowledge, extensive research, asking on forums like this and talking to experts are the only bulwarks against being burned in collecting militaria. Then collectors should collect quality, not quantity and try to get the best examples in the best condition possible, not some rusty relic dug out of the ground, or "found" in a barn that even if genuine and untouched has little long-term value.

There's plenty of good quality, genuine stuff around if you learn to know what you're doing.