wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > International Militaria Forum

International Militaria Forum Rest of the World Militaria.

French vest
Old 10-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
paul.j

Default French vest

Hello,
I know this vest is French and from the Algeria period.Can anyone tell me which units received it and does anyone have any pics of it in use?
Cheers
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 119_001.jpg (36.2 KB, 128 views)

Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
lew

I can't rule it out, but I've never seen that particular vest in use in Algeria. The Commando Marines and select other units used a similar vest that had five cells on the front and back for rifle grenades, but I have the feeling that one is post-war.

vest
Old 10-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
paul.j

Default vest

Thanks for that.I believe I have seen it somewhere a long time ago but cannot remember the reference,I was hoping someone may have something?It probably had very little issue,it is not the most practical item.
Paul

Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
cookie

I believe that this vest is from the mid to late Algerian war period but have not, as yet, seen any photos of it being worn by anyone. I will keep my eyes peeled...

Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
lew

Paul, what are the interior of the pouch cells like? They look way too big for rifle grenades or submachinegun magazines, unless they are further subdivided. Even if they were for FM-24/29 mags, the pouches still look too deep. Also, are there any stamps on the piece? What's on the back, if anything?

vest
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
paul.j

Default vest

Thanks cookie,I am also on the lookout for some pics.As far as I am aware,the vest is for the FM24/29. I dont know whats on this one,I only used it as an example pic. I have seen 3 here for sale in disposal stores and they all had the French army stamps,dates hard to read on all examples as were manufactures but were still Algerian era stampings.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
sturmann

salut ,

Can't remember if it is for the Mac 34 Reibel machine-gun straight mags or mortar's rounds ? but it is French and from the 50's/60's . The Fumaco one that Lew refers to is very different and intended to carry the Mat49 mags and FLG grenades.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
lulum
Association Member

hi , this vest is for shell 81mn mortar, used in Indochina and Algeria far Foreign legon, infantry... but no used a lot and often one soldier in compagnie have one .I con't find a picture. The real name in french is" chasuble porte obus de mortier"
There isn't stamp with a date inside ?

vest
Old 11-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
paul.j

Default vest

Thanks for that. I dont know the dimensions for the French 81mm mortar round but I can assure you the 81mm I have used would not fit this vest. If they used a 60mm it is possible it might fit. I would say that if it was used to carry mortar ammo then there would be more than one man carrying one, 6 rounds would not be much of a fire mission.I dont know what stamps are on this one as I borrowed the pic, the other ones I have seen have French army stamps but the dates are illegible,
Cheers
Paul

Old 11-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
lulum
Association Member

hi, yes it's 60mn !!
regards