wehrmacht awards

LW tropenhelm for review ?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,392
Default LW tropenhelm for review ?

Greetings

Here is a LW tropenhelm offered. Would like to here comments, opinions ? Only have these three photos at the moment. The only marking is a size 55 in ink underneath the sweat band. The short end of the chin strap is missing. Worth adding to the collection ?

thanks

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lwpith2.jpg (107.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg lwpith3.jpg (102.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg lwpith.jpg (105.8 KB, 126 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 01:55 AM   #2
Francisco V.
Association Member
 
Francisco V.'s Avatar
 
Francisco V. is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ETO
Posts: 1,306
Default

Helm itself looks ok; shield also but eagle appears suspicious soft alloy. Closer views may help
__________________
Aviation Collector
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
GAMS1
Association Member
 
GAMS1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: France / Germany
Posts: 5,154
Default

Original helmet , original badges . Sand leather is typical of LW helmets ...
Interesting ? regarding the offered price !
You can find them relatively easily , with a complete chin strap also .
Nick
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Fsoq
Member
 
Fsoq is online now
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMS1 View Post
Original helmet , original badges . Sand leather is typical of LW helmets ...
Interesting ? regarding the offered price !
You can find them relatively easily , with a complete chin strap also .
Nick
Agree but a nice brass eagle alone is worth the pith helmet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2019, 04:12 AM   #5
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco V. View Post
Helm itself looks ok; shield also but eagle appears suspicious soft alloy. Closer views may help
Yes thats what i thought but need better pics of the eagle. Thanks for your help
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #6
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMS1 View Post
Original helmet , original badges . Sand leather is typical of LW helmets ...
Interesting ? regarding the offered price !
You can find them relatively easily , with a complete chin strap also .
Nick
Thanks Nick, good points my friend

Price is $320us all in ?
Better than current dealer price's, if the eagle is original ?
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2019, 04:27 AM   #7
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsoq View Post
Agree but a nice brass eagle alone is worth the pith helmet.
Agree when dealing with LW pith's. The original eagle sold by itself would sell for as much as an unbadged tropenhelm. Maybe more, especially if it's an early brass eagle. Thanks for the comment.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2019, 05:03 AM   #8
Fsoq
Member
 
Fsoq is online now
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,701
Default

Tim,
320 USD in not a bad price IF the eagle is good. A lot of them were found without insignia and have been rebadged with this kind of alloy/zinc eagle (fake of course). This eagle may be good but before anything you have to ask the seller if the prongs are flat or round. I personnaly always want them with flat prongs.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
Paul Woodbyrne
Association Member
 
Paul Woodbyrne's Avatar
 
Paul Woodbyrne is offline
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: England
Posts: 725
Default

Would agree with every thing said above scanning in on that eagle feeling it might be one of the copy cast type with brass pins. Will need better pics. The ones with brass eagle and good size would be about $700 . So this is why the cheap ones seem a very attractive buy. I have one which was heer first model but the eagle was removed and an early brass luft eagle put on, war time attached. You can clearly see the out line of the army eagle. It's a huge size 60 -62 .
__________________
Paul 262
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
GAMS1
Association Member
 
GAMS1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: France / Germany
Posts: 5,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
Thanks Nick, good points my friend

Price is $320us all in ?
Better than current dealer price's, if the eagle is original ?
I think you know my position on these later zinc eagles ...if it's one of them ?
Not a DAK helmet with these zinc badges but more of 43-45 Südfront helmet .
Nick
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM   #11
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsoq View Post
Tim,
320 USD in not a bad price IF the eagle is good. A lot of them were found without insignia and have been rebadged with this kind of alloy/zinc eagle (fake of course). This eagle may be good but before anything you have to ask the seller if the prongs are flat or round. I personnaly always want them with flat prongs.
Agree $320 is a good price as dealers ask $500-600us for the same helmet. Asked about the prongs but no answer.

Good point about the depot near Prague. Where thousands of unbadged LW style tropenhelms were left till after the war. The original helmets were most likely used unbadged by the 4th ss Polizie Div which garrisoned Greece in 1944. Many have been post war upgraded with Herr & especially LW shields & eagle. Some with fake LW or fake ss badges as you mention. Thanks for the comment
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM   #12
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Woodbyrne View Post
Would agree with every thing said above scanning in on that eagle feeling it might be one of the copy cast type with brass pins. Will need better pics. The ones with brass eagle and good size would be about $700 . So this is why the cheap ones seem a very attractive buy. I have one which was heer first model but the eagle was removed and an early brass luft eagle put on, war time attached. You can clearly see the out line of the army eagle. It's a huge size 60 -62 .
Hi Paul

When I zoom the eagle looks cast, but am pretty sure its the poor photo. Asked for more pics but no reply. Have seen dealers trying to sell the brass eagle/LW piths for as much as $1200us. Though those are the green not tan helmets they have not sold at that price for years.

Would like to see your Herr/LW convert tropenhelm ?
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM   #13
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,392
Default

Hi Nick

Seller says the eagle is aluminum not zinc. Which is enough for me to pass on the helmet without further info/photos.

Of course we can "agree to disagree" on any eagle or anything we discuss.

Thanks for your help

Tim

Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; Yesterday at 04:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #14
GAMS1
Association Member
 
GAMS1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: France / Germany
Posts: 5,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
Hi Nick

Seller says the eagle is aluminum not zinc. Which is enough for me to pass on the helmet without further info/photos.

Of course we can "agree to disagree" on any eagle or anything we discuss.

Thanks for your help

Tim
But IMO this eagle looks matt silvered zinc , not alu ?
Nick
  Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #15
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMS1 View Post
But IMO this eagle looks matt silvered zinc , not alu ?
Nick
Hi Nick

Agree it looks like a later zinc eagle. But without the better photos we will never know....

Thanks
Tim
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com