wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Prinz Eugen Sword
Old 04-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
coloradocowboy
Association Member

Default Prinz Eugen Sword

I listed this sword on the estand. Ill be honest, I don't know a lot about swords. However, close friends of mine told me its a rare sword worth up to 1500 Euros. So, I listed it at $1400. I get an immediate PM that I will list below. Am I WAY off base on my asking price?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (124.2 KB, 212 views)

Old 04-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
Schlange

The price of these sabres is determines by condition of the gold gilt on the handle, and condition on paint on scabbard.
After that is condition of blade.

Schlange

I'm looking for mint german straight shovel entrenching tool.
schlange88@outlook.com

https://mojalbum.com/schlange88

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=916564

Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
private joker

300 USD for a Prinz Eugen pattern sword
I'll take 5 off you then JR lol!!!!

Old 04-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
JR.

You're not that far off, Chris. But your buddy who told you it was a rare sword is. There are a half dozen nice ones on the market presently that I can point to, in the $1200 an above range, and they're not selling.

Look in the estand presently. 3 Field Marshal swords in very nice condition listed at $400 and less. Then take a look at the one that you've offered. 10% of the gilt left on the aluminum hilt, a blade which looks retipped, and a scabbard ....well, let's just say beyond poor condition.

As far as price goes that truly is subjective. But my experience on Heer officer's swords, they are a pain to sell, and even worse to mail especially internationally. And that is when they are in very nice condition. At any of the large militaria venues you can always find 50-100 of the field marshal series being offered for sale, and rarely over the $600 range...............no matter what model they are.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Frogprince

What's rare is to find this later model zinc(?) hilted German Army Officer's saber with all of its original finish intact. FP

Old 04-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
JR.

Pe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PE1.jpg (74.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg PE2.jpg (81.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg PE3.jpg (67.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg PE4.jpg (57.1 KB, 212 views)

Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
coloradocowboy
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by private joker View Post
300 USD for a Prinz Eugen pattern sword
I'll take 5 off you then JR lol!!!!
right....haha

Old 04-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
JR.

To help you evaluate the length, Chris: take the sword and lay it on top of the scabbard, while butting the underside of the crossguard to the lip of the shell as if it were in the scabbard. Now take a look at the distance from the tip of the blade to the end of the scabbard. Generally this distance should be 1/2 -1". If not, there is a good chance the blade has been retipped. The example that I show is not what you want to see. As the distance indicated that the tip of the blade has been shortened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Police D14.jpg (181.7 KB, 209 views)

Old 04-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
coloradocowboy
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post
To help you evaluate the length, Chris: take the sword and lay it on top of the scabbard, while butting the underside of the crossguard to the lip of the shell as if it were in the scabbard. Now take a look at the distance from the tip of the blade to the end of the scabbard. Generally this distance should be 1/2 -1". If not, there is a good chance the blade has been retipped. The example that I show is not what you want to see. As the distance indicated that the tip of the blade has been shortened.
Ill go out on limb and offer you $350. Is paypal ok?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
DALE ELLIS
Association Member

Now...of course you could take the rest of the gold off and sell it as an SS for big bucks. Just kidding, so please don't do it. The Prinz Eugen is a fairly common sword but because of it's popularity and rumored association with the SS they always command higher prices. I have 3 or 4 sitting in my safe now that are excellent condition with almost 100% gold and I seriously doubt that any of them would sell for anywhere near 1500 EU. I would ask for around $750. to $800. for mine so $350. for yours might not be that bad of a deal.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
coloradocowboy
Association Member

"You're not that far off, Chris. But your buddy who told you it was a rare sword is. There are a half dozen nice ones on the market presently that I can point to, in the $1200 an above range, and they're not selling."

"I would ask for around $750. to $800. for mine so $350. for yours might not be that bad of a deal."

So Im anywhere from not that for off what Im asking to $350. Got it

JR how much is the chained SS dagger I sold you worth right now?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
JR.

Chris,
In other words, it's not your mistake that you offered the sword for $1400.00. The mistake was made by the person who told you it was a rare sword worth 1500 Euro. That is all that I was trying to say in my post. As I mentioned in my PM, start high and you can always reduce it. But in the end it will sell much closer to $300, than $1400.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
Frogprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALE ELLIS View Post
Now...of course you could take the rest of the gold off and sell it as an SS for big bucks. Just kidding, so please don't do it. The Prinz Eugen is a fairly common sword but because of it's popularity and rumored association with the SS they always command higher prices.....................
I've seen some where the finish was completely gone or removed to make it all silver in color, with maybe an SS knot added at some point to reinforce the illusion. The origin of the rumored association I believe a single picture of a Reserve SS Officer on occupation duty in Czechoslovakia well after that event took place. The other source the supposed association with the military formation of that name (Prinz Eugen). Which might have also worked as long as you don't look into its history. FP

Old 04-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
coloradocowboy
Association Member

Someone got screwed. It sold for a little more than $300. Strange
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (206.2 KB, 130 views)

Old 04-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
coloradocowboy
Association Member

Besides being wrong on price JR, Im also being told your wrong on it being re tipped as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (114.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (114.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (106.8 KB, 125 views)