wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present

Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present From West Germany through to the modern reunified German Republic.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #31
HPL2008
Association Member

Two new stickpins (also shown on my parallel thread on BRK awards).

First, a 9 mm two-place stickpin combining the Ehrenzeichen des DRK in Gold with the with the Steckkreuz [pinback cross] grade of the Ehrenzeichen des Freistaates Bayern für Verdienste um das BRK [Decoration of the Free State of Bavaria for Service to the Bavarian Red Cross] (compare with the one in post # 7, which has the silver-grade DRK-Ehrenzeichen):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DRK_EZ_Gold_Nadel_a.jpg (123.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DRK_EZ_Gold_Nadel_b.jpg (156.6 KB, 50 views)

Old 09-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #32
HPL2008
Association Member

...and a three-place stickpin combining the Ehrenzeichen des DRK with the first-model 40- and 25-year crosses of the Ehrenzeichen des Freistaates Bayern für Verdienste um das BRK. By regulations, only the 40-year grade of the latter should be worn, but such individualisms are not unusual:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZ_DRK-EZ_BRK_si-br_Ansteckn-1.jpg (128.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg EZ_DRK-EZ_BRK_si-br_Ansteckn-2.jpg (136.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg EZ_DRK-EZ_BRK_si-br_Ansteckn-3.JPG (194.9 KB, 48 views)

Old 09-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #33
chiffonnier

Size comparison to coins from 4 different countries !
Ausgezeichnet, just like the info in this thread.

Kees

Old 09-29-2019, 05:22 AM   #34
HPL2008
Association Member

Thanks! Of course I could simply put a ruler next to them, but I think the coins do a better job at giving a vivid visual impression of just how small these neat little miniatures are.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:22 AM   #35
HPL2008
Association Member

Just in, this badge is technically not an award, but a duty badge [Dienstabzeichen] of the DRK's Wasserwacht [Water Rescue Service]. The white enamel was changed to dark blue in 1979. These badges can be found with or without numbers on the reverse side. I have been told that the numbers identified the wearer's unit/duty station.

These are not to be confused with the Ehrenzeichen der Wasserwacht des DRK [Decoration of the Water Rescue Service of the DRK], which is basically the same badge with an added laurel wreath in silver or gold at the base. (See post # 26 for the Ehrenzeichen).

The Dienstabzeichen and Ehrenzeichen are also awarded by the BRK. They differ from the DRK ones in that they bear the letters "BRK" on top. (For examples of those, see my parallel thread on BRK awards.) The DRK ones initially had no letters in the top part (as seen here); since 2012, they say "DRK":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DRK_Wasserwacht_Dienstabz_1.JPG (171.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DRK_Wasserwacht_Dienstabz_2.JPG (229.8 KB, 31 views)

Old 10-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #36
HPL2008
Association Member

A postscript to the long service stripes/-bars shown in post # 8 - 12:

Here are a few interesting items that came from an award grouping to a long-serving female Red Cross volunteer. These are long service sleeve stripes that have been shortenend and modified to be worn as "ribbon bars".

I have seen this several times before. My guess would be that these were used during a transitional period around 1970 when the traditional sleeve stripes were in the process of being replaced by the new ribbon bars. (Perhaps the latter had already been instituted on paper but were not yet available?)

I also wonder whether service times that were indicated by two sleeve stripes (for example 1 broad + 1 narrow stripe for 20 years) led to two of these "bars" being worn together, side by side or perhaps even one on top of the other?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DRK-Auszeichnungsborten_4.JPG (174.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DRK-Auszeichnungsborten_5.JPG (238.3 KB, 20 views)