wehrmacht awards

Cool Desk Eagle - But Fake?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #1
McKiwis

Default Cool Desk Eagle - But Fake?

I'd appreciate everyone's opinion on this really nice looking desk eagle, currently on sale by Oakleaf Militaria with a POR suggested asking price of around $10,000. The signature on the swastika at the base is Schmidt Hofer, which unless anyone else knows of any other 1933 - 1945 era German sculptors of that name, it's probably supposed to be Otto Schmidt-Hofer. The trouble is Otto Schmidt-Hofer died in 1925. According to the plaque on the base this was supposed to have been presented to the officers and officials of Luftflotten V in 1940. To me it looks like a nice try, but sadly... If I'm wrong please let me know. Thanks!

This link opens up all of the photos: http://oakleafmilitaria.com/luftstat.html

Old 06-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
J. Wraith

Every time I get called to that site I have to wonder if Kris Anderson is a stooge for every crook in the hobby or is there some kind of alter ego underneath his polite, kind demeanor and maybe he thinks that the market just full of stooges.

He has crap up there that is soooo bad it would never get past anyone and at least a couple pieces that were supposed to be pulled months ago and never were. They are fake and to add to the problem priced well above what they would cost if they were real. He pals around with the Chicago chapter of the SS Scumbag division who do nothing but doctor tunics and fake cloth material, and then posts garbage CH helmets that as far as I know are still up with Kelly Hicks endorsements and they are trashed now as well. He wants to know why things do not sell?.... They don't sell because their fake, their put together, their all together bogus, and their overpriced to boot. He should find another line of work like butchering cattle because their dumber than many collectors these days.

The bronze bird is original but I do not trust that it is all one piece because the dedication for one is 1940 and you cannot get bronze in 1940 and every time he puts up a statue I have to stare at it 3 days because they always seem off for some reason and they should be one lookers. My buddy likes this bird but I don't and I would have it in pieces and thats only if it could be bought for 3k or so because its a Luft eagle and big dollar birds are not Luft or Heer. Big dollar birds are one looker pieces and generally political and every stooge in the world is putting large numbers on pieces that do not have what it takes.

Top dollar with inspection, torn apart to the hardware would be a massive 4500.00 retail and I cant guarantee its not put together, only that the bronze bird is real. And Kris Anderson needs to clean up his web site because it looks like **** and he told me personally he was pulling a couple fakes down four months ago and has done nothing. He damaged his reputation eon's ago, nice guy but if you want to shop that site you better be smart.

Luftwaffe Desk Eagle
Old 06-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
McKiwis

Default Luftwaffe Desk Eagle

Thanks for the great reply. If someone going to fake something, why the heck would they attach the name of a sculptor that died eight years before the Nazi party came to power? Apart for it being highly unethical it's not very clever. I appreciate the heads up and will steer well clear of this - even though it's a looker!

Old 06-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
J. Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKiwis View Post
Thanks for the great reply. If someone going to fake something, why the heck would they attach the name of a sculptor that died eight years before the Nazi party came to power? Apart for it being highly unethical it's not very clever. I appreciate the heads up and will steer well clear of this - even though it's a looker!
Its a legitimate mark and maker who worked in bronze and other metals during the period. But its likely a 30s cast and bears a 40's dedication. Not to say it cant be explained but even if it is and you place it between a pile of horse crap it will look like horse crap, and he has shoveled a high pile and now nothing can be trusted and the risk is priced at double what it should be. Not worth the trouble but he has made his own bed.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:19 AM   #5
Longshot841
Association Member

Not to get necro with this thread, but is Schmidt-Hofer a legit sculptor of Hitler's bust? I know he did period items, but was he legitimately attributed to third reich sculpture prior to his demise in 1925?

Old 10-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
Military
Association Member

Just wondering what's happened to this piece. Was it sold or?

Mil

Old 10-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #7
BenVK
Association Member

The eagle in question is original but I have no doubt that the base with Luftwaffe plaque has been added, probably post war to hump up the price.

Here is another example of the same design, Schmidt-Hofer signed eagle that's been denazified at some point.

What connection the sculptor Otto Schmidt-Hofer (1873-1925) has to the numerous Third Reich period bronzes that bear his name is not clear to me. He died long before Hitler became Chancellor and by all accounts, lived in conditions of poverty and starvation in the last years of his life so it's unlikely that he had a successful manufacturing workshop at the time of his death. I suspect his name was utilized by a firm that began producing bronzes in the mid 1930's, possibly set up by one of his children but that's just a guess as there is little or no information about the family that I could find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10df6e134d6380527619ea0bec5ba488.jpg (124.5 KB, 76 views)

Old 10-05-2019, 04:53 AM   #8
AndyC
Association Member

I post the rest of the pictures in this thread for future reference

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (243.6 KB, 68 views)

Old 10-05-2019, 04:53 AM   #9
AndyC
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (81.6 KB, 67 views)

Old 10-05-2019, 04:54 AM   #10
AndyC
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (200.4 KB, 67 views)

Old 10-05-2019, 04:54 AM   #11
AndyC
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (204.5 KB, 67 views)

Old 10-05-2019, 04:55 AM   #12
AndyC
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (90.2 KB, 68 views)

Old 10-05-2019, 04:56 AM   #13
AndyC
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (197.0 KB, 67 views)

Old 10-05-2019, 04:56 AM   #14
AndyC
Association Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (183.2 KB, 67 views)

Old 10-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #15
Gene
Lifetime Member

Beautiful piece, to me 100% wartime. The plaque is to/from(?) officers and officials of some reserve Signals regiment, hardly a unit that would enhance value IMO