wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum

Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum Order of battle, unit history, personality research.

My High School Teacher - former SS Captain
Old 01-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
RobertE
Association Member

Default My High School Teacher - former SS Captain

I had a substitute High School teacher in Colorado that taught English in the 1970's. His name was Bruno Eidinger, and he was a really pleasant older gent and a self-proclaimed former SS man. I am wondering if anyone can provide any details on his service, starting with confirming he was an actual SS officer.

According to him, he was a musician in the LAH and eventually a Captain. He legally immigrated to the United States and was documented as having been responsible for sheltering Jews, an act that resulted in his arrest and torture right before the war ended.

I do recall he had a picture on his wall in the study that he claimed showed him walking with Himmler, which seemed strange for someone that resisted the SS Jewish deportation.

He was born 1/1/1914, I believe in Romania. I realize this is a wild shot, but I have always wondered about the story.

s/f Robert

Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
jmcm
Association Member

This the man??
Bruno Eidinger Playing the Violin for His Family
(Original Caption) Bruno Eidinger, 48-year-old violinist, who defied the Nazi Occupation Forces in Holland by assisting persecuted persons to escape during World War II, is shown playing his violin for his wife and their children, George and Anushka, as they arrived on the SS Grootbeer today. Eidinger was born in Rumania but fled to Holland when his country went under Totalitarian rule. He went underground in Amsterdam when the Nazis occupied the Netherlands. Often disguised in Nazi SS (Political Police) uniform, he helped Jews whose lives were in Peril to escape freedom. The Eidingers will live with Kin in the Bronx until resettled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gettyimages-514981386-1024x1024.jpg (128.6 KB, 463 views)

Old 01-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
RobertE
Association Member

Yes, I've seen the online story (thanks for posting it) as well as newspaper interviews. He also gave me his book, "Thank you, America", which I read at the time.

I'm curious as to what fellow collectors and historians may have on his actual service, and less about what he said. In one interview, he claimed to have donned SS uniform from time to time to fool the real SS, but that he never was actually and SSer.

s/f Robert

Old 02-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
PaulR
Association Member

So he was not an SS musician? I am sick and kinda out of it, but the first and last posts seem to contradict one another in a few areas.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
RobertE
Association Member

Paul, I hope you feel better. Not sure of what contradiction you are talking about, as all of this is hearsay from Mr. Eidinger and post-war interviews. I just know I knew the man and what he claimed to me, which I'm like to confirm or deny.

I don't know if he was a musician, or if he was in the SS. That is the reason I'm asking - if anyone with rosters or promotion lists can chime in, that would be definite value-added.

s/f Robert

Old 02-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
Waffenreich
Association Member

Robert,

I'm going to NARA the week after next so I'll let you know if he is in the master index of SS soldiers. If so, I'll see what they have on him.

Regards!

Bob

Old 02-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
RobertE
Association Member

Hi Bob,

That would be really kind, and thank you.

regards, Robert

Bruno is my Father/Grandfather
Old 07-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Eidinger

Default Bruno is my Father/Grandfather

While we were researching online we came across this forum. My daughter and I were talking about this today and wanted to reply to your post. The photograph you speak of is authentic. We always have understood that he forged paperwork to appear to be an officer. So...We would be interested in knowing what you found out from the person who was going to research the officers database. We also find it remarkable that on forged paperwork he could get this close to Hitlers Henchman. We do know that the date of birth you have noted is not correct from speaking to his family (a nephew). Are you still in the area where he was your substitute teacher?

Old 07-28-2019, 10:51 PM   #9
RobertE
Association Member

Hello,

I didn't get any additional information, sorry. The only biographic data I have is from what I've seen online, and I no longer have his autobiography.

I do not currently live in the same area as he did. I can tell you that he was captured and tortured by the Germans in the last months of the war; he still had those injuries when I knew him.

He had a photograph on his wall that was framed, not very big but there in his house. Once when visiting, he showed it to me and asked if I knew who was in the photo. The officers were visored, and I guessed only one. It was Himmler; there was another uniformed officer by his side, and a third man that Mr. Eidinger claimed to have been.

It was odd that a man who was fighting the German system would chose such a photo to display, unless it was to show how good his disguise and paperwork were. Personally, I don't believe anyone could get that close to Himmler or even occasionally visit an SS urban headquarters without getting rolled up in a heartbeat.

I will find and buy another copy of his book one of these days. We used to see them at yard sales in Grand Junction, but that was in the 1970's. Did the nephew offer any insights? Was he close to the man at all?

s/f Robert

Interesting
Old 07-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
Eidinger

Default Interesting

Nephew never knew him. The stories are pretty remarkable. It would be nice to see behind the curtain of realities and memories and stories...

Old 07-29-2019, 11:16 PM   #11
RobertE
Association Member

Yes, it would. Time will tell.