wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum Uniforms, insignias and armbands.

Step by Step: Collecting German Uniforms.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
kronn

Default Step by Step: Collecting German Uniforms.

Hello Friends and Dear collector.....

As many of you, not long time ago, I started with my interest in Germand Feldbluses....Despite the great ammount of information we have in this forum, and the veeeeeery big group of collectors we have here always helping I think it would be very interesting to create a thread, and maybe if it has many replied add it to the top, with all the books we, as collectors, recommend each other to the study of German Uniforms. Basic books and advanced book for collectors so, a new collector when decide to start can go directly to this thread and check all the recommendations by other more experienced collectors.
Studies about heer uniforms, difference beteween feldbluses, insignias attached to the uniforms, etc etc etc

Here is my first recomendation to everyone that would like to introduce and learn maybe the basic knowledge to introduce in this field.

The German Army Field Tunic, 1933-1945 by Jean-Philippe Borg

Alejandro

Old 03-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Stickfigure21
Association Member

That’s the exact book I would recommend for someone who wants to focus on German uniforms specifically.

Another good book that deals with all aspects of the German soldier is “Deutsche Soldaten: Uniforms, Equipment & Personal Items of the German Soldier 1939-45” by Agustín Sáiz. It doesn’t go into as deep of detail as the one you mentioned, but it’s the perfect book for a collector who is still exploring what area they want to collect, as it shows pretty much everything Heer.
-Steve
Named/Researched Pionier items

Always looking for items from:
Pionier-Battalion 662
Pionier-Battalion 38
2. Panzer Division

Old 03-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
Hans Kristian
Association Member

The insignia is an important part of collecting German uniforms and I would say that this one is a must as well:

German Army Shoulder Straps and Boards - 1933-1945 by Dave and Thomas Suter from the forum.

And I agree with the first book mentioned, a must-have.

Hans Kristian

Old 03-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Reichsword
Association Member

I would highly recommend: WAFFENROCK, by Curley & Stewart.
If interested in parade uniforms.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #5
HAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickfigure21 View Post
That’s the exact book I would recommend for someone who wants to focus on German uniforms specifically.

Another good book that deals with all aspects of the German soldier is “Deutsche Soldaten: Uniforms, Equipment & Personal Items of the German Soldier 1939-45” by Agustín Sáiz. It doesn’t go into as deep of detail as the one you mentioned, but it’s the perfect book for a collector who is still exploring what area they want to collect, as it shows pretty much everything Heer.
-Steve
well Augustin book has a lot of fakes inside ,nice photos ,but not the best book as for my taste .......

Old 03-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Stickfigure21
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAF View Post
well Augustin book has a lot of fakes inside ,nice photos ,but not the best book as for my taste .......

Really....I was not aware of that.

My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Named/Researched Pionier items

Always looking for items from:
Pionier-Battalion 662
Pionier-Battalion 38
2. Panzer Division

Old 03-24-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
kronn

thanks to everyoneˇˇˇˇˇ this is our current list of books:

1-German Feldbluses:

The German Army Field Tunic, 1933-1945 by Jean-Philippe Borg

2- German waffenrocks:

WAFFENROCK, by Curley & Stewart.

3- German insignias (shoulderboards, breast eagles collartabs etc...)

German Army Shoulder Straps and Boards - 1933-1945 by Dave and Thomas Suter from the forum.

4-General information about Heer uniforms and equipment:

Deutsche Soldaten: Uniforms, Equipment & Personal Items of the German Soldier 1939-45” by Agustín Sáiz. Note: not the best one, but photos are good and the general idea is okay.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
kronn

another one I like ,

German Combat Equipment: 1939-1945 (Militaria Guides) [Jean-Philippe Borg]

Old 03-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #9
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

I believe you are digressing - the thread is focussed on collecting German Uniforms - not field gear or other stuff that is not a uniform. For this there is only one book, the one by Borg, which started this thread. Nowhere else IN A BOOK is this subject better covered. (And yes if you are one of those odd birds that wants to collect a lot of Waffenrocks than yes buy the Curley and Stewart book but in reality these are the uniforms most easily bought untouched without burning your fingers - combat uniforms are a whole different matter).

When it comes to the insignia on a tunic - just look at threads on this Forum in which Fred Green has participated. In no book you will find more information or better explanations than here on the WAF by Fred.

The shoulder strap book by Suter is useful but I find it lacking in text. Mostly lots of photographs which will help you getting a feel for what an original strap should look like but IMO it is lacking the textual heft that Mike Kelso's book on Imperial shoulder straps/boards has - but unfortunately that is an entirely different field of collecting (Imperial).

Than there is the great website of Mike Davis (Virtual Grenadier) nowhere better than there to study original tunics with clear photos and excellent descriptions. More to be learned there than in many a book.

Another excellent resource if you want to collect uniforms is period pictures. Once again WAF provides. Look at the 1200 or so pages in the pinned thread on portrait photo's - look at all the uniforms there; check out the shoulder boards on the tunics, the litzen, the eagles, the various combinations of boards, collars, eagles and litzen.

Internet with several excellent sites such as WAF and Virtual Grenadiers has tons of info that you will not find in books.

Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 03-24-2020 at 07:08 AM.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #10
Hans Kristian
Association Member

I agree, but when it comes to looking at insignia, there is, in my opinion, some really knowledgable collectors who are also willing to share their wisdom:

Fred Green as mentioned
Glen Hendrics - "Schulterklappen"
Andreas - "Vizenz"

There are ofc a lot more people with great knowledge.

And yes, I agree on Suter´s book, there is not a lot of info, but lots of reference boards and straps.

Hans Kristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
I believe you are digressing - the thread is focussed on collecting German Uniforms - not field gear or other stuff that is not a uniform. For this there is only one book, the one by Borg, which started this thread. Nowhere else IN A BOOK is this subject better covered. (And yes if you are one of those odd birds that wants to collect a lot of Waffenrocks than yes buy the Curley and Stewart book but in reality these are the uniforms most easily bought untouched without burning your fingers - combat uniforms are a whole different matter).

When it comes to the insignia on a tunic - just look at threads on this Forum in which Fred Green has participated. In no book you will find more information or better explanations than here on the WAF by Fred.

The shoulder strap book by Suter is useful but I find it lacking in text. Mostly lots of photographs which will help you getting a feel for what an original strap should look like but IMO it is lacking the textual heft that Mike Kelso's book on Imperial shoulder straps/boards has - but unfortunately that is an entirely different field of collecting (Imperial).

Than there is the great website of Mike Davis (Virtual Grenadier) nowhere better than there to study original tunics with clear photos and excellent descriptions. More to be learned there than in many a book.

Another excellent resource if you want to collect uniforms is period pictures. Once again WAF provides. Look at the 1200 or so pages in the pinned thread on portrait photo's - look at all the uniforms there; check out the shoulder boards on the tunics, the litzen, the eagles, the various combinations of boards, collars, eagles and litzen.

Internet with several excellent sites such as WAF and Virtual Grenadiers has tons of info that you will not find in books.