wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Photos and Paper Items Forum

Photos and Paper Items Forum Awards Document and any photo related to the era.

Death Cards Normandy (SS & Para)
Old 06-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #1
Edelweisse
Association Member

Default Death Cards Normandy (SS & Para)

Hi Folks:

Found these in a pack of pictures I bought in a German Flea market....surprised to find these...in the envelope.

SS Rottenfuehrer died in Normandy

German Paratrooper died in Brest (Normandy)

Young 19 yr old soldier died of heart ailment in East Front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1277_LI.jpg (48.5 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1278_LI.jpg (46.8 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1279.JPG (124.0 KB, 238 views)

Old 06-04-2019, 01:43 AM   #2
Edelweisse
Association Member

I just researched the names in the Volksbund grave search and located them all

https://www.volksbund.de/en/graebersuche.html

I was surprised to find these Western front death notices....a majority of them I've found died on the East Front. What I've "heard"...if you lines up ten (10) German soldiers.....nine (9) out of the ten (10) fought on the eastern front.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Lloyd I.

Schöne fund. I would tend to agree with that synopsis on the frequency of finding Ostfront versus Westfront sterbebilder as it was a greater effort in terms of manpower to fight the war on the Ostfront for obvious reasons, a larger landmass.

The Westfront SS Sterbebilder is a nice one if we can use such a term to describe a death notice as nice. I always search for these. Particularly one for a Rttf. Lemke. The research potential is particularly important.

SS-Rttf. Hemmerling was caught up in the events of this day:
Thursday, June 29, 1944

The days that marked the Battle of Normandy

Operation Epsom continues east of Caen. The Scots of the 15th Infantry Division secured the area around Gravus, but the German Panzer Lehr pitted a very strong resistance and attacked the 2nd Argyll battalion in this village. Hard fighting takes place and the Scots owe their salvation only to the systematic intervention of the Allied air forces who take advantage of the weather and their great superiority in the air. The German tanks were annihilated by allied planes, which constantly harassed enemy movements.

The 11th British Armored Division, which has been retreating since the evening before, leaves the strategic position of Hill 112. Lieutenant-General Dempsey fears a massive counterattack by the Hitlerjugend and orders the tanks of the 11th Armored Division to retreat back on the left bank of the Odon river. This leaves only the men of the 4th King’s Shropshire Light Infantry to defend the position. The Germans take advantage of the opportunity to counterattack Hill 112 again and hand-to-hand fighting takes place again. The bodies of the combatants strew the banks of the Odon river and the battlefields in the vicinity of Hill 112. The spectacle is atrocious, the losses are terrifying. Several thousand British soldiers (more than 4,000 on the evening of 29 June) have been put out of action since the beginning of operation Epsom, which began on 25 June. Montgomery is worried about the turn of his operation and thinks then about a possible stop of Epsom in the days that follow.

On the American side, the 7th Corps of General Collins eliminates the last points of resistance in the city of Cherbourg which is now entirely in the hands of the American soldiers. Repairs to port facilities are beginning, but this may take a long time, perhaps even weeks, before the port can be used in deep water, vital to Allied troops.

North of Saint-Lô, “punch” attacks in the Bois de Bretel region against German defensive positions by the 115th US Infantry Regiment continued. The Allies advance centimeter by centimeter, at the price of a great effort, through the groves and the Norman hedges, impassable fortresses

Killed along with your Rttf on the same day was this 19 year old Austrian farmer's son and SS-Grenadier from Tischberg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grenadier August Rochenschaub 29 June 1944 .jpg (106.8 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by Lloyd I.; 06-05-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: context to research

Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
Edelweisse
Association Member

Thank you Lloyd I. for the specific info...battle situation of that day. The small card with your information provides so much....

Here it is 6 June 2019....75 yrs ago....D-Day

Old 03-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
Edelweisse
Association Member

I just researched the names in the Volksbund grave search and located them all

https://www.volksbund.de/en/graebersuche.html

DEATH CARDS

Ludwig Bastian Oberjaeger (Fallschirm) B: 18 Aug 1923 (Auersmacher) D: 5 Aug 1944 is buried in the military cemetery in Ploudaniel-Lesneven, France. Grave Location/Plot: Block: 8 Row: 7 Grave: 209

Engelbert Bauer (Pz-Grenadier) B: 5 Sept 1924 (Hassel) D: 14 Jul 1943 is buried in the military cemetery in Kursk – Besedino, Russia. Grave Location: Block: 5 Row: 8 Grave: 459

Paul Hemmerling SS-Rottenfuehrer , B: 17 Aug 1922 (St. Ingbert/Saarbruecken) D: 29 June 1944 (Normandie, France) is buried in the military cemetery in La Cambe, France. Grave/Plot: Block: 24 Row: 6 Grave: 231