wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

A Volkspolizei group with MfS awards
Old 02-25-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
Elmar Lang

Default A Volkspolizei group with MfS awards

Hello,

during a trip in the eastern Länder of Germany, I've had some spare time to look for new pieces for my little, DDR collection.

I've had the chance to buy two groups of award documents and variour related papers, belonged to an Officer and an NCO of the Volkspolizei.

The second group still preserves some of the medals, the first is "papers-only", but I was attracted by the fact that the Officer was in the Kriminalpolizei and that two documents, both for the Verdienstmedaille der NVA, bear the signature of Erich Mielke as Minister für Staatssicherheit, while all other diplomas are signed by Minister Maron and, later, Dickel.

What would be the meaning of two merit medals awarded by the MfS, to an apparently Volkspolizei-only officer?

Thank you in advance for any opinion,

best wishes,

Enzo

Old 02-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Enzo - the documents mean at some point the person supported the MfS with results while his professional career was with the VOPO. Very nice and I would be interested in seeing it. Please!!!
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 03-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Elmar Lang

Hello,

as promised, although with some delay, I've taken some pictures from the group of award documents and various papers, related to the professional life and career of the Hauptmann der Kriminalpolizei Dieter Kalz.

He saw his service in Halle a.d. Saale and left active service on August 31st, 1984.

Now, I'd like to post the photos of the two papers for the Verdienstmedaillen der Nationale Volksarmee in Bronze and Silver:, his "Zeugnis" from 1965 for his course of Kriminalistik; his "Abschiedsurkunde" from 1984 and three papers: a Dienstzeugnis from 1984, and two "Glückwünschschreiben" for his 50th and 60th birthday.

The mystery remains, on what could have been the reason for receiving two Ehrenmedaillen from the MfS…

Best wishes,

Enzo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kalz-1.jpg (64.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg Kalz-2.jpg (66.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Kalz-3.jpg (67.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Kalz-4.jpg (42.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Kalz-5.jpg (51.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Kalz-6.jpg (36.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Kalz-7.jpg (79.5 KB, 168 views)

Old 03-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Enzo - that is a great small grouping to have in your collection and I want to say thank you for taking the time to post the photos. I like your grouping, very nice.

If you have the Ehrenmedaillens, can you please post them. Thanks.
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 03-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
Elmar Lang

Dear Ralph,

thank you for your kind comment.

As said, the group includes the papers only; all the decorations and badges are missing. I've took the pictures of the two MfS-related documents only, plus a few, further papers.
More awards documents are composing the group though.

This is the typical destiny, with Orders and Medals of any time and nation: often, the "metallic" part goes away first and families retain the papers, then, with time, what remains go too.

I think that we'll never know for which reasons the career of this Kriminalpolizei officer crossed itself with the MfS...

All the best,

Enzo

Old 03-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Enzo - thanks for the follow up post, it is appreciated.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #7
Tom B

VERY nice document indeed !!!! Tom

Old 03-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #8
seb16trs

Thanks! The short official biography is an appreciable item!!!

Old 03-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Mike G.

Elmar Lang

Thank you for initiating this thread and sharing this part of your collection with the membership.

It brings to the forefront, interesting partnership and interaction between the MfS and other Organizations of the DDR.

Given that the certification and award for some type of mysterious achievement was initiated by the MfS, it is probable that what specifically occurred to merit award to this member of the Criminal Police, by the MfS will never be known.

But on the chance that you are later successfully able to acquire more information about the reasons behind this award, please update this thread.

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”