wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

1916 dwm p08
Old 01-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
logictox

Default 1916 dwm p08

This was my very first Luger. No telling the history as it was purchased from the estate of a WWII veteran but no capture docs so I don't know if he brought it back or purchased it after the war. It had two magazines when I got it, one was a wooden based erfurt proofed un-numbered and the other was a late WWII Haenel Schmeisser which you see in the photos that is also un-numbered. The family said they didn't even know he had it and found it in a plastic gun box when cleaning out his estate. Except for the magazine it is all number matching with an excellent bore and 90% finish with weak straw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22-4.jpg (56.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 22-3.jpg (54.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 22-1.jpg (77.2 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 22-2.jpg (62.0 KB, 182 views)

Old 01-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
g43cart

Nice eye candy!

Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
oldcorps

Nice find! DWM's standards of fit and finish remained excellent during their entire WWI production.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
Johnny Peppers

[url=https://postimg.cc/7fvBY8Jm]

A 1916 DWM with the only Revisions Commission stamp I have seen on a DWM. Common on the Erfurt pistols, sometimes in multiples, but seemingly rare on the DWM pistols.

This speaks to the high quality of the DWM P.08 through the war, with quality falling off only in the last few months of the war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RC1.jpg (70.3 KB, 165 views)

Old 01-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
Sgt. Steiner
Association Member

Very nice Luger. I really love those WW 1 DWM’s. Can’t wait to see your second and third.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
ValhallaMilitaria
Association Member

A real beauty there for sure, they always look better though with the proper wood bottomed magazine in them.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
logictox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
A real beauty there for sure, they always look better though with the proper wood bottomed magazine in them.
In my collection I don't alter anything. I think it's important to keep the magazines, holsters and other items that came with each weapon with them. I actually have some correct DWM magazines that aren't matched to any guns but I've always thought it said something about the time frame of this gun to come with a very late WWII magazine in it. Most of my lugers have matched serial numbered mags thankfully.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
logictox

I'm a pistol collector with a huge collection of S&W, Colt and many modern weapons. Someplace along the way I picked up a few WWII weapons and got hooked on taking photos of WWII weapons but needed to acquire other items so my photos would have all authentic items. That is the reason I have 30+ Lids and no telling the total amount of other items I picked up for my photos. It's just something I enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2449s.jpg (173.4 KB, 110 views)

Old 01-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
ValhallaMilitaria
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logictox View Post
In my collection I don't alter anything. I think it's important to keep the magazines, holsters and other items that came with each weapon with them. I actually have some correct DWM magazines that aren't matched to any guns but I've always thought it said something about the time frame of this gun to come with a very late WWII magazine in it. Most of my lugers have matched serial numbered mags thankfully.
And that of course is the other side of the coin and I understand the reasoning behind it. Nice display photo with the ww2 items, real eye candy right there.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
Monarch 10EE

Great Luger, excellent photography.