wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Gen Lewis Walt grouping
Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
603dasc

Default Gen Lewis Walt grouping

Last year in a major auction I won a North Vietnamese SKS that was a presentation to legendary USMC General Lewis Walt. I was able to work with his heirs to get several other items of his that are Vietnam related and I thought I'd share them here.

Here is the SKS. It is totally mismatched and is definitely rough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen Walt SKS.jpg (99.1 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Gen Walt SKS plaque.jpg (98.8 KB, 244 views)

Old 07-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
603dasc

Here's his 4 star campaign hat and also his general's flags, one through four star. These flags are really nice, about 3 X 5 in size. One star is in the middle; two star on the right; three star on the left; and four star on the bottom.

There is also one of his swagger sticks, a presentation from General Westmoreland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LW Generals Flags.jpg (146.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg LW Campaign hat swagger stick.jpg (113.8 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by 603dasc; 07-07-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
603dasc

Here's the presentation on his swagger stick. Also here are two lighters that were presented to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swagger Stick - Westy.jpg (129.4 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg LW lighters.jpg (95.4 KB, 243 views)

Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
603dasc

Here is a plaque that I already had, and a couple of photos from the family's files.

I really like this grouping that I have been able to put together! It totally completes the rifle. I was trying to get a utility blouse but the family had none, only one of his WWII utilities but they buried him in that. Gen Walt was truly a Marine's Marine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LW Plaque and photos.jpg (96.9 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg LW Plaque.jpg (114.6 KB, 244 views)

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Alan Smith
Association Member

Wow - great stuff! I really enjoy seeing the captured SKS's, AK's and other firearms that were used as presentation pieces. You have done a very good job in getting the grouping together.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Jeff Ashenfelter
Association Member

Just so you know, that rifle is a very rare CKC 1 that was manufactured in North Vietnam. It is supposed to be rather crude. Few firearm collectors even know this but that rifle is coservatively speaking worth probably 10 times what a normal SKS would bring. Thanks for posting. Again a very RARE rifle. Jeff

Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
603dasc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ashenfelter View Post
Just so you know, that rifle is a very rare CKC 1 that was manufactured in North Vietnam. It is supposed to be rather crude. Few firearm collectors even know this but that rifle is coservatively speaking worth probably 10 times what a normal SKS would bring. Thanks for posting. Again a very RARE rifle. Jeff
Yes, I know the rarity as I used to have four NVA sks'. I got rid of all but this one earlier this year as I don't collect sks', I collect NVA sniper rifles and pistols and headgear mostly and I didn't want to have that much money tied up in something that is not my main area of focus. I did hang onto at least one of each type of the more uncommon ones (NVA, East German, N Korean, Russian).

Old 11-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
USCollect
Association Member

Fantastic group, thanks!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
Granate

The jury is still out on the North Vietnames SKS. A few collecters will tell you that they were built from piecec and parts then their star put on the side. My question is why would they bother to make their own when they recieved SKS's from Russia and the Chinese for free, especially from Russia in the middle 1960's

MACVSOG Historian

Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
603dasc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granate View Post
The jury is still out on the North Vietnames SKS. A few collecters will tell you that they were built from piecec and parts then their star put on the side. My question is why would they bother to make their own when they recieved SKS's from Russia and the Chinese for free, especially from Russia in the middle 1960's

MACVSOG Historian
You are correct, the jury is still out on the North Viet SKS. Major collectors do disagree however. Some feel as you do, that they were assembled from parts shipped in from China and just star 1 marked in North Vietnam, much as some RPG's from China and latewar SVD's from Russia were. Others, pointing to the abrupt and defined life cycle (1961 - 1965) they exhibit, feel that there were factories manufacturing them in North Vietnam but that the factories were knocked out in early war US air raids. This topic has been argued extensively in Gunboards Forums. A good website to look at for photos is Yooper John's, where he covers all sks' extensively.

Unscientifically based on the numbers of bringbacks I have seen from all phases of the war, I'd have to believe that even in the mid 60's the prime supplier of sks' to the North Vietnamese were the Chinese. Papered Russian sks' are very uncommon; I've seen very few of them.

I have collected Vietnam artifacts for about 25 years and the one phrase I let go of long ago is "Why would they do that?". I've asked that same question about many items I have encountered and I finally quit wondering "why" and just accept that they did things that I cannot rationalize.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Granate

Sounds good to me! I get that while collecting INERT Hand & Rifle Grenades. I am a firm believer that rifle grenades are the only way to go, and to get rid of the 40mm. The only usage I see is the Mk.19, and I still believe that R/G's could do it better. At one time, I think it was a year or so ago when the Marines were lookin at going back to the R/G's