wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Tinnies & Political Badges Forum

Tinnies & Political Badges Forum All Political badges, Hitler Youth, Sports/Veteran organizations and Tinnies.

DAF pin in 8K gold
Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Matthew
Expelled

Default DAF pin in 8K gold

Finally arrived! I presume there is no list of recipients that has surfaced someplace to match the numbers of those with names?

cheers
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4519.jpg (27.1 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4520.jpg (45.0 KB, 367 views)

Old 11-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Br. James
Association Member

Hi Matt,

What a beauty you have there! I believe there has been previous discussion on this DAF honor award here on WAF, though I've forgotten the content of the comments. I seem to recall that someone here once showed us a cased example. Like most other pieces with award control numbers such as the SA Sport Badge and various Gau and HJ awards, no central key list of the numbers and awardees appears to exist...yet, anyway. But I'm sure it's a rare piece and I congratulate you on landing it for your collection!

Br. James

Old 11-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Silesien
Expelled

Who told you the gold content was only 8K ???? The German gold marking 585 is for 14kt, so if that 588 is a gold marking, it means it's a tiny bit more than 14kt. But is that nr. 588 a gold marking or is it a serial nr. ?

Old 11-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
Stan
Association Member

But the marking isn't 585 its 333 Gold.

Nice pin Matthew. Also nice to see it with its pin retainer.

Stan

Last edited by Stan; 11-28-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
Peter J.

Lovely acquisition

cheers
Peter

Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
RonR
Distinguished Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. James View Post
Hi Matt,

What a beauty you have there! I believe there has been previous discussion on this DAF honor award here on WAF, though I've forgotten the content of the comments. I seem to recall that someone here once showed us a cased example. Like most other pieces with award control numbers such as the SA Sport Badge and various Gau and HJ awards, no central key list of the numbers and awardees appears to exist...yet, anyway. But I'm sure it's a rare piece and I congratulate you on landing it for your collection!

Br. James
Matthew,

Wonderful acquisition!

I believe this was the discussion,,,

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=DAF

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CasedGoldDAFStickpincasetop.jpg (69.8 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg CasedGoldDAFStickpinpininopencase.jpg (36.5 KB, 365 views)

oldie but goldie
Old 11-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Matthew
Expelled

Default oldie but goldie

Thank You Gentlemen for your kind words.
Silesien: the gold content stamp is the small incused '333' on the upper swastika arm. 588 would be the award number.
After looking at the other thread- It would appear that there were at least two different styles of those. Does anyone know the reason for that? Would one be considered earlier than the other going on the RZM/low number question or does it have to do with something else (construction etc.)? Or were the unmarked ones private purchase or replacements/duplicates? Did any of the unmarked ones surfaced cased? And finally- did anyone actually see the elusive blue/green case that apparently some of those came with? And which badge did it contain?
Lots of questions I know but perhaps some here know something? Or does anyone care to speculate?

I hope someday the list will surface for us to be able to put faces to the numbers for those and TENO stickpins and honor awards.
I believe years ago a stash was found of the small (but numbered) Teno stickpins that were damaged during production and quite literally used for a landfill (we're talking bags full so into 1000s).
Does anyone remember if they were actually numbered at that stage ?
I am asking as I have seen some really high serial numbers on some of those.
On the other hand this thought would probably be better served under TENO thread.

cheers
Matt

PS. Lovely examples by all- thanks for showing!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
JoeW
Association Member

I was lucky to acquire an example of the DAF gold pin with number 561. The pin seems identical to the standard DAF membership pin, but now it is 333 gold, finely finished and with impressed numbers of several hundred. Would it be for senior members? I have never observed a DAF membership book with a member number. Would the gold badges have been issued for special accomplishments within the DAF? For example, the Kriegsmusterbetriebe received the honor to fly the DAF flag with gold DAF insignia and gold fringe. Perhaps there is some association there. But I have found no documentation on this gold badge so far in my search.

Premium paid for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557

Old 05-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Br. James
Association Member

Joe's last note sounds logical to me. Perhaps this gold badge was awarded for special merit and the impressed number was keyed to a master list throughout the DAF structure? That would seem to be in accord with the way Gau Honor Badges and various national awards were apparently numbered: they were awarded at a particular time and/or at an annual ceremony, and the numbers represented the order in which the badges were awarded. Just a thought...

Br. James

Old 05-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Jon Fish
Association Member

Nice, Joe. I own the gold pin that belonged at one time to Fritz Sauckel and came to me with his gold party badge, I presume these would be for the purpose you mention.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
Jon Fish
Association Member

Here are his Gold badges...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FS GPB 011.jpg (114.6 KB, 257 views)

Old 05-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #12
JoeW
Association Member

Thanks for posting the impressive pair again Jon. I was looking at the second image of the verso of the badges that you posted in January 2015. I thought the DAF badge had no number? But I happened on the thread linked below and found your badge is numbered 8.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=401867

With this thread and the above and the other posted, I find five numbers so far for the RZM variant: 145, 179 (case only), 536, 561, 588, 874, 1328 and 1343 (w/case). The badge with unmarked verso is 14. Does anyone have any additional numbers?

Last edited by JoeW; 05-17-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #13
der-hase-fee

Here is #980, which I unfortunately missed a couple weeks ago.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #14
JoeW
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der-hase-fee View Post
Here is #980, which I unfortunately missed a couple weeks ago.
Thanks Andreas. I really did poorly in typing up my insertion above and must correct it now.

"With this thread and the above and the other posted, I find ten numbers so far for the RZM variant: 8, 145, 179 (case only), 536, 561, 588, 874, 980, 1328 and 1343 (w/case). The badge with unmarked verso is 14. Does anyone have any additional numbers?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #15
JoeW
Association Member

I have tried to locate some period reference to the golden pins, but have had no success as yet. I did not find a mention of the pins in any of the earlier "reference books" on TR medals and badges either, but decided to check the copy of the Angolia/Littlejohn book on the German Labor Organizations and found it mentioned.

As usual, a rather uninformative description other than the creation of a couple names in German. And of course, no reference to their source for information which is typical of these works. But the suggestion of "DAF goldene Ehrennadel" does have some merit. I think of the appearance of the golden DAF insignia and can only associate it with the award of the DAF Musterbetriebe or later Kriegsmusterbetriebe.

I would posit the theory that these golden DAF honor badges were presented to the Betriebesführers (Factory Management/Owners) of those factories that received the golden DAF flags. This is basically what Stan opined in the earlier thread. But as I pointed out in the posted link above the designation of the factory is only good for a year , so why give the owner the pin? Has anyone seen one of the Besitzurkunde mentioned by Angolia/Littlejohn?

Last edited by JoeW; 05-23-2016 at 09:14 AM.