wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Full Röhm for review 🧐
Old 12-16-2019, 05:35 AM   #1
Gozzy90

Default Full Röhm for review 🧐

Hi Guys,

Looking at this E Pack full Röhm and wanted some opinions on the etching. Sorry the pictures are not the best quality, I’m waiting on more. Thanks in advance, most appreciated.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
Gozzy90

Anyone have an idea on originality? I don’t like the look of the logo with EPS - the P doesn’t look correct. Would like some people who have experience with full rohm daggers. Thank you

Old 12-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Serge M.

Sure, no problem.
However, you have picked a Pack Full Rohm, a variant that is NOT the textbook accepted version with the solid hammer head.
That said, it has been floated around the last decade or so that Pack had issued a couple (at least) variant's of Rohm dedicated SA/NSKK dagger with variants in the dedication and the logo.
There is one accepted by most all Pack Rohm's with a solid Hammer Seigfreid logo, but the one you show is clearly not it.

OK, I know, is yours real ?
Well I can't say 100% of it's bad or good, and I've studied these for awhile.
This so called variant many collectors don't like but don't want to commit a opinion currently due to the uncertainty of this feature, probably the reason nobody posted a opinion yet on this thread (my guess).
To note, this variant (from what I hear) has been the most returned Full Rohm to dealers.
That's not saying it's BAD, just saying that there is discussion about this 'variant' with Rohm dagger aficionados collectors.
That said, some very experienced dealer/collectors DO like it.
See this Tom Wittmann Presentation from the MAX 2015 show go to the end 1.46 minutes: https://youtu.be/pNwU1XvPsdk

So what does all that mean ?
Well you decide.
One thing for sure is the scabbard you show is not a Pack scabbard. Note how the scabbard upper fitting fits poorly to the crossguard ? So if this is a 'good' period Rohm dagger the scabbard has been replaced ?

If you bought it be willing years later have it returned due to the controversy, or until Tom Wittmann's SA tome is published and settles the controversy as indicated in the above seminar.

For Me, I don't want controversy on any Full Rohm dagger in my collection. I want a 'One Looker', and you should too. All IMO.

-Serge

Old 12-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
ERM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge M. View Post
Suntil Tom Wittmann's SA tome is published and settles the controversy as indicated in the above seminar.
Sadly, it appears he is never going publish.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:33 AM   #5
Gozzy90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge M. View Post
Sure, no problem.
However, you have picked a Pack Full Rohm, a variant that is NOT the textbook accepted version with the solid hammer head.
That said, it has been floated around the last decade or so that Pack had issued a couple (at least) variant's of Rohm dedicated SA/NSKK dagger with variants in the dedication and the logo.
There is one accepted by most all Pack Rohm's with a solid Hammer Seigfreid logo, but the one you show is clearly not it.

OK, I know, is yours real ?
Well I can't say 100% of it's bad or good, and I've studied these for awhile.
This so called variant many collectors don't like but don't want to commit a opinion currently due to the uncertainty of this feature, probably the reason nobody posted a opinion yet on this thread (my guess).
To note, this variant (from what I hear) has been the most returned Full Rohm to dealers.
That's not saying it's BAD, just saying that there is discussion about this 'variant' with Rohm dagger aficionados collectors.
That said, some very experienced dealer/collectors DO like it.
See this Tom Wittmann Presentation from the MAX 2015 show go to the end 1.46 minutes: https://youtu.be/pNwU1XvPsdk

So what does all that mean ?
Well you decide.
One thing for sure is the scabbard you show is not a Pack scabbard. Note how the scabbard upper fitting fits poorly to the crossguard ? So if this is a 'good' period Rohm dagger the scabbard has been replaced ?

If you bought it be willing years later have it returned due to the controversy, or until Tom Wittmann's SA tome is published and settles the controversy as indicated in the above seminar.

For Me, I don't want controversy on any Full Rohm dagger in my collection. I want a 'One Looker', and you should too. All IMO.

-Serge
Great reply. Thanks for your time Serge 😀

Old 12-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Br. James
Association Member

"Great reply. Thanks for your time Serge"

No doubt about it! I couldn't agree more -- the patience, the experience and the balance of this reply is the very reason why Serge M. is the Moderator of this Forum. We are blessed to have him here!

Br. James

Dedication
Old 12-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #7
Mat J

Default Dedication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. James View Post
"Great reply. Thanks for your time Serge"

No doubt about it! I couldn't agree more -- the patience, the experience and the balance of this reply is the very reason why Serge M. is the Moderator of this Forum. We are blessed to have him here!

Br. James
+1 Serge you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Upon first inspection of the dagger in question, what stood out to me was the dedication. It's flawless. To the point it was odd only because the rest of the obverse clearly shows runner marks, scratches etc. You would think the wear would at some point contribute to at least some imperfections in the dedication.

This doesn't seem to be the case here. Also there (at least from where I sit) appears to be a difference in the burnishing in the etch and dedication vs. the makers mark. The makers marks' burnishing appears lighter. Again my hats off to Serge for his in-depth analysis of this dagger. You just never stop learning here.

To be clear, I'm not poo pooing this dagger. Just pointing out what my eyes saw. But, thats why I stick to Eickhorns. IMO, you could probably write a book just on the Röhm SA/SS daggers.