wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #16
Chet Sowersby
Lifetime Member

Robb,
Even if one were to use the term "out of the woodwork" it does not make the item legit.

Chet

Old 10-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
ROBB
Association Member

Thats true but they do come out of the woodwork from dead peoples houses without being anywhere near a collector or dealer with Black handles. Rob

Old 10-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #18
ROBB
Association Member

I agree with most peoples thoughts in that they are not Railway daggers but just an anomally , perhaps a crate of rejected black handled Klass daggers was found at the factory and handed out amongst the GI'S . Rob

Old 10-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
Stepdale
Association Member

All,
Thank you for the feedback and I see that most are not believers in these even though several dealers continue to sell them as railway daggers. Either way, the gentleman who has this has informed me that he is sending all of his items to auction (I don't know which one or ones) as this will be the easiest way for him to sell them.
Dale

Old 10-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
Frogprince

I've never seen a Klaas of either type with a military acceptance marking. Believing them to just be a manufacturer's variation for the TR era private market that also accepted the painted wood types - in a time when materials were drying up for non-military production (circa 1942 or earlier). Also being of the opinion that some now acknowledged "bad actors" like Atwood and perhaps some others could have had sources in Germany that made some black grips for them, and the 'collector market'. FP

Old 11-01-2019, 01:01 AM   #21
GaryMJ

Regarding this dagger, it has NO bearing on being a Railway dagger or not.

It does not have a black grip, so is therefor not a Railway even if you are a believer. It has a white grip over black base, so it was never manufactured to be a black gripped dagger. The possibility of someone removing the original white paint to "make it" a Railway dagger, doesn't make it a Railway, but rather a fraudulent misrepresentation.

This is simply a know Klaas type Army, white over black Trolon, they MADE THEM like this as a Heer Dagger.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:04 AM   #22
MrMiler

Good info. Thank you guys.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #23
Bulldog

I used to think these white painted black gripped daggers were ok, but if the unpainted black gripped ones are post war then perhaps these are also just post war black grips painted white (well before the high price for a so called railway dagger was realized) to look like an army dagger.

Russ.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:27 AM   #24
dr01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I used to think these white painted black gripped daggers were ok, but if the unpainted black gripped ones are post war then perhaps these are also just post war black grips painted white (well before the high price for a so called railway dagger was realized) to look like an army dagger.

Russ.
The grip of a black grip Klaas army dagger is not an unpainted one. The paint was simply removed post war. I am sure not always with bad intentions. Sometimes the paint is so worn that large parts of the grip show the black material underneath it. I can immagine that at the beginning of the hobby many collectors just removed the paint because they wanted to make the dagger look better.

Danny

Old 11-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #25
fdodge
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMJ View Post

This is simply a know Klaas type Army, white over black Trolon, they MADE THEM like this as a Heer Dagger.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #26
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr01 View Post
The grip of a black grip Klaas army dagger is not an unpainted one. The paint was simply removed post war.

Danny
But how can we know when it was made and painted, perhaps they were made and painted late 45 or 46 etc, and when some devious person in the 50s/60s saw the black underneath took it all off and invented the 1st model railway dagger, just a thought.

Russ.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #27
dr01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
But how can we know when it was made and painted, perhaps they were made and painted late 45 or 46 etc, and when some devious person in the 50s/60s saw the black underneath took it all off and invented the 1st model railway dagger, just a thought.

Russ.
I have seen them in all kind of conditions. Some with almost no wear to some where large parts of the paint was gone. I am convinced the wear was the result of actual wearing the dagger pre-1945.

Danny