wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum Uniforms, insignias and armbands.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #31
Steve Sherlock
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammo man View Post
Sometimes the most simple answer holds true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Occam's razor.

Steve

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #32
Unfront

Taking a closer look, Im going to throw in with a few others, there is nothing wrong with the bridles. I have three tropical tunic's (one 1st pattern and two 2nd patrens) all three of them showcase different runs of material used under pockets, under collars, *bridles*, and other parts of the interior not visible from the exterior. The sewing is a dead match in tension and in color to the test of the tunic. I'm totally comfortable with those bridles. You have a stunning piece!

Old 09-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #33
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammo man View Post
Sometimes the most simple answer holds true
Thanks kammo man & Hptm. Fuhrmann for getting to the solution of the openings of the pocket. Hptm. Fuhrmann's theory was correct in post #24 on how the bottom pocket seam became shreads and Owen pinpointed the reason. Earlier Bob alluded to this as well

The story goes the jacket was found in a rag pile and had to be washed several times to clean it up for sale. Kinda like those brick/pink smocks, sorry couldn't resist

Old 09-28-2018, 01:46 AM   #34
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
Occam's razor.

Steve
Hi Steve thanks for the confirmation.

Believe another Sherlock once said "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable or obvious, must be the truth."

I really didn't want to have to go and start looking for a set of DAK EM pioneer straps

Old 09-28-2018, 02:17 AM   #35
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfront View Post
Taking a closer look, Im going to throw in with a few others, there is nothing wrong with the bridles. I have three tropical tunic's (one 1st pattern and two 2nd patrens) all three of them showcase different runs of material used under pockets, under collars, *bridles*, and other parts of the interior not visible from the exterior. The sewing is a dead match in tension and in color to the test of the tunic. I'm totally comfortable with those bridles. You have a stunning piece!
Thanks fellow DAK collector, appreciate your thoughts on the bridles and the tunic. And would like to thank everyone that took the time to post their thoughts or sent an em or pm.

The stitching holes on the eagle line up exactly with the stitch line on the jacket. But the eagle has been re-attached by tacking with olive thread at least once post war. Here is a blurry photo that tries to capture the light ghost underneath the eagle compared to the ghost under the collar which is very similar in hand.

Anyone that can add a comment please feel free to do so ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0027.jpg (126.0 KB, 188 views)

Old 09-28-2018, 07:41 AM   #36
Glenn McInnes
Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post

Am fairly certain this was a POW jacket worn for some time without the eagle & shoulderstraps which explains the lack of a ghost in those locations...and possibly the slits were done for work as a POW ?

Tim

A Veteran once told me that when they captured prisoners they would sometimes cut the bottom of the pockets to remove the contents.

Apparently it was safer to do it this way..I once had a POW tunic with the same cuts in the pockets.

Glenn

Old 09-30-2018, 03:38 AM   #37
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member

This case has been re-opened, thanks to Glenn

Sherlock sat back and casually lit his pipe. Watson my dear colleague, we have been looking at this case from the wrong direction. Had thought that the cuts had been made from inside the pockets outwards ? Actually the cuts are from the outside of the pockets inwards. Amazing Holmes ! replied Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
A Veteran once told me that when they captured prisoners they would sometimes cut the bottom of the pockets to remove the contents.

Apparently it was safer to do it this way..I once had a POW tunic with the same cuts in the pockets.

Glenn
That sounds like something right out of the Band of Brothers and rings true. The cuts are too crude to be natural breaks in the cloth. They did fray from repeated washing as kammo man & Hptm. Fuhrmann describe. Also NZMark mentioned earlier that the cuts had preceded the fraying from washing.

The vet's contribution and Glenn's confirmation of at least one other POW tunic with similar cuts implies that the slits capture a defining moment in time for this tunic and it's original Owner...

And yet another surprise from this tunic. During the last close examination of the lower collars, have found the ghost of a tk in the right collar but no prong holes visible. The left collar does not display much of a ghost but a prong hole is clearly visable as well as the imprint of the folded prongs on the underside. Could be some sort of post war addition or possibly original ? Post #20 shows the lower collar the best in this thread. Will take some pics of the lower collars when time permits.
So maybe not black piped straps but rosa afterall

With appreciation Glenn
t

Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 09-30-2018 at 04:27 AM.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #38
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member

Here are a couple more photos of the tunic. The right lower collar which looks like it might have a ghost from a tk ? The lower left which has no ghost and a tiny hole which is barely visible from the underside ? Last is the lower right sleeve which seems to have a slight ghost from an AKCT ? or maybe i'm seeing things...

Would like to hear everyone's evaluation, opinion, or conjecture

And thank you again Glenn for letting us all know who cut the slits in the pockets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0029.jpg (181.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0040.jpg (182.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0031.jpg (123.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0036.jpg (175.0 KB, 70 views)

Old 10-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #39
Mark Gibson

A nice tunic Tim. Nothing to add on the slits.
As for shadows from skulls, sometimes we see things that we want to see not what's actually there. Any faded tunic with originally applied skulls won't need questioning.

Mark

Old 10-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #40
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gibson View Post
A nice tunic Tim. Nothing to add on the slits.
As for shadows from skulls, sometimes we see things that we want to see not what's actually there. Any faded tunic with originally applied skulls won't need questioning.

Mark
Thanks for the compliment and confirmation. Was pretty sure i was seeing things or sort of post war impression. Good point about original tk's leaving evidence