wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
zvezdah1

Some years ago Sarco Surplus here in the US sold demilled cr39s. I bought one these were cr39s that were cut in half at the receiver, unfortunately I didn't receive mated halves as my original intent was to weld back together even tho non functioning. I did compare the cr39 with a mas 36 and to make an accurate conversion involved quite alot of work, not only changing the barrel length, the receiver needed to have a notch machined and the sites are different. And of course the lower wood on the barrel is different too, as I recall the cr39 front handguard was narrower and squared off.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALERY226 View Post
Bonjour,
Beautiful pictures and what a lesson for french reenactors after a such work!
However please accept the following friendly criticisms:

oubts.
•And last but not the least, you’ve to know that fake MAS 36 CR39’ve been made. Complete folding stocks ‘ve been sold by the French ordnance corps, unfortunately aluminium stocks were broken. A guy bought the lot and few years later re made the aluminium stocks. Basic deactivated MAS 36’ve been disguised in CR39 with wood handguard modified and CR 39 stamped on the left side. Some are currently sold as original!
Really nice pics mates!
Cheers
Valery

French canteens?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
bolo

Question French canteens?

what years were these type of French canteens produced? I see a soldier wearing a couple like this?

I thought they were post DBP era?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #18
skot44panzer

the canteen is mle 52.
i am told that they were used late in indochine. the early models have bakalite tops which over the years was replaced by plastic. they are still in service now.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
skot44panzer

here are a few more from the photoshoot:

Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #20
skot44panzer

here are some more.
french para portrait photos

Old 10-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #21
603dasc

"And last but not the least, you’ve to know that fake MAS 36 CR39’ve been made. Complete folding stocks ‘ve been sold by the French ordnance corps, unfortunately aluminium stocks were broken. A guy bought the lot and few years later re made the aluminium stocks. Basic deactivated MAS 36’ve been disguised in CR39 with wood handguard modified and CR 39 stamped on the left side. Some are currently sold as original!"

I used to have a CR39 with capture papers that came from a guy I later found was one of the premier sellers of weapons with faked papers. It looked right as rain but when I parted with it and the new owner pulled it apart you could see that it was a recent fake.

These reinactment photos are by far the best I've seen tho!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #22
kiwi1917

The Speidel type metal adjustable and twistable wrist bands were popular during the 1960's, and not around during the DBP era. The guy wearing one on his wrist should find another wrist band that's typical of the period.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #23
D. Michael Kim

Skot, in one word O U T S T A N D I N G !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #24
zvezdah1

Actually, in the late 80s SARCO in the US bought a huge quantity of cr 39s that had been demilled by being sawn in half at the receiver. When I bought mine I hoped that I would get a matched set that could be welded back together but didn't work out that way.
It was my original plan to take the buttstock (which I received undamaged) and the wood handguards which are different than a standard mas 36, and make one up, but I started comparing the differences between the two weapons, and quite significant, not just the barrel length but the receiver, etc. were also different.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603dasc View Post
"And last but not the least, you’ve to know that fake MAS 36 CR39’ve been made. Complete folding stocks ‘ve been sold by the French ordnance corps, unfortunately aluminium stocks were broken. A guy bought the lot and few years later re made the aluminium stocks. Basic deactivated MAS 36’ve been disguised in CR39 with wood handguard modified and CR 39 stamped on the left side. Some are currently sold as original!"

I used to have a CR39 with capture papers that came from a guy I later found was one of the premier sellers of weapons with faked papers. It looked right as rain but when I parted with it and the new owner pulled it apart you could see that it was a recent fake.

These reinactment photos are by far the best I've seen tho!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
zvezdah1

Simple leather band will do the trick, exc. photography and simulations btw!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1917 View Post
The Speidel type metal adjustable and twistable wrist bands were popular during the 1960's, and not around during the DBP era. The guy wearing one on his wrist should find another wrist band that's typical of the period.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #26
603dasc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvezdah1 View Post
Actually, in the late 80s SARCO in the US bought a huge quantity of cr 39s that had been demilled by being sawn in half at the receiver. When I bought mine I hoped that I would get a matched set that could be welded back together but didn't work out that way.
It was my original plan to take the buttstock (which I received undamaged) and the wood handguards which are different than a standard mas 36, and make one up, but I started comparing the differences between the two weapons, and quite significant, not just the barrel length but the receiver, etc. were also different.

Chris
The worst part of my CR39 episode was that I passed on a legit CR39 that was jungle repaired and really salty with a ton of character and obvious longtime jungle use, because I already had one (I just didn't know it was fake). Another "collector" bought it and "restored" it to original configuration. It broke my heart, and all that history was lost.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #27
The Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603dasc View Post
The worst part of my CR39 episode was that I passed on a legit CR39 that was jungle repaired and really salty with a ton of character and obvious longtime jungle use, because I already had one (I just didn't know it was fake). Another "collector" bought it and "restored" it to original configuration. It broke my heart, and all that history was lost.
Sadly, I have the same story with a jump jacket I got from a former 1er RCP paratrooper. It had a long rip on the skirt which the vet told me was due to mortar schrapnels. This jacket I sold along my Indochina stuff. Last time I saw it, the hole had been carefully sewn "for a neatter appearance" (and the guy knew about the original story).

Eric

Last edited by The Saint; 10-24-2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Info added

Old 10-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #28
skot44panzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1917 View Post
i spend a lot of time and effort researching, before photoshoots. if you would like to look through some period photos of indochine/ DIEN BIEN PHU, you will see there are a lot of paras/ soldiers wearing such watches. also the production of such wristbands started as early as the late 1940's. please do your research. i will post some indo photos for you to see
cheers
skot

Old 10-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #29
Beau Brummel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skot44panzer View Post
i spend a lot of time and effort researching, before photoshoots. if you would like to look through some period photos of indochine/ DIEN BIEN PHU, you will see there are a lot of paras/ soldiers wearing such watches. also the production of such wristbands started as early as the late 1940's. please do your research. i will post some indo photos for you to see
cheers
skot

Expanders like this can be found In catalogues from the late 40's, and I believe the original patent actually belongs to a French company and was granted just pre war.

Fantastic shots Skott! Wish I wasn't so old and fat and farty, I'd love to play. Still, If I drop the weight perhaps your medic could use me as a casualty .

keep up the good work mate, Rocking!

Yours, Guy.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #30
skot44panzer

Thanks Guy.
i'm sure we can find a part for you in the next photoshoot!
i will be posting some photos up soon of my fallschirmjager reenactment group.
cheers
skot