wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Luftwaffe boot knives - collection
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
shellmac
Association Member

Default Luftwaffe boot knives - collection

Hi all, finaly i finished my Luftwaffe boot knife collection. There are all known variants with this marking on the blade:

1) Luftwaffe acceptance stamp eagle 5
2) Luftwaffe acceptance stamp eagle 6 (i have two pieces)
3) Luftwaffe acceptance stamp eagle 5 from one side and from the other side is etched RBNr. 0/0561/0020. It is code for Weyersberg factory. This is the only one known original RBNr. marking on this Luftwaffe boot knife. Exactly the same style marking was also used on gravity knife type II.
4) Acceptance stamp letter S
5) Acceptance stamp lette W

These all markings were used for these knives. Also exists original pieces without any marking on the blade, what we can consider as sixth variation of this knife.

There are of course also a lot of fakes/copies on the market. But they are not so good quality like original pieces and they have mostly bad markings like "hat1942" or logo of "Anton Wingen" and bad RBNr. 0018 on the other side of blade.

Question for all: Do anybody know for sure what exactly the acceptance letter S and letter W mean? Thanks for any information

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Last edited by shellmac; 07-11-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
shellmac
Association Member

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
shellmac
Association Member

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.JPG

Old 07-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
shellmac
Association Member

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Old 07-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
Mauser888

OUTSTANDING collection!!

Old 07-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Jeff V

Wonderful! Thanks for posting these!

Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
phild

OP question- Does anyone know meaning of the W and or S stamps?
My Answer- No, I do not for sure nor have ever seen primary source information regarding those stamps. I do, however, feel very confident that these letters are makers marks and perhaps inspection evidence of Weyersberg and SMF respectively.

I also feel, but can NOT prove, that these marks were used in place of the luftampt stamp because knives so marked (these and the FKM) were not procured by the Luftwaffe.

The only other explanation is that at some point very late in the war the LW quit using luftampt inspection stamps on the edged weapons that they accepted.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
shellmac
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
OP question- Does anyone know meaning of the W and or S stamps?
My Answer- No, I do not for sure nor have ever seen primary source information regarding those stamps. I do, however, feel very confident that these letters are makers marks and perhaps inspection evidence of Weyersberg and SMF respectively.

I also feel, but can NOT prove, that these marks were used in place of the luftampt stamp because knives so marked (these and the FKM) were not procured by the Luftwaffe.

The only other explanation is that at some point very late in the war the LW quit using luftampt inspection stamps on the edged weapons that they accepted.
Hi Phild, i think the same like you, these letters are very late war acceptance stamp. Cause for example we can find letter S on the spike of late war gravity knife type II and from the other side of spike is RBNr. code 0/0561/0019 (code for SMF producer). So why should be there two factory codes? Letter S and also RBNr. code?

Someone says the letter S is acceptance stamp for Heer units. But who knows where is truth 😕

Old 07-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
JohnZ
Association Member

Shellmac,

Outstanding collection and condition. Very nice.

What do you think of cof and the Eickhorn over shoulder marked fighting knives?

John

Old 07-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

Very nice collection Jiri!

Fyi, my mint 2nd model gravity knife has the RBNr of 0/0561/0019 on the spike.

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #11
phild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Z. View Post
Very nice collection Jiri!

Fyi, my mint 2nd model gravity knife has the RBNr of 0/0561/0019 on the spike.
Is also LW eagle acceptance stamped (or S) reverse side of the spike?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:56 AM   #12
PeterM7

Great collection, text book examples really. My understanding was the company Paul Weyersberg (a large edged weapon producer) used the full range of numbers in RBNr 0/0561/0018-20. you mention you thought SMF used "19", I was wondering where that bit of information came from?

Old 07-12-2019, 05:41 AM   #13
AndyC
Association Member

Great looking collection

Andy

Old 07-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
shellmac
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM7 View Post
Great collection, text book examples really. My understanding was the company Paul Weyersberg (a large edged weapon producer) used the full range of numbers in RBNr 0/0561/0018-20. you mention you thought SMF used "19", I was wondering where that bit of information came from?
Hi Peter, there are so many documents or articles where are explain all RBNr. codes. And for you:

RBNr. code ending 0018 was for Anton Wingen
RBNr. code ending 0019 was for SMF
RBNr. code ending 0020 was for Weyersberg

Old 07-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #15
phild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellmac View Post
Hi Phild, i think the same like you, these letters are very late war acceptance stamp. Cause for example we can find letter S on the spike of late war gravity knife type II and from the other side of spike is RBNr. code 0/0561/0019 (code for SMF producer). So why should be there two factory codes? Letter S and also RBNr. code?

Someone says the letter S is acceptance stamp for Heer units. But who knows where is truth 😕
That is a good point as to why the marks are probably more of an inspection and or acceptance stamp than a makers ID stamp, they do also correlate to those two makers I believe.

I’m not sure about if the luftampt eagle was ever dropped from these or the FKM, say late war or if the S and W marked knives were procured by the Heer and or W-SS Instead of the LW. We know that Heer and W-SS procured the FKM and I could see one or both procuring these as well.

It is Difficult for me to see a huge LW demand for these after 1943 as they essentially divested themselves of their 22 or so field divisions near the end of 43.

Some need in HG and the FJ divisions, I get that, but my belief is that the LW demands for these in 44-45 left a good bit of unused capacity