wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Political Organizations

Political Organizations All aspects of Third Reich Political Organizations, including the SA, NSDAP, NSKK, NSFK, HJ, DAF, NSKOV, etc.

SA Südwest uniform ensemble
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
RBailey
Association Member

Default SA Südwest uniform ensemble

Hey guys, I want to share my completed SA uniform. It took awhile to finish.

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3489.jpg (75.3 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3491.jpg (122.9 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3492.jpg (62.2 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3494.jpg (84.3 KB, 267 views)

Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
RBailey
Association Member

SA Sudwest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3495.jpg (170.9 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3497.jpg (86.6 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3501.jpg (148.8 KB, 278 views)

Old 07-09-2019, 01:07 AM   #3
ivbaust
Association Member

Now that is a great SA display Very nice

The orange colored uniform of the SA group Südwest is my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-09-2019, 01:56 AM   #4
wilhelm Saris

Location: in the south of the Netherlands (between Venlo and Eindhoven), near the German and Belgium border

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivbaust View Post
Now that is a great SA display. Very nice. The orange colored uniform of the SA group Südwest is my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Looks okay too me. The only "problem" I have is the use of the cap, made from heavier wool. With the brownshirt officially the brown twill cap should be used and worn!
The ensemble should be worn with a double-claw, instead of the buckle. But that is all as officially with regulations. One sees the use of a buckle also in later years
occasionally.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
yesthatsme
Association Member

nice one

Old 07-11-2019, 02:35 AM   #6
rebeldevil89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
Looks okay too me. The only "problem" I have is the use of the cap, made from heavier wool. With the brownshirt officially the brown twill cap should be used and worn!
The ensemble should be worn with a double-claw, instead of the buckle. But that is all as officially with regulations. One sees the use of a buckle also in later years
occasionally.
I agree partially with this, the pants and kepi do not match the shirt, they are later models.
The belt buckle however I think is accurate, unless I'm mistaken? Double claw belts were for Political Leaders.

The shirt, with cross strap, tie, belt, buckle, badge, etc is fantastic! I know just how hard it is to assemble these things. Really great to see this SA shirt coming together, and thanks for sharing!

Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 AM   #7
wilhelm Saris

Location: in the south of the Netherlands (between Venlo and Eindhoven), near the German and Belgium border

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldevil89 View Post
I agree partially with this, the pants and kepi do not match the shirt, they are later models.
The belt buckle however I think is accurate, unless I'm mistaken? Double claw belts were for Political Leaders.
The pants from this material could one wear together with a brownshirt. The heavier wool kepi officially should be worn with the tunic. It is all described in the regulations.

When one uses a bigger 1937 eagle, then there always should be a double-claw.
With order Qu nr. 1543 from July 7, 1932 it was said that leaders and men were allowed to wear the double-claw. At that moment the regular buckles still was in use.
When a new set had to be purchased one always had to get a belt with double-claw. This was once more repeated in the "Verordnungsblatt der Obersten SA-Führung"
from November 19, 1934. There they asked for attention to the same publication, number 16 from December 1, 1933, where it was said that it was impossible to use
two types of buckles. The double-claw was the official one. Units that had ordered the contrary were reprimanded.

To be accurate: in the "Verordnungsblatt der Obersten SA-Führung", number 21 from April 29, 1934 the use of the double-claw was explained, along with drawings
how this one should look like and how to be manufactured! This had to come instead what was said in the "Anzugsordnung der SA". Number 13 had to be changed.

Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 07-11-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
RBailey
Association Member

Hey guys,
I am sorry for the late response. It has been a busy week. Thank you for the the replies, comments and opinions. Well it looks like I need to keep searching for the right kepi and I will eventually find one. I am satisfied with everything else. The collar tabs, collar piping, shoulder board, whistle, lanyard and armband came with the shirt. Everything else was pieced.

Which kepi is the rarer of the two styles? Wool or twill? Here is a popular SA picture showing the darker pants. Notice the guy on the far left. It appears he is wearing the darker kepi, but it is probably the lighting. He also wears the same rank as my shirt. I am currently working on an early Gruppe Franken brown shirt. I need the kepi, so if anyone has sources, then please message me.

Again, thanks for your time and thoughts.

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0001.jpg (132.7 KB, 162 views)

Old 07-12-2019, 01:30 AM   #9
wilhelm Saris

Thanks Robert. Photos prove that not always the regulations were followed.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #10
Erich B.

I would say the wool kepis are harder to find than the cotton twill, although SA kepis are always somewhat difficult to find compared to other period headgear.
The above photo of the SA marching group is a good example, as Wim and Robert noted: most of the men are wearing the outdated box buckle, large eagle on the kepis, at least one probable wool kepi. i have a lot of SA photo albums and I would say there are multiple photos in each of them that show that regulations were considered 'suggestions' rather than gospel. Not as bad as what was seen on Hogan's Heroes, but still...!
Can you post a larger photo of the bugle?
Erich

Last edited by Erich B.; 07-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #11
RBailey
Association Member

Thanks for the reply Erich. It is good to hear from you. The SA picture showing the guy with the wool kepi is obviously the leader. I am wondering if that is the reason he is wearing a different kepi - to separate himself from the others.

Here are pictures of the bugle you requested. I think it is the first pattern, since it is multiple parts and the eagle is soldered in the brass . Correct me if I am wrong, but I think later bugles had the eagle stamped in the brass. It still plays and is loud. The ring has broke away from the bugle. It should be soldered to the plate below the mouth piece.

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3506.jpg (71.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3504.jpg (76.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3505.jpg (67.1 KB, 119 views)

Old 07-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #12
Erich B.

Hello Robert,
Sorry to say that IMHO it's not an original German bugle. Counterfeit bugles have been made for at least 45 years in India and Pakistan usually. The earliest copies were made to match the design of the British signal horn, which were tombak color with brass trim. Those are still produced of varying quality depending on the maker and nearly always come with cast fake insignia soldered on from numerous periods and countries--US 7th Cavalry from the Indian Wars era, US Civil War, Wells Fargo company fantasy logo, as well as SS, SA, HJ, etc. Since the 1980s, copies of German bugles have been produced which are relatively close to the German pattern. Side by side the proportions and quality differences are apparent, but by themselves they've fooled a lot of people. I think this is one of those. Key differences are the poor quality cast SA eagle with misshapen head and swastika and simulated wear, immobile soldered suspension rings (which, because they're not swiveling and are set in the wrong direction, would not hold the bugle at the correct position) with undersized diameter rings, incorrect mouth pieces, and differences in the size and shape of the tubing. Yours has a moveable suspension ring on the bell (some are simply soldered to the plate so don't move) but it looks like the upper ring was directly soldered to the plate on tube near the mouthpiece. Here are a couple of images of an original Army bugle that I sold a while back, which may make my points easier to see.
I don't claim to be the master of bugles (Hornmeister?), but I've collected many such instruments that I could find over the years so I've seen a lot of them.
Erich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2715.jpg (156.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (164.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2718.jpg (133.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2717.jpg (174.2 KB, 95 views)

Old 07-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #13
RBailey
Association Member

Thanks Erich for your input. Interesting. Nothing surprises me in this hobby anymore. Thanks for your help!!

Robert

Old 07-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
Bob Clark

Really nice SA ensemble Robert! thanks for posting.

SA Sudwest
Old 07-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #15
SA-Standarte
Association Member

Default SA Sudwest

Very nice...Looks great !