wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #61
Dennis J
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post
I am quite the people person and many people visit my place where i have helmets on display. The best comment i have had was "Oh those are nazi helmets, right?". People don't know what we collect, burglars won't be interested unless they're into collecting Third Reich items, and i doubt most of them are! Just my thoughts
Please don't be so trusting as people know more than you think(or think they do)They go on ebay and other sites and see that your collection of orig. helmets are worth big bucks so they will steal it and don't think they won't.All you need do is let the wrong one in and that will be that.I had some camo helmets switched on me back in the 70's because I was proud of my collection and trusted the wrong person and he got me.Oh by the way it was a good friend(I thought).

Dennis J

Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #62
Deputy276

Quote:
I am quite the people person and many people visit my place where i have helmets on display. The best comment i have had was "Oh those are nazi helmets, right?". People don't know what we collect, burglars won't be interested unless they're into collecting Third Reich items, and i doubt most of them are! Just my thoughts
I hope you correct those people and tell them "no, those are GERMAN helmets". Not every person living in the Third Reich was a Nazi. And that includes members of the Waffen SS.

I am reminded of the WW2 saying "loose lips sink ships". All it takes is for one person who has visited your house to say something to the wrong person and the next time you are at work or on vacation, you may come home to a missing collection. Don't be naive. Just because it hasn't happened to you YET, doesn't mean it WON'T happen. And even if you are insured, some helmets simply CAN'T be replaced. In this day and age of failing economies and devalued currency, ANYTHING is subject to being stolen. Don't assume that crooks are stoopid or ignorant. If there is something of value to be had, they WILL take it.

Of course, it's your collection and your loss if it is stolen. Do whatever you please. But don't give people bad advice. That's just not nice

Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #63
Deputy276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis J View Post
Please don't be so trusting as people know more than you think(or think they do)They go on ebay and other sites and see that your collection of orig. helmets are worth big bucks so they will steal it and don't think they won't.All you need do is let the wrong one in and that will be that.I had some camo helmets switched on me back in the 70's because I was proud of my collection and trusted the wrong person and he got me.Oh by the way it was a good friend(I thought).

Dennis J
Well said Dennis. I agree 100%. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #64
TheCleaner

Wow wow.. hold up a minute cowboys I wasn't saying burglars were stupid, i said they probably wouldn't have interest in historical items like helmets. Ofcause you can't be sure, but i'm just saying, that they might have more common interests like designer items. I never make a big deal out of what i have, if people ask i just tell them, that it's something of my interest, i don't tell them that this or that helmet is worth $1000. That would be a bad idea i agree

Old 11-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #65
Deputy276

Quote:
Wow wow.. hold up a minute cowboys I wasn't saying burglars were stupid, i said they probably wouldn't have interest in historical items like helmets. Ofcause you can't be sure, but i'm just saying, that they might have more common interests like designer items. I never make a big deal out of what i have, if people ask i just tell them, that it's something of my interest, i don't tell them that this or that helmet is worth $1000. That would be a bad idea i agree
Burglars DON'T have interest in "historical items" at all. They have interest in VALUABLE items. If something MIGHT be worth thousands of dollars, even if they don't know if it's authentic or not, they won't hesitate to stuff it in their goody bag and see what they can get for it. The point is, if you let people know about your collection, or if it is on display where it is easily seen and accessable, they WILL grab it just for the hell of it. That's why I have no qualms about buying repro helmets and putting them on display. If they are stolen, no big loss and easily replaced. Will non-collectors know they are repros? Nope.

This is why gun cases that used to be very popular back in the 1950s and prior are no longer used. Instead, folks use gun SAFES. It's also why gun racks in the back of pickup trucks that used to be a common sight in my area of the country (New Mexico) are not seen any more. You have to eliminate the temptation.

My contribution
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #66
TP Alexander
Association Member

War My contribution

Here ya' go.
Tim

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=557355

Old 11-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #67
Deputy276

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP Alexander View Post
Sure glad I don't have to worry about helmets and decals being authentic!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #68
TheCleaner

I am sure this scam will work

Original SS helmet from WWII
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79316246_08122011191330_7441_3.jpg (34.2 KB, 1516 views)

Old 12-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #69
Totenhead

Thats a dangerous one that, sure would fool alot of people !!!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #70
Mike Davis
Moderator and Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick lawes View Post

Oh yeah? That is certainly news to me. Funny thing, I spoke with some of the XRF principals at The MAX.

Anyway, I see this is your first post. What is your evidence?

Last edited by Ralph Pickard; 01-20-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: .

Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #71
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Hello Dick - Thanks for joining the forum. To follow up with what Mike said in his latest post, please state your evidence or your post and membership will be put in jepordy.
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #72
Deputy276

I don't know if Dick's statement is true or not. I don't really have a dog in this fight, since I buy repo helmets exclusively and don't have to worry about "authenticity". However, Mike posted two links a while back on Xrfacts, and as far as I can see, the jury is still out on whether they are worth the expense or their results are conclusive.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=XRFacts

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=XRFacts

Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #73
Deputy276

Also, you might want to check out post 35 in this thread:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...xrfacts&page=3

Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #74
Dick lawes

=

Last edited by Ralph Pickard; 01-20-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: .

Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #75
Dennis J
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick lawes View Post
First off welcome to the forum.
Just to make sure what Max show people are you talking about?I will talk to Daniel Liptak today and he will tell me if what you say is true or not.That way you won't have to out anybody and we will know that you are right in your story. If what you say is true this will help you out alot.

Have a nice day
Dennis J