wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > International Militaria Forum

International Militaria Forum Rest of the World Militaria.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #31
Gordon Craig

Wachregiment,

Thanks for the post of the Austrian M43 style cap with the markings. Very useful. Also for the camo helmet covers.
Gene T,
Thanks for the info on the different types of jacket/parkas. I haven't really pursued Austrian camo research until now and this thread has reawakened my interest in it. More things to look for and more money to spend on my next trip to Vienna.
I've also come across, in my own files, some interesting pictures of American style camo in use following the discontinuation of the Pea tyep plus a new type worn by the Special unit frog men.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #32
wachregiment

I got a friend who is the boss in a military surplus, and the jackt posted by tgene let me think about something : this jacket has been cuting out to make it a "civilian" coat, but was at first a parka ?!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #33
wachregiment

I'm goint to go to my friend this afternoon, he's just called me because he has helmets which could be austrian M58 helmets ! If true, I will post pics tonight !

Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #34
SprogCollector

Here's my 1958-dated example of the M-43 style Austrian Bermütze. Field grey wool, greenish cloth interior with a brown/tan leather sweatband.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #35
wachregiment

Wonderful ! I need it !!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #36
Gene T

Wachregiment. The short blouse I posted is definitely not a cut-down parka. A hands-on examination of the construction details would reveal this. For instance, the front zipper, which is absent on the parka (as far as I am aware of), is sewn on before the attachment of the hood during the manufacture. Also, the pass-through slits on the parka from the same period are set fairly high, just below the waist draw-cord - there would have been no reason for the 'rebuilder' to remove these - yet they are absent on the short blouse. Frankly, the blouse is no more civilian-looking than the longer parka, so what would be the point of cutting up an unissued parka, which is quite versatile, and make it into a blouse, which is somewhat less versatile (no lower pockets), and sell it for less than the cost of making the modifications? The only advantage the blouse has over the parka is that it is more comfortable when worn tucked inside the pants. This is not an advantage that translates well in civilian use. Try this with your parka, and you'll immediately see what I mean.

There seems to be a blouse on US eBay right now, item 300194385483. No evidence of lower pockets; simple flat hem on the bottom; may or may not have a front zipper (it would be hidden by the way the seller folded the fly). Ils ne sont pas tellement rares.

Salutations,
Gene T

Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #37
weka

Just come accross these pictures on the Bundesheer website.

Google translation: On the border to Czechoslovakia 1968
As a massive troop associations of the Soviet Union in August 1968 in Czechoslovakia einmarschierten to the "Prague Spring" down, was also the Austrian Federal Army alerted.

http://www.bmlv.gv.at/download_archi...currRubrik=136

Whats neat is the MP40 and a soviet smg psh40?

And a helemt cover in amonst these pics on the Yugoslav border 1991:
http://www.bmlv.gv.at/download_archi...currRubrik=136

Last edited by weka; 08-28-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Differences between '58 and '59 parkas
Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #38
Gene T

Default Differences between '58 and '59 parkas

I finally got my hands on an early model smock/parka, dated 1958 (only the second year Erbsentarn was in use). Some of you might have seen it on eBay last year. The vendor put a very high asking price on it and wasn't interested in my offers at the time. When it didn't sell after several months, he pulled it and never listed it again. I bought something else from him last month, and asked him about the coat. It turned out that he still had it, and happily for me, he was much more receptive of my offer this time.

The most obvious difference between the 1958 model parka (left) and the 1959 model parka (right) is the presence of an actual collar on the former, which can be buttoned up. I had always assumed that the hood is detachable on this model, but it is in fact sewn on (the arrangement is very similar to the one found on the Swiss Kafaz developed during the same period). The odd-looking sleeve extensions on the example I have are very professionally done, almost as though they came this way from the factory.

In addition to the collar, several other features are found only on the '58 parka, the most obvious of which are the sling stop on the right shoulder (a carry-over from the woolen uniforms) and foliage loops on the chest and upper arms:

There is also a rectangular patch pocket on the right hip of the '58 parka, which must not have served any useful purpose, as it is omitted on the '59 model. Far more useful are the underarm vent holes that were added to the '59 parka.

Other significant differences between the two models can be seen internally. For instance, there is a rather robust-looking handle sewn to the back of the '58 parka, reminiscent of the extraction handle often present inside tanker coveralls. However, reaching for it could be difficult, as there is no external access vent for it on this parka; which may be why the handle was left out of later model parkas. The hood is also redesigned somewhat on the later parkas, with the addition of a band of camouflage material at its base to improve concealment when it is not in use.

Two small patch pockets (for bandages?) located inside the skirt of the '58 parka are relocated to the chest on the '59 model. The waist cinch is repositioned lower, and the angle of the lower pockets is made less steep on the later model parka:

Finally, the cinched fishtail hem on the '58 model (which can be tied around the legs) gave way to the 'crotch flap' on the '59 model (on parkas made after 1960 however, the fishtail leg ties came back):

It would be nice to see a parka issued in 1957 to get a complete view of the evolution of this interesting garment.

Gene T

Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #39
Gordon Craig

Gene,

Thanks for the tutorial on these Austrian camo coats. Very interesting. I had no idea there were so many different models in existance. More stuff to search for!

Regards,

Gordon

Old 03-31-2009, 01:52 AM   #40
Gordon Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian 5 View Post
Gents - The "pea-pattern" was apparently used by the Austrian border guard as well. Look at the patch on the shoulder of this jacket that came up for auction on Manion's about 5 years ago. The next post will show a close-up of the patch.

TJ
TJ,

In case you haven't seen it yet, here is a link to a thread I started on my recent visit to the HGM in Vienna. It shows this Border Guard patch in wear on the camo uniforms. Should work here!

Regards,

Gordon

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=341436

Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #41
sgtdorango
Association Member

Great info!!....I have to check my parka now and see what year model I have!....thanks.....mike

Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #42
Bernhard

Very,very interresting !!
Thank you for showing.

Regards

Bernhard

Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #43
Gordon Craig

Gentlemen,

Here are a couple of pictures that Hugh Zillman sent me and said to post if I thought they would be of interest. The first one is of the cammo type discussed in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bundesheer20[1].jpg (177.5 KB, 461 views)

Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #44
Gordon Craig

The second one is of the same style cammo but of Mountain Troopers practicing rapelling carrying a second person. Does anyone know if the the Bundeheer Gebirgsjaeger wor the "Nicker-boker" style pants like the Bundeswehr did? The guy getting the free ride is either wearing this stype of pant or has the trousers tucked into his socks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bundesheer16[1].jpg (157.1 KB, 463 views)

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #45
Gordon Craig

The next foto is not of this type of cammo but I am going to add it here for general interest.

Regards,

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bundesheer15[1].jpg (128.7 KB, 464 views)