wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Optics Forum

Optics Forum Rangefinders, binoculars, sniper scopes, cameras and their accessories

E. Leitz Wetzlar
Old 11-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
dankidd

Default E. Leitz Wetzlar

Hey guys. First time post. I was hoping to get a bit more information on a pair of binoculars that I have just inherited.
They are E. Leitz Wetzlar 7x50 Marsept with serial number 479707. I am led to believe they are from WW2. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Wpgbinocular

Leitz began making binoculars and cameras for occupying Allied forces almost immediately after the war ended (even possibly before). #479707 is right on the cusp of very late wartime SN's and post-war ones. Considering the markings E. Leitz Wetlar and Marsept are not typical military ones, I'd say it's of very early post-war manufacture (although a lot of the binocular's components certainly could have been made during the war).

Old 11-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
dankidd

Many thanks for the information. One last question, it seems to have a snowflake hologram in the bottom of one of the lenses. Is there any meaning to this? Will try and attach a picture.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Wpgbinocular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankidd View Post
Many thanks for the information. One last question, it seems to have a snowflake hologram in the bottom of one of the lenses. Is there any meaning to this? Will try and attach a picture.
The binocular's objective (front) lenses each consist of two elements cemented together with Canada balsam. Over time the balsam may deteriorate causing the lens elements to separate. This separation can look like fogging inside the lens, yellow areas with cracks (often mistaken for chipped glass) or snowflake pattern areas sometimes with hologram-like colorations. Sounds like you've some "snowflake" separation. It may be unsightly but if not too severe usually does not affect optical performance. Probably won't get any worse any time soon unless you use the binocular a lot and subject it to temperature extremes.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:31 AM   #5
Carl Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankidd View Post
I am led to believe they are from WW2.
They were produced in 1945.