wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

M16 hollenzollern
Old 09-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
West94

Default M16 hollenzollern

I recently picked this up, any addition info including the price of a piece like this is welcomed Any additional info concerning where I could possibly locate some original split pins and a og chinstrap would be greatly appreciated thank you

Old 09-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
West94

Helmet sized ST66

Old 09-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
West94

Hohenzollern* To my understanding this is the first recorded use of a decal on a german helmet starting in 1917 troops from the first foot guards regiment and the first guards signal battalion hand applied these shields in the field https://alexanderandsonsrestorations...lmet-insignia/

Old 10-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #4
PlaceOfBayonets

How do you know the shield is real? I am no expert, we do have a few members who can say either way but to me the shield has a lot of damage to it with no explanation or rational reason for being as such.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
mchap
Association Member

Without better photos (proper lighting, in focus, closeup) of the shield, you wont get much feedback.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
Chip M

Quote:
Originally Posted by West94 View Post
Hohenzollern* To my understanding this is the first recorded use of a decal on a german helmet starting in 1917 troops from the first foot guards regiment and the first guards signal battalion hand applied these shields in the field https://alexanderandsonsrestorations...lmet-insignia/

Hello,

If course, this isn't a decal (transfer), but it is one of the earlier WWI insignia placed on a German helmet. It was initiated in early 1918, prior to the orders for camouflaging. It is believed that the insignia was worn by members of the first guard division, as there are known helmets that feature units other than the first guard regiment of foot.

Chip

Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
juoneen
Expelled

IMO the insignia and helmet are totally good. people try and fake these, but you can't fake the patina and age helmets get when they sit in garages for many decades. Tell us where you found it, I bet it was in some guys garage. One of the noticeable things helmet collectors see when real helmets are found untouched, is they usually have small specks of white paint on them from when the owner painted the garage and this one has specks on both the liner and the shell....price , well whatever anyone is willing to pay, but originals of this helmet are not cheap, so I say you have found quite a nice helmet, but what I want to know is, why would you ever want to sell....it's quite a nice scoop....likely you will never find another in your whole life...so give it a think before you decide to off it....but it looks good to me. Others chime in , and we will see what the consensus is.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
West94

Quote:
Originally Posted by juoneen View Post
IMO the insignia and helmet are totally good. people try and fake these, but you can't fake the patina and age helmets get when they sit in garages for many decades. Tell us where you found it, I bet it was in some guys garage. One of the noticeable things helmet collectors see when real helmets are found untouched, is they usually have small specks of white paint on them from when the owner painted the garage and this one has specks on both the liner and the shell....price , well whatever anyone is willing to pay, but originals of this helmet are not cheap, so I say you have found quite a nice helmet, but what I want to know is, why would you ever want to sell....it's quite a nice scoop....likely you will never find another in your whole life...so give it a think before you decide to off it....but it looks good to me. Others chime in , and we will see what the consensus is.

Thank you

Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
West94

I actually found it at an antique motorcycle swap meet in Iowa I bought it along with a west german fire mans helmet

Old 10-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #10
West94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceOfBayonets View Post
How do you know the shield is real? I am no expert, we do have a few members who can say either way but to me the shield has a lot of damage to it with no explanation or rational reason for being as such.

Other than the fact it's 100 years old...

Old 10-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
West94

Old 02-25-2016, 02:05 AM   #12
West94

Does anyone know where I can find an original liner band and set of original split pins?

Old 02-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #13
PlaceOfBayonets

Quote:
Originally Posted by West94 View Post
Other than the fact it's 100 years old...

That is an over simplification of the situation. But ok. As for a Liner and Split pins, don't you have a liner?

I have one for sale on an auction site but it does not have the pads.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 AM   #14
C. Roelens
Association Member

Let's bring this one back up for review...

No liner pins, no chinstrap... how do you know the liner you show is original to this shell?

Chuck

Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #15
Forssmann
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Roelens View Post
Let's bring this one back up for review...

No liner pins, no chinstrap... how do you know the liner you show is original to this shell?

Chuck
Sit it in the shell and see if the liner matches the shape of the shell. It's a stretch, considering the liner may have been out of the shell for a while, and subject to damage to its form, but without the components you mention, it's about all you can do.