wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Unpik ssi
Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
D. Michael Kim

Default Unpik ssi

One of my prized possessions, a UNPIK SSI which I believe by its' construction was made in Vietnam for a veteran to be used as a combat patch for his uniform.

It is one of the most beautiful made patches that I have seen. The workmanship is superb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNPIK F.jpg (89.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg UNPIK.jpg (77.5 KB, 163 views)

Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
M. A. Miller
Association Member

Hi Dennis,
That is a great looking patch and hard to come by. It is amazing how well done some of the Vietnamese (?) hand made patches are . This one displays the techniques on saving the amount of thread used. I have several that are amazingly well done. Thanks for displaying.
Regards, Mitch

Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
D. Michael Kim

Mahalo Mitch for the response, I will have to agree 1000%. When you look at the SSI from the front it looks like it could be machine made. The details are especially sharp and would be difficult in my mind to replicated by a machine. I have not seen another in the past 10 years and so I do not
believe it was made for collectors. It is a work of ART.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. A. Miller View Post
Hi Dennis,
That is a great looking patch and hard to come by. It is amazing how well done some of the Vietnamese (?) hand made patches are . This one displays the techniques on saving the amount of thread used. I have several that are amazingly well done. Thanks for displaying.
Regards, Mitch

Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
irish

Very nice indeed. The UNPIK tab portion of the patch looks to be a seperate piece of material when viewed from the front. the reverse however makes it appear to be all one piece. Interesting construction.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 AM   #5
D. Michael Kim

One of my prized possessions, a UNPIK SSI which I believe by its' construction was made in Vietnam for a veteran to be used as a combat patch for his uniform.

After further research I have to admit that the identification of this patch in INCORRECT, and I would like to revise my statement.

After researching this patch I have determined that it is a period patch that was ordered and made in Japan in 1952. It is one of five that were made in a little shop in Tokyo, and I have the provenance of who ordered it.

I have been conducting research on the UNPIK and by chance saw a picture of his patch. I was able to contact him and obtain details on its' manufacture, and compare the two together. It is a very early patch and was made based on a design that was in color that was sent to him from Headquarters.

If anyone has any UNPIK items that they would be interested in parting with please contact me.

Last edited by D. Michael Kim; 02-18-2014 at 03:01 AM.