wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Communist Bloc Militaria

Communist Bloc Militaria Communist Militaria 1917-Present

The Communist Militaria Hall of Shame !
Old 02-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
Bill D.
Forums Moderator

Default The Communist Militaria Hall of Shame !

Forum member Mike Baskette suggested that we adopt this thread from the fallschirmjaeger forum, and Adrian and I agreed that Mike had a fine idea !

This will be a "pinned" thread in this forum. Here is where we can post our mistakes, our errors, our bad pieces, and our collecting mishaps in the field of communist militaria.

The purpose is really two-fold. First, it will reinforce the fact that all of us, from the beginers to the most experienced collectors, will make mistakes. They are nothing to be ashamed of. And this thread will be an educational forum for all of us, allowing us to learn from the experiences of others.

So let's get going !

Old 02-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Manu Dalton

This thread is a very good idea!

Let me be the first
Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
Mikhealc

Default Let me be the first

I always wanted a WW2 Russian tunic with the hammer and sickle emblem of the Kommissar. One night after a couple of glasses of wine I saw one for sale on ebay. The auction was about to end in 3 minutes. I quickly looked at the picture and got the tunic. It was listed as at least a 50 year old tunic. Well, it was a piece of crap and without the wine, the late hour, the impending ending and my mad desire I wouldn't have spent the money on this worthless piece of ****. I gave the son of a bitch negative feedback and of course received negative feedback myself. The only negative feedback I have ever received on ebay. Please enjoy the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg commisar1 fake.jpg (63.4 KB, 3564 views)

Bad Shuba
Old 02-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Wesley's Dad
Association Member

Default Bad Shuba

This Shuba was purchased from a very reputible militaria dealer several years ago. He got if from a German source, and it was sold to me as a wartime original piece, and boy did she ever lookthe part. I took it on as a restoration project as it needed a total scrub down and mending. I removed all of the buttons at they were completly covered in verdigres and rust. After a long soak in a vinegar solution they cleaned up pretty nicely...only to reveal 1950's vintage buttons on the backsides that were hidden in rust

Since my washing voided my lifetime guarantee, it became a lessen learned. However, this one will soon get reworked with repro buttons and tabs to sell off to a willing reenactor. At least I'll get back some money that way...

While a very very similar coat was manufactured and worn as winter gear in the mid 1930's and contuinued to be worn into the final war years. This coat proved out to be part of the military construction worker's uniforms authorized by the 1956 uniform change orders. When I got the coat, it had a hand written german luggage tag in one of the pockets. At that time I figured this was evidence that this coat was sent home as a war souvenier. Based on the buttons however, it is pretty obvious that this coat was worn home by a forelorn German POW in the 1950's.

When buying coats like this, you have the buttons to fall back on. If the buttons pass inspection, I am of the belief that the factory sewn shoulderboard loop are indicative pf a postwar coat.

If you are offered the more common telogreika and or the matching padded trousers from German sources or the likes of German eBay, you must be open minded to the fact that such material is most likely not wartime Soviet military, but post war worker wear that returned to German on the backs of returning POWs. Typically these items are devoid of all markings, stamps etc. so there will be no dates to verify.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shuba.JPG (59.7 KB, 3551 views)

Old 02-28-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Soviet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhealc
I always wanted a WW2 Russian tunic with the hammer and sickle emblem of the Kommissar...
It could be nice if you could explain what's wrong with it, for people like me who doesn't know anything about WW2 Russian tunic.I would like to learn.
If everything is wrong, please explain a little bit for me.

tunic
Old 03-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
Mikhealc

Default tunic

I guess I could have posted a better picture but the hammer and sickle stars are of very poor quality and the facings on the collar and sleeves are so bright and shiny and unlike anything I have ever seen on a Soviet Uniform. The tunic is a post war tunic that someone doctored up. If I put it next to a real kommissar tunic the difference would be obvious.

Here is a real tunic with the star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
It could be nice if you could explain what's wrong with it, for people like me who doesn't know anything about WW2 Russian tunic.I would like to learn.
If everything is wrong, please explain a little bit for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Russian M35 Commissar Tank close.JPG (40.0 KB, 3521 views)

Commisar Pullover
Old 03-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
Wesley's Dad
Association Member

Default Commisar Pullover

In addition to the bad looking stars, the tunic should not have both stars and sleeve chevron insignia. The collar tabs are horrible, very poorly proportioned. The colored portions are too narrow and the gold braid trim too wide. Not sure what vintage the shirt is with out better pictures of it's details, but all the insignia are bad cobble jobs.

Mike

Amen
Old 03-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
Mikhealc

Default Amen

Amen to that freakin' tunic. It cost me a negative ebay response for telling the truth about him and his tunic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley's Dad
In addition to the bad looking stars, the tunic should not have both stars and sleeve chevron insignia. The collar tabs are horrible, very poorly proportioned. The colored portions are too narrow and the gold braid trim too wide. Not sure what vintage the shirt is with out better pictures of it's details, but all the insignia are bad cobble jobs.

Mike

Old 03-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
Soviet

Mikhealc, you could buy these stars and put them on your tunic. So it could look better. But I think it would be better to leave it as it is.

Nice Stars
Old 03-19-2005, 07:27 PM   #10
Mikhealc

Default Nice Stars

Those are very nice stars but you are right. I am going to leave the tunic as it is and later burn the tunic and if I ever meet the sob who sold it to me I'll ...nevermind.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Hello Soviet...I find your last post of interest about how the stars were sewn and then how they are cut it before they are put on a tunic. Thanks for posting.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #12
Kozlov

Been meaning to do this for some time.

"University of Marxism and Leninism Graduation badge"

from ebay... don't know if I should name and shame the seller, but he is on there quite a bit...

this is rubbish :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubbish uml badge.jpg (46.0 KB, 3212 views)

Old 04-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #13
Ciaran Byrne

Alarm bells would ring for me due to the mere fact it has a pin back attachment, regardless of what the front looked liked. Screw posts were used on graduation badges and also the enamaling would be 1st Class, not like the poor quality here.
Without doing any research at all, the above points would prompt me to say that this badge is worthless.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
Kozlov

Oh yeah its rubbish alright!

In my defence, the photo was only of the front on ebay (the one above is my scan of it) and at the time I hadnt switched on to such things being readily faked... in fact I still don't understand why something as low value as that would be faked, but clearly a few dollars in the Ukraine is still a lot of money.

It weighs about half the weight of every other grad badge I have too.

Ho-hum!

Old 04-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #15
Bill D.
Forums Moderator

There is at least one exception that I am aware of to the use of a screw-post attachment for graduation badges. The graduation badge from the Soviet diplomatic school used a pin attachment rather than a screw post. I have seen three original examples since 1990, and all were identical, with the pin method for attachment.