wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Cloth Headgear Forum

Cloth Headgear Forum Covers officer visor, overseas caps, field caps, and any cloth headgear.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #121
90th Light
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD51 View Post
Nice expose’ on the eagles, it might be good to note the wingspans in millimeters.

Robt.
Thanks Robt,

here is a rough comparison,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010722.jpg (204.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1010725.jpg (197.1 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by 90th Light; 12-09-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #122
mike donne

Here's a better photo of the Weissbach eagle with the squashed beak on Tim O'Keefe's green soutached CW
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...41&postcount=9
Chris has illustrated the other two CW types to which I referred in post 102 more than adequately. (The second globular beaked variant to which I alluded is not represented here).

Interestingly, Mike's and Chris's photos show the grommets of the 4-grommet sidecaps and the M40 not to be the same, not just in terms of their exterior colour, but in terms of their exterior shape, those of the M40's being slightly pointed and those of the 4-grommet cap being rounded. Have I seen something similar in the steel grommets used by Mayser?

A final point about the 4-grommet sidecaps. I notice that the lining of the example sold by Italian War Front has circular impressions in it. I've seen this in a lot of beehive caps (including some shown here), and I assume these to result from them being tied in bundles for years. To me this is additional evidence of their authenticity and therefore of the M40s.

Ben's grommet/eyelet link is a worry. These are examples of what is available today, and other variants will have been available in the past, including some that look very like authentic grommets. We must therefore remain alert to possibility of authentic-looking grommets in fake caps (another well-know 'Clemens Wager' is a perfect illustration of this); but this must not blind us to the equal possibility of fake-looking grommets in authentic caps, the authenticity of which will need to be established on other grounds.

For me, this has been a very useful discussion. Thanks everyone.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #123
RGD51

The 4 line Wagner stamp caps are fakes thru and thru.... most only incorporate a real cap eagle and possibly some twill from a chopped piece of uniform.... despite what some think about the grommets, they are aged up fake.

Robt.