wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

Latvia Ammo Pouch 1923, German Mauser Style
Old 04-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Marksharky

Default Latvia Ammo Pouch 1923, German Mauser Style

I posted this over on the International Forum page, but then I thought about it a bit, and figured that this forum page may find some more knowledgeable members who can help me out!

I picked up a "German Pattern" ammo pouch the other day, on the hunch that it was from Latvia, and not from Turkey as the seller believed.
After receiving the pouch, my suspicions were confirmed. The pouch is indeed from the Latvian Military and is dated 1923. I wrote to the Latvia War Museum in Latvia and they confirmed that the pouch is Latvian made and issued.
I have seen these "German Pattern" ammo pouches in the old Latvian photos from the 1920's and 1930's (pre-Soviet era), but I have never seen one in person or a modern photo of one. Now I have one!
I would imagine that these have to be some of the rarest of the German style Mauser pouches that are out there.

The pouch is extremely well made with very heavy leather. The Y-Strap hanger is very unique. all of the metal hardware is galvanized, heavy steel. I has both a "D" ring and a British style web buckle. I have seen what appears to be British web gear Y-Straps on Latvian soldiers from this era. Britain supplied many Pattern 14 rifles to the Latvian Army, so they may have also supplied them with some British web gear as well.

I am hoping that there are some fellow collectors out there who know about these pouches and can send some more information my way!

Here is the letter I received back from the Latvian War Museum:

Hello,

Yes, this is Latvian made ammo pouch for Latvian army. It is made according to the German army WW1 ammo pouch pattern. Ammo pouch capacity of 45 rounds. Latvia also produced ammo pouch with a 30 cartridge capacity. We have some Latvian army ammo pouch samples.

‘’Apgerbu darbnica’’ is Latvian Army War Clothing workshop (1921-1924). In fact, it is Latvian Army Supply Office, that historically several times changed their names. Last its name was Army depot № 11.

Best Regards,

Viktors Katerinics

Department of Collection

Latvian War museum

An now for your viewing pleasure, here are some photos of the pouch:

Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Marksharky

Here are a couple of additional photos. I am also wondering if there are any other members with Latvian items from the pre-Soviet period, 1920's to 1930's. I can find almost nothing about the Latvian military uniforms and equipment from this period!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
Alan Smith
Association Member

I find your detective work in confirming the ID of the ammo pouch to be very interesting; like the seller, I too would have believed it to be Turkish surplus. Thanks for the educational post on this (IMO) obscure item.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Marksharky

When I first looked at the pouch photos (before buying), I thought it was a Turkish pouch. When I looked closer, I knew I had stumbled on something rare. I am still wondering how this pouch found its way into the USA. The seller said it was in a big box of old rifle parts that he purchased some time ago.
As far as I know, there has not been any bulk surplus batches of old Latvian equipment or firearms on the surplus market in the last 20 years, or any years for that matter!. Latvia became its own country in 1919, and then was "annexed" into the Soviet Union in 1940. After 1940, there was no Latvian Army, and all Latvian soldiers would have bee serving in the Soviet Army, with Soviet equipment. One can only guess what happened to all of that old equipment some 77 years ago!
I wonder how many other Latvian pouches are still floating around out there that are labeled as "Turkish".
I will definitely be looking closer at any "Turkish" pouches I run across!

For now I am classifying this pouch as "Extremely Rare" in the "Mauser Pouch Category". :-)

Last edited by Marksharky; 04-21-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added text

Old 04-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Marksharky

I received a little follow up note from Viktors Katerinics, the historian at the Latvia War Museum in Latvia. He confirmed my suspicions that this pouch is indeed quite rare. Here is his follow-up note:

Latvian military equipment items are very rare, and they are few to remain. Mostly They are often in bad condition. Your ammo pouch is well-preserved. In Latvia is published book about Latvian army uniforms. Unfortunately, only in the Latvian language. If you are interested in something about Latvian army, ask.

Viktors Katerinics
Department of Collection
Latvian War museum