wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

Rifle Exercises
Old 09-03-2017, 04:18 AM   #1
gdfuseddie

Default Rifle Exercises

I've often seen this photo over the years and have been curious exactly what these soldiers are being instructed here. I've googled it countless times hoping to find a lead on it and even tried a reverse search of the image.

I've seen it in several publications, such as Brian L Davis, and on websites, but never have I seen and details about it. Was there a name for this exercise? What was the point of it?

Re rifle exercises
Old 09-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
timg
Association Member

Default Re rifle exercises

The clue is actually in the title of your post............they are literally "Rifle Exercises"

The premiss being that all soldiers need to be fit and get fit if in basic trg. The rifle is the basic tools of the trade as it were and it should be an extension of your self.

The various exercises are to get you used to handling the fire arm whilst building up wrist, arm and upper body strength.

Used still in many armies as a part of PT Training..............or alternatively by evil range officers should you not be listening............as in " run to the tree located half a bloody mile away with it above your head"

On completion............do it again!

Many on this forum would have experienced this I believe

Old 09-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
gdfuseddie

I've certainly experienced plenty of that myself many years ago, being made to sweat because someone screwed up. As for the exercises in the picture though, we never did anything like that though.

I've tried translating numerous phrases and terms into German that I could think may be what it was called, such a rifle exercises, to see if I could find any details of if, but I've not managed to find anything. I've also gone through several period manuals such as Reibert, H.Dv130/9 'Ausbildungsvorschrift fur die Infanterie - heft 9', Die Soldatenfibel and Der Rekrut, with little luck tracking it down.

What I'd like to know are the actual moves that used to be carried out. I wonder if it appears in another manual or if there is any footage of it being practiced somewhere? As with other things in the past, it seems that once you find out exactly what it was actually called in the German military at the time, only then can you find it. But knowing the actual name is the problem, as I've found that often a straight translation is not enough.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
timg
Association Member

Hi,

I would imagine that the moves are more likely to be in a Physical Trg Manual, rather than the manual to instruct on the firearm. We called it pokey drill in our lot(god knows why?)

As for naming the moves, don't think they have any names. Left to the discretion of the trainer as to how long or how you hold it. As long as you are working up a sweat they seemed to be happy but god forbid if you dropped it!!

I have seen similar pictoral instructions for this type of thing in a British manual but using India clubs instead of a rifle.

Regards

Tim

Old 09-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
timg
Association Member

Circa 1960,s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pokey drill (600 x 476).jpg (51.7 KB, 110 views)

Old 09-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
gdfuseddie

Fantastic. I was in for 11 years and never once did this exercise or saw anyone else do it. Certainly never heard of Pokey drill either.

I like your suggestion of it probably being in a PT manual, which not only makes sense but would also explain why I've not had any luck so far.

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
timg
Association Member

No probs,

Keep us updated on what you find, (and I might add that you were very lucky not to have had to do it, try it at home folks and feel the burn!! )

Regards

Tim

Old 09-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
gdfuseddie

My copy of D.V.E Nr.302 'Turnvorschrift für die Infanterie' first published 3rd May 1910 has arrived today. From the different editions I managed to find for sale it seems that although the manual was printed for many years after this into the 1930's, the content doesn't appear to have been updated during that time, as every edition I found stated 'vom 3. Mai 1910' on the cover although the title has varied slightly.

From a quick flick through the pages it looks like this is the book containing what I seek. There are several drawn pictures of soldiers doing stretching and movement exercises with the rifle. Now for the text translation work to begin...

I'll keep you updated.