wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Militaria Forum

Imperial Militaria Forum The discussion and study of Imperial German awards and of their Central Powers Allies from the First World War

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old 02-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #35
gmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepenthusiast View Post
First comment, Erikn--I'm jealous!!! Beautiful pair of PlMs...

For the FR, note the halo of silver around the head of the 1:30 (obverse face) eagle--that is the overflow of the pressing and it was not filed away during hand finishing of the piece, very unusual to see that in my (admitted limited) experience, but it gives you a look at the appearance of a "mint" die-pressing. The detail is exquisite! It also illustrates the warning element for how the metal should appear on the cross body sides, as the demarcation and very thin/flat aspect of any residual metal along the line where the two dies met should look like this. Such a thin element was not difficult to file away entirely if effort were made to do so. By contrast, casting things tends to create a wider and more irregular/granular demarcation line if not artfully removed, and it is harder to do so.

I think you may have misunderstood me about J. H. Werner--my point was precisely that they marked it because they finished it for the purpose of retail sale, and all the more compelling that you have pretty much nailed down that occuring in 1919, when it would have had to be a retail sale! I'm thinking--though will have to go back through my photo library and Prussian Blue--that the edge finish is more perfectly "flat" than typical for W/FR work. You might see that yourself, actually, since you have a near-immediately-contemporary FR. That might be the sign of how Werner was the ultimate "finisher." Why not Wagner finish it, though? Anyone know their full 1920's story?
Good eye Jim on spotting that unfiled material on the 2 o’clock eagle.

Nice FR! I have an almost identical FR that is attributed and awarded on June 30th 1918. My piece has a bit more of die damage compared to Ericn’s piece

One question that I have is that there is no direct correspondence between date of manufacture and date of award, especially regarding to the various degree of die damage. I have seen awarded pieces given at later time, but with less degree of die deterioration.