wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Model Building and Display Forum

Model Building and Display Forum Post tips, methods, tools and final outcome of your projects!

Advice for a beginner.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
kevin john
Association Member

Default Advice for a beginner.

Hello fellow members ,i am thinking about building my first German WW2 era tank model in the 1/35 size, i have not put together a model kit for over 50 years and would be glad of any advice you can offer ,what items will i need besides the actual kit and is the size i have picked a good scale model to have and which is the best manufacturer of these kits thanking you in advance for any advice Kevin :

Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
Hagen

1/35 is a good scale to start with. I would go with an early war vehicle in Panzer grey, a nice simple color scheme. Tamiya makes great kits that usually build up well, Dragon also has nice kits but their instructions can be a bit busy and confusing at times.

Have fun and welcome back to the hobby.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
herrgeezer
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
1/35 is a good scale to start with. I would go with an early war vehicle in Panzer grey, a nice simple color scheme. Tamiya makes great kits that usually build up well, Dragon also has nice kits but their instructions can be a bit busy and confusing at times.

Have fun and welcome back to the hobby.
Totally agree. This is good advice.
Herrgeezer's War Room

Old 02-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
rbminis
Association Member

All I can say is, be patient.
All good things take time.
Ralph.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
kevin john
Association Member

Hello guys ,thanks for the input i will take it really slowly and i will keep you informed on how i am getting on thanks kevin.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
Mike Swan
Association Member

Hagen is generally correct about sticking with Tamiya. Dragon are excellent but I think go too far with numerous fiddly details that become a chore. Tamiya instructions are also easier to follow.

It will be a good idea to read various on-line reviews of the kit you may choose as they will often give you the pros and cons of the construction process.

Also, don't necessarily limit yourself to an overall panzer grey scheme. For example, Tamiya released a very nice new-tool Elefant that will look great in the 1943 yellow, brown, green scheme.

Mike

Old 02-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
herrgeezer
Association Member

Hello Kevin. Like you, I hadn't built a scale model in some time when I began to get back into the hobby.

The first thing I'd say, just to get back into the pace of things, is to get you some basic tools and paint. A good Xacto knife and tweezers will start you off. I even suggest a good sprue cutter too. You then you'll want to some sanding sticks or maybe a few good small hobby files. You can also check out YouTube for suggestions on tools.

Next invest in some good paint. I had quite a bit of old stock Tamiya paint but purchased some newer Valleo paints based on watching some videos on YouTube. Speaking of videos I'd recommend checking out Andy's Hobby Headquarters channel on YouTube. He's knowledgeable and builds a slew of different vehicles as reviews.

My first model when I started back up was the Tamiya 1/35 scale late war Tiger I. I used Model Master spray paint (Afrika Mustard) for the base coat. I had an old Paasche airbrush and compressor and sprayed the camo scheme with that. I have since bought another airbrush and compressor. I got the Master Airbrush from Amazon and a compressor with holding tank. This airbrush is very affordable as is the compressor.

I'm sure other guys will chime in with their suggestions too.

We all look forward to hearing from you and seeing your progress. Take care and good luck.
Herrgeezer's War Room