wehrmacht awards

Close Combat Clasp article
Old 11-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Thomas Durante
Administrator

Default Close Combat Clasp article

Seems like the holidays have slowed the chatter on the forums down a bit and looks to be a good time for me to follow through on a promise I made to myself (and Seba) a year ago about writting an article about the Close Combat Clasp for the forum. Its time we generated a little interest in these outstanding awards and for them to finally take their place of respect and appreciation along with their common brothers the IAB & PAB. I have noticed a lot more activity with GABs now that Frank's excellent book is out. It is my hope that this little article generates that same type of response and that more of you see in these awards what I've seen.

With that said, I am soliciting good closeup pics of your Nahkampspanges. Anyone who participates will ofcourse be credited in the article. The format will be similar to Frank's Book. I have most makers of the bronze grade, and about 1/2 of the silver grades, but I am collecting all good pictures right now. I specifically need the following:

Juncker - Bronze, Silver & Gold
FLL - Silver first patter & both patterns in Gold
F&BL - Gold
H&CL - Silver & Gold
GWL - Bronze & Gold. Also, aluminum in all grades
RS - Silver & Gold
JFS - 2nd pattern Silver (the one with 4 crimps for the hinge) and both patterns in Gold
AGMuK - Gold
Unmarked - Everything you got!

I am looking for a full on shot of the obverse and reverse. A close up of the central motif on the obverse. A shot of the backplate crimping, the maker mark, the designer mark, and 2 of each of the hinge and catch, one from the side and an oblique shot to give some depth. As far as information, I would like height, lenght, eagle wingspan, weight and thickness (thin part, right next to the face of the eagle) in mm and grams. I would also like to know which parts are magnetic, the type of finish (i.e., silver wash, silver plating, etc.) and the % of finish you estimate is remaining on your clasp. Any known die faults, characteristics, or flaws you have noticed on your clasp. Lastly, your name, so that I can properly credit the donor.

Obviously good clear scans are better than blurry ones, and I will most likely use the clasps that have the most finish on them. You can post the pics on the forum or email them to me at tdurante@empireeng.com.

Thanks for your help!

Tom D.

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Old 11-25-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Graeme

Good luck Tom

I look forward to seeing the finished article.

regards

Graeme

Old 11-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
MIKE12550

Sounds like a great idea Tom,I wish you good luck,and if you need any help,I would be happy to. bb

Old 11-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
Marvin Jeffus

Tom, thanks for taking on this project. As the CCC is my favorite award I will be anxiously awaiting the results. I am hopeful that you can address the bronze grade finish which apparently have different varaitions of color. I have not been able to find much information on application and color specifications. There seems to be some bronze grades which are very close in appearance to a gold color.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Thomas Durante
Administrator

Hi guys, thanks for the support .

Marvin, no doubt that the bronze finish on some clasps could be mistaken for gold. F&BL clasps are notorious for being mistaken for the gold class alot, but it is just an additional layer of finish that was applied that makes it look like that. My opinion is that it was just a lighter bronze protective lacquer finish over a darker bronze base coat. Most bronze clasps I've encountered from pretty much every maker has evidence of this goldish top coat. Most clasps just have minimal traces left in the creveces, but its definately there. When viewed by themselves, it can be difficult to tell bronze vs gold class, but the key is to put one side by side with a definate Gold class clasp and the difference is like night and day. I do not have many gold class clasps, so I am depending on those forum members that do have these clasps to help out.

I hope to have it wrapped up by the SOS in February.

Tom D.

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com