wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Living History Forum

Living History Forum Discussions of battlefield sites, reenacting, veteran news, and all "current" historical events.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
17thairborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanC View Post
Well Oz,

First of all I'm not Dutch seems like the Americans are having problems with geography too
I should have known that as I lived in Eksel for 4 years. Flandern, Flemish. Okay yes I should have known that, and I won't test you on your knowledge of US geography. It's much like everyone in Europe seems to think the US is a small state somewhere in Texas.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #17
17thairborne

Quote:
There is my point you guys have all the resources so you can use every tool you need. We did a raid in Africa with 30 teams and the Americans bailed out.
We don't have all the resources we need, look at our national debt. We spend money so that the Flemish don't have to. Your country chooses not to provide all the tools to your military.

I cannot count how many raids the US performed without ANY Flemish support, so lets not begin making a list of one circumstance. I think the list of US combat deaths in WW2, Afghanistan, Kosovo and elsewhere will be a sickly comparison to Flemish deaths in those conflicts.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #18
blinky
Association Member

Last edited by blinky; 05-18-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #19
17thairborne

Quote:
It was not my intention to hurt someone. I do respect all NATO and other military formations, let that be clear.

I was talking about exercises like the article in Birdies thread stated. And my (and our forces) finding was that the US forces were not Always the best...

Cheers

Is this also not your quote: "A lot of huahua but not that (physical/ mental) quality "

That sounds an awful lot like intent to hurt. In the least you are laughing in the face of that which I truly respect. I'm not hurt, just pissed. Since you have served and deployed, why would you feel the need to denigrate the military of a nation that has pulled your forefathers ass out of the fire?

I just get pissed when people talk shyte about the character of my brothers.

Your comments and the thousands of other such comments is why many Americans are in support of Trump and his call to let Europe foot the bill for their own defense. I do understand the negative implications of doing so, but I begin to lose my faith in Europeans as I listen to them mock the nation and the forces that help to protect their freedoms.

If the US lost a competition to the Flemish, then state so and discuss the facts. I can handle that. In the meanwhile our men will learn from the loss and resolve to improve.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #20
Mike C

This is a disgraceful and stupid thread - or at least became so after the second post - that should be closed now.

To begin with, any comparison between a highly publicized/politicized competition and real-world, day to day capabilities is nonsense (and one year I was a national team leader in the NATO Boeselager Competition...back when dinosaurs roamed the earth).

If you want to see who did the heavy lifting in Afghanistan - and we are not talking dollars or euros - look here:

http://icasualties.org/OEF/Nationality.aspx

I have worked extensively with Germans and some were not so good. I have worked extensively with Americans and (surprise and gasps all round) some were not so good. But - I was proud to stand with them when the ****e hit the fan and call them comrades.

Those that were good however NEVER, EVER publicly disparaged their comrades from other countries.

Mike

Old 05-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #21
17thairborne

Quote:

You won the second big one because of the immense mass of material and air superiority.

And lets not forget all the American soldiers who died. We won because of that too didn't we. Sheesh!

Belgium combat deaths: 12,000
America combat deaths: 407,300

That's nearly 1/2 a frikkin million people.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #22
17thairborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
This is a disgraceful and stupid thread - or at least became so after the second post - that should be closed now.

To begin with, any comparison between a highly publicized/politicized competition and real-world, day to day capabilities is nonsense (and one year I was a national team leader in the NATO Boeselager Competition...back when dinosaurs roamed the earth).

If you want to see who did the heavy lifting in Afghanistan - and we are not talking dollars or euros - look here:

I have worked extensively with Germans and some were not so good. I have worked extensively with Americans and (surprise and gasps all round) some were not so good. But - I was proud to stand with them when the ****e hit the fan and call them comrades.

Those that were good however NEVER, EVER publicly disparaged their comrades from other countries.

Mike
Well said Mike,

Don't close the thread, this goes to educate readers on attitudes growing everywhere. In the end, despite such negative rhetoric, the US will always send more boys to die in foreign countries to secure the freedom of others, and all we ever ask in return is a small plot of land to bury our fallen.

Funny, I found this image below in 5 seconds. It's the Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial east of Liege. For us geographically challenged Americans, that's in the Wallonia region of Belgium and they speak predominately French, as opposed to the Flandern section where they speak Dutch and call themselves Flemish. I'm not really sure if there is really a nation called Belgium. Perhaps JanC can educate us on the intricacies of the national unity of Belgium.

But try and search for Belgian Military Cemetary in the US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henri_Chapelle-memorial.jpg (148.2 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by 17thairborne; 05-18-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #23
-Ray-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

Mike

Mike I can agree with your posting, but to sit back and say nothing is bull****. Not that I need a lesson, to play the silent professionalist but I still have a pair and compelled to choose the lesser of two evils which makes me no better and sound off. Silence only validates those derogatory remarks in this case.

Then again, common sense every country has their good and bad. I can understand any trooper from what ever country that asserts they are the best, that's an expectation, if not there is something the matter with them. But to make snide remarks against the forces that had to bail out some limp dicks a few times and would have to do it again in any event, that I have a problem with. We all know the first country that will step in and have to baby sit here.

Otherwise, there is more to life than the WAF to get spun up here so I don't care about his issues or insecurities, or political confusion between a Soldiers performance and the state of affairs in Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. (screw these ****holes), spineless politicians that cause all this are a Soldiers own enemy.

With that said, I competively offer my hand to JanC and apologies to all others if any offense.

-Ray-

Last edited by -Ray-; 05-18-2016 at 08:35 PM.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #24
Edward
Association Member

Last edited by Edward; 05-18-2016 at 09:36 PM.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #25
JanC
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
Mike I can agree with your posting, but to sit back and say nothing is bull****. Not that I need a lesson, to play the silent professionalist but I still have a pair and compelled to choose the lesser of two evils which makes me no better and sound off. Silence only validates those derogatory remarks in this case.

Then again, common sense every country has their good and bad. I can understand any trooper from what ever country that asserts they are the best, that's an expectation, if not there is something the matter with them. But to make snide remarks against the forces that had to bail out some limp dicks a few times and would have to do it again in any event, that I have a problem with. We all know the first country that will step in and have to baby sit here.

Otherwise, there is more to life than the WAF to get spun up here so I don't care about his issues or insecurities, or political confusion between a Soldiers performance and the state of affairs in Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. (screw these ****holes), spineless politicians that cause all this are a Soldiers own enemy.

With that said, I competively offer my hand to JanC and apologies to all others if any offense.

-Ray-
I'll shake your hand Ray

Old 05-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #26
-Ray-

Quote:
I'll shake your hand Ray
Thanks JanC, the goodwill well taken here with a likewise open mind among Service Men that share the same common bond, hardships, and ability to take a hit & drive on.

-Ray-

Last edited by -Ray-; 05-19-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #27
merdock
Association Member

Hi,
Please stop calling us BRITS if your going to use the term please use the full one it's not one i answer to i even change it on official forms ,it's not been Britain for a hell of a long time.

The relationships among the countries of the United Kingdom have changed over time. Wales was annexed by the Kingdom of England under the Acts of Union of 1536 and 1542. A treaty between England and Scotland resulted in 1707 in a unified Kingdom of Great Britain, which merged in 1801 with the Kingdom of Ireland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1922, five-sixths of Ireland seceded from the country, leaving the present formulation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.[nb 8] The UK has fourteen Overseas Territories.[19] These are the remnants of the British Empire which, at its height in the 1920s, encompassed almost a quarter of the world's land mass and was the largest empire in history. British influence can be observed in the language, culture, and legal systems of many of its former colonies.

Another point thanks for the help during 2 world wars but we were not getting our arses kicked .

Look back through history we have won more battles and wars than the US has ,we even won some against the US, England and her allies of Scotland ,wales and Ireland[I'll use Ireland as a full term] have had more victories than ANY other nation on earth All the great battles in History have been won by these Islands not forgetting the help we have received at times by the Commonwealth counties,
Great victories have been won against overwhelming odds ,
Agincourt,
rorke's drift
Blenheim 1704
Plassey 1757
Plains of Abraham 1759
Lexington sure you know the date
Waterloo helped by the Prussians
Balaklava
Imjin River
Goose Green and Darwin

The throw more fuel on the fire [no pun intended] it's a Long time since our capital fell,

but Remember 1814
The English sacked Washington
And burnt down the White House [Presidential Mansion]

A Proud Englishman

Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #28
-Ray-

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdock View Post
Hi,
Please stop calling us BRITS if your going to use the term please use the full one it's not one i answer to i even change it on official forms ,it's not been Britain for a hell of a long time.

The relationships among the countries of the United Kingdom have changed over time. Wales was annexed by the Kingdom of England under the Acts of Union of 1536 and 1542. A treaty between England and Scotland resulted in 1707 in a unified Kingdom of Great Britain, which merged in 1801 with the Kingdom of Ireland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1922, five-sixths of Ireland seceded from the country, leaving the present formulation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.[nb 8] The UK has fourteen Overseas Territories.[19] These are the remnants of the British Empire which, at its height in the 1920s, encompassed almost a quarter of the world's land mass and was the largest empire in history. British influence can be observed in the language, culture, and legal systems of many of its former colonies.

Another point thanks for the help during 2 world wars but we were not getting our arses kicked .

Look back through history we have won more battles and wars than the US has ,we even won some against the US, England and her allies of Scotland ,wales and Ireland[I'll use Ireland as a full term] have had more victories than ANY other nation on earth All the great battles in History have been won by these Islands not forgetting the help we have received at times by the Commonwealth counties,
Great victories have been won against overwhelming odds ,
Agincourt,
rorke's drift
Blenheim 1704
Plassey 1757
Plains of Abraham 1759
Lexington sure you know the date
Waterloo helped by the Prussians
Balaklava
Imjin River
Goose Green and Darwin

The throw more fuel on the fire [no pun intended] it's a Long time since our capital fell,

but Remember 1814
The English sacked Washington
And burnt down the White House [Presidential Mansion]

A Proud Englishman
Great point and well taken, I'm certain GEN Eisenhower was also proud to have your mighty fine forces dependently serving under his supreme authority and American leadership. Furthermore, I know I was honored, delighted and entertained to have jointly served along side the U.K. forces in armed conflict a well, we always made great Allies and many friends in the course of action.

Regarding the 1814 burning of the White house, you can bet there's no shortage of American civilians that would gladly torch the residence once again in recent years.

-Ray-

Last edited by -Ray-; 05-19-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #29
merdock
Association Member

Hi,
Another point when was the last time the US fought a battle on US soil I think 1941 and you got your arses kicked big stile? the last time we The UK [i'll use the term uk from now on ] lost was in 1066 due to a pincer movement between the French and the Vikings,
Harold could not fight a war North and South at the same time,
Since then we have never given these Island up to anybody in 1939/40/41 we fought the invaders on our own helped by our colonies and other brave soles ,the US volunteers came to our help not through naturalistic en devour but through personal salvation.these Islands will never be given up ,
In 1982 we lost a piece of the empire, but due to the determination and {Im reluctant to say] a Great leader we through the Invaders back into the sea ,The US didn't back us they thought that the Islands belongs to the Argis, Reagan is rummerd to have sported us . we did not need anybody.
The Russian leader at the time is recorded as saying that if the uk will fight for a worthless piece of land what will they they do for the mainland.

We have been a great nation for centuries and we will never back down.
Please stop the the uk bashing.
Mark

Old 05-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #30
blinky
Association Member

Battles on US soil where we got our "arses" kicked? Where was that?