wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Groupings and Individual Soldier's History Archive Forum

Groupings and Individual Soldier's History Archive Forum Dedicated to the personal history of individual soldiers - any war, any country. One thread per individual. No 'looking for' or general comment threads.

a German identity plate that speaks
Old 11-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
gotz44

Default a German identity plate that speaks

Hello, I open this post to tell you about my research about a German identity plate. I bought this item at a military antiquity fair in Belgium, for a pittance to a seller who had a lot of artefacts from Koenigsberg in East Prussia. Having found some plates by myself even before, I explained my research to this man who had nothing to do, and that it was the buisness ...
In short, after a letter written in Germany to the archives department, what a joy to receive an answer.

So I allowed myself to return this object which certainly had more importance in the hands of his daughter than in a showcase .... like nothing is lost forever

I did not know if this lady will answer me ..... she did it ..

I let you imagine my joy at the opening of the envelope ... a photo of his dad .... happy to see this object back in the family
This is the common story of so many other soldiers.
Thank you

Old 11-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Jean-Loup

These past years the Wast has never given the identity of ID tag holders in my experience, except when they were found with bodies.

JL

Old 11-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
gotz44

Good evening, when I sent my request I made it clear that if this man was still alive or one of his descendants I was willing to return the object in question that's why I had this information .... To date it is not alas more possible because there has been too much abuse. I had the opportunity to return half a plate also a few years ago to the grandson of a soldier whom I had found in search of a prison camp in Normandy ... unfortunately he did not want to answer me despite my motives for historical purpose

Old 11-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Simon H

Very unusual to get a reply from WaSt, but if you were able to return it to the family that is great.