wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

So much rusted ground-dug junk on German Ebay these days
Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
Yuri D.
Association Member

Default So much rusted ground-dug junk on German Ebay these days

Looks like a large percentage of German Ebay WWII technology items are rusted ground-dug junk. Really bad condition, deteriorated. Is there a market for this? Hard to believe.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
me6_130
Association Member

Diggers are working hard in the Eastern Front. There are many rare items that surface there. Due to scarcity of some, yes there is a market for those "some" if the price is reasonable...depending on state also, of course. I prefer pristine items, but if they cannot be found, ground dug are good to study till a nice one comes along.

See some here:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=918954

Carles

Old 07-12-2017, 01:30 AM   #3
Funksammler

In the past I have used many ground dug items for vehicle restorations, either to restore or to use as a pattern. Some radio Zubehör can only be found as relics. For me the objects have to be restorable to a functional status, so they have to be complete and corrosion has to be limited.

As for radio parts, they have never been a viable option, electronics do not survive in the ground for very long and the alloys used in many radio parts have a tendency to dissolve.

Although from time to time something useful pops up, the current trend is for the finds to become increasingly insignifiant and unusable. I would agree that looking at Ebay today, the majority is just junk beyond any use.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 07-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
roger_m

That "junk" is often a treasure for vehicle restorers. Most WH vehicles today lack all the military accessories, racks, clamps, etc because they were demilitarized post war and nobody preserved such items. That Russian dump "junk" is just that kind of material, which was until some years ago only possible to find as repro. For example, a real saddle bag frame for any WH bike or an original Mauser clamp were items very difficult to find 20 years ago. Now thanks to that Russian diggers such parts can be found in original, and in most cases after a sand blasting they can be perfectly used again. Even more: the traces of pitting are most welcome by many (as me) as they prove the originality of the part.

Of course, for radio collectors the panorama is different. As Funksammler well said, electronics do not survive in the ground.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
Yuri D.
Association Member

OK, OK. Sorry to use the word "junk". I've bought some of that junk myself from time to time. I definitely prefer good condition stuff. But I get the importance of these things. Just hard to believe this is now in the area of archeology, with not so many years that have passed.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #6
me6_130
Association Member

I guess we all prefer items in nice condition. Most of this equipment was sold to third parties. If not in workable state they would be scrapped after the war, or years later, when considered obsolete. It is a pitty they didn't keep it all for collectors but many went to private hands as surplus and slowly moved to collector's hands.
I believe two tank divisions, of the former CZ army, were formed by Panters, which were smelted in the 50's to produced brand new soviet T55s Many items were no worth for post war armies, and there was not so much collection either. Some years ago I could get MP40 mags by hundreds...and now they are very difficult to find in a reasonable condition (and price)Now, when these items are really scarce and there is a source...money machine starts working. Better relics than nothing

Carles

Old 07-13-2017, 04:08 AM   #7
roger_m

Here a ground dug "junk" part Funksammler would love to get I assume (if cheaper)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/362035624290?ul_noapp=true

Old 07-13-2017, 04:47 AM   #8
me6_130
Association Member

Yea...that is the problem. Most times they try to sell ground found items at top prices. It takes me ages to wait till these prices come down. If only surface rust, easy to restore...but most frequently they are badly pitted.

Carles

junk stuff
Old 07-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
spaltring

Default junk stuff

i noticed that postal costs are in certain cases exagerated

Old 07-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
merdock
Association Member

Hi,
It's not all junk.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (82.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (46.4 KB, 101 views)

Old 07-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #11
Yuri D.
Association Member

What are we looking at?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:33 AM   #12
Funksammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_m View Post
Here a ground dug "junk" part Funksammler would love to get I assume (if cheaper)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/362035624290?ul_noapp=true
Fortunately I am complete on these cases! Besides, I have seen better quality (non-ground dug) examples for similar prices. What is interesting about this particular find is the way the paint has been applied, you can clearly see the factory grey paint and two different shades of tan paint. They did not bother to repaint the inner surfaces (between the box and the A-post). I guess it is better than this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Werkzeug-Kas...3D362035624290

regards,

Funksammler

Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #13
me6_130
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri D. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdock View Post
Hi,
It's not all junk.
Mark
What are we looking at?

Artillery parts?

http://wehrmacht-awards.com/Forums/s...d.php?t=693800

Carles

Old 07-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #14
merdock
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri D. View Post
What are we looking at?

Hi,
It's not a 37mm it's a SPzB 41 airborne version.
Mark

Old 07-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #15
me6_130
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdock View Post
Hi,
It's not a 37mm it's a SPzB 41 airborne version.
Mark
Aaah! That's it. I couldn't find what piece it was but for sure small arty parts.

Carles