wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Conservation/Safe Keeping Forum

Conservation/Safe Keeping Forum Want that item to last for ever? Well, we can try. Find out how here.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #16
Gaspare

they will corrode eventually. my opinion,,,, if they are nice and minty wipe them down good and ren wax them.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #17
DennyB
Association Member

I am not knowledgeable in the preservation field but I have always been told that one should not use Vaseline or anything that is a petroleum product on anything that you really wish to preserve.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #18
SkaraBrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
I am not knowledgeable in the preservation field but I have always been told that one should not use Vaseline or anything that is a petroleum product on anything that you really wish to preserve.
That is correct. Vaseline is jellied petroleum, essentially napalm without a couple ingredients. Bad for anything it touches, including humans. If you think Vaseline is good for metal, try rubbing some on the hood of your car on a summer day and see what happens.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #19
jtb1967
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
I'm sure I'd use vasoline on anything as a preservative, but I certainly use gun oil and grease as a preservative on firearms with zero issues. I do prefer Ren Wax on blades, medals, and tinnies though.