wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Flag, Pennant and Standarte Forum

Flag, Pennant and Standarte Forum Wehrmacht, Political and Organizational Standards, flags, and car pennants.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #91
planet
Association Member

Here is another one with unit number which was sold at a German auction in June. Winning bid was 3.300 € plus 23%.
According to the auction house the unit headquarter was in Soest.

I wonder if all flags were first granted with a number before they got their honor name (and may in some cases the number still be beneath the honor name patch then?). Or did most already have their honor name when granted to the unit?
And why does the flag number on this shown flag have no subunit number beneath? Could it be for a headquarter?
Best regards, Thomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018070123465300.jpg (92.6 KB, 86 views)

Old 07-03-2018, 04:45 AM   #92
wilhelm Saris

Location: in the south of the Netherlands (between Venlo and Eindhoven), near the German and Belgium border

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
I wonder if all flags were first granted with a number before they got their honor name (and may in some cases the number still be beneath the honor name patch then?). Or did most already have their honor name when granted to the unit?
And why does the flag number on this shown flag have no subunit number beneath? Could it be for a headquarter? Best regards, Thomas
Practically always first came the number. With many occasions later a name was granted. Cannot yet verify if it was located at Soest, but in the 200 hundreds it was anyway the district of Westfalen-Süd with its headquarters at Dortmund. Soest is quite nearby and so could indeed be for 207.
At this moment I do not have an idea why there is not a unit-number and slash. I have to read the regulations to know if also an Arbeitsgau did have a flag.

According the flag-order from March 3, 1934 (V 2 VII Nr. 3612/34) only an Abteilung should have a flag. Headquarters for an Arbeitsgau are not mentioned.
This in contrary the pennants for cars where a Gauarbeitsführer was authorized for a special form.

As far as I do understand it was either a number, or a name.

Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 07-03-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #93
planet
Association Member

Thank You Wim. Your input is always appreciated. Would also be new for me that an Arbeitsgau had its own flag like a HJ Bann-flag, but who knows? Hope You find out in Your documents.
Best regards, Thomas

Old 07-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #94
female service
Association Member

i won this flag, and my winning bid was € 3000.- also get the pole with top.
Still waiting to hold it in my hand - the Auction-House will collect some items near my home for Autumn auction, and deliver it personal to me, end of July.
I will post better pics

Old 07-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #95
planet
Association Member

That was a good buy!
Still wondering why there is no subunit number on that flag. But even more interesting to know if there are still the numbers beneath the patches with the honor names. Maybe someone, who has a flag with honor name could look if there was or still is the number stiched beneath the patch.
Best, Thomas

Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #96
wilhelm Saris

Location: in the south of the Netherlands (between Venlo and Eindhoven), near the German and Belgium border

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
Still wondering why there is no subunit number on that flag. But even more interesting to know if there are still the numbers beneath the patches with the honor names. Maybe someone, who has a flag with honor name could look if there was or still is the number stiched beneath the patch.
Best, Thomas
I have not ever seen a honor name beneath a patch. The name always was granted later as when the flag was authorized with number.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #97
planet
Association Member

What I meant is if the unit number might still be under the honor name patches in some cases or if they always removed the number before attaching the honor name patch.
Best, Thomas