wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Old 03-29-2010, 03:38 AM   #46
ormsö

Thank You Yuri!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #47
LOTHRINGEN
Association Member

it is post war vernished

about clocks
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #48
Tornfuté

Default about clocks

hello nice thred and interesting subject , i will add some informations .
Germany make high quality and reliable clocks not only for radio traffic but also for other services like weather report , beacon ,... . A special clock is the clock ln22636 used for keying the MZG 2 (ln25536) that clock is hanged by 4 rubber latches ( silent blocs) and work for instance every hour so the MZG2 is
on and can switch on a transmitter for a certain period . this device was copied afterwar by russians . about radio station clock a very rare is that one made by the firm Josef Kaiser ( KJ logo) with waA836 . also rare the enlarge wooden body for clock , i never find one , did anybody see one except in books ? in bunkers they are also H-uhr ( festung hauptuhr ) produced by siemens /halske working on 24 volts , with the main clock there are also
slaves it's the N -uhr ( festung Nebenuhr) connected to main clock .
when you use the FNSb festung note sender b you also need a clock ,
there is one bolted in the cover , it's like an luftwaffe aircraft clock .
about direction finder EP2 i have seen one with telefunken logo .
in german navy clocks are also very important they are different type
i will just say a small one called the klein marine wand uhr type 14/141 RZ made by junghans and also a big one : grosse wanduhr made by Kieninger&
obergfell in St georgen .
About automatic weather report station there was the WFS or WFL
s for see , l for land . Wetter funkgerat see = WFS . trenkle says that they are 10 drums 53 cm diameter and 1 meter high , total weight of station is 2 tons . inside one drum is located a transmitter , it looks like a LO 40 K39 , but the tubes are changed and the power is now 150 watts , it's power by nickel batteries and hV cells , one was still working after germany surrender in 1945. inside an other drum there is i think a clock who switch on the transmitter at a certain delay . for battery sparing . the transmitter is lo 150fk41 labelled and 3-12 mhz waveband . clocks are also used in flak artillery shells , or boby trap like the J- feder 506 runing 21 days , and let explose an
ammunition place after germans leaves it .in german navy , surface or u-boat
for navigation purpose , you need see chrono ( running 56 hours ) to find your position the high of the sun must be taken and calculated at very accurate time , there was no gps , or other at that time . at the end of war , the russians restart the production with the remaining parts , and afterthat , they send the factory to moskau , with some important engineer who were
working there during the war . production remain in service till 1976 and some chrono are exactly like german one , name are glashutte , lange&sohne
they were in moskau made under the name Kirowa of Poljot anyway they are beautifull fine precision clocks, and the end come with the quartz circuits.
german navy oktant like the SKS2-D or 3D also have a small chronometer .
pierre

Tobias Baeurle & Soehne
Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #49
vizslander

Exclamation Tobias Baeurle & Soehne

Hello,

I have a clock which I bought some years ago. I don't know anything about it except it should be a german military WWII clock.

Today I see the "same" clock on one of the picture above. The back of mine is the same as the "Tobias Baeurle & Soehne". I checked marks and it's writing "t.b.&.s" etc...

Will post some pictures in a near future.

But just like that, do you have any idea about the habitual price of a TBS ?

I remember I paid mine 250 euros when I bought it 11 years ago (for me at this time it was my biggest expense ever loool).

Thanks

A quote from the "old" post on this topic where I see the same clock of mine (thanks to Funksammler) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksammler View Post
Variations Tobias Baeurle & Soehne

Tobias Baeurle & Soehne (TBS) is by far the rarest of the three manufacturers and the construction of the movement and the housing differs significantly from the other two manufacturers. Interestingly, TBS gained the contract for manufacturing station clocks for the Bundeswehr after the war, so caution is required by the collector when purchasing a TBS Funkeruhr.

Photobucket

The TBS example described here is from 1940. The numberals on the face are a squarer font, together with the substantial hands give the TBS a distinctive, chunky look. (In practice this makes the TBS the easiest to read type from a distance). The movement housing is made from pressed sheet metal, painted black. The movement is connected to a bakelite ring (rather than a cup shaped housing as with the other manufacturers) screwed to the wooden base. Since there is no inner housing, the manufacturing logo, year “1940” and serial number “134” are marked on the winding wheel. The bakelite ring is marked with “Heereseigentum” and “T.B.&S”.

Photobucket

All metal parts of are painted gloss black. The housing is lacquered in natural wood. The housing differs from that of other manufacturers in that a recess has been carved on the left side to enable the clock to swing open. This was necessitated due to the TBS stamped housing to be slightly larger in diameter.

Photobucket

(All pictures and text copyright Funksammler)

Last edited by vizslander; 07-12-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: adding quote

Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #50
Dmv

Does anyone know how/where to get the correct glass (loose)?
I'm missing one

Ordnance tan one
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #51
Gran Sasso
Association Member

Default Ordnance tan one

Ever seen a tan one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kopie von P1170467.JPG (142.1 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg Kopie von P1170472.JPG (144.8 KB, 653 views)

Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #52
LOTHRINGEN
Association Member

i ve never seen a tan one .
this one seems period painted , maybe a pic of the back could help

Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #53
Funksammler

The housing would have left the factory painted grey, somebody at some point decided to paint it tan. By the look of it it has been unevenly brushed on rather than spray painted. The lack of any wear, chipping, dirt or discolouration to the paint makes me think it has been applied recently though....

Otherwise a nice, mid war Luftwaffe Funkeruhr.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #54
sscrooge
Association Member

been after one of these for a while ,i eventually picked this up this week hope its a good one rgds Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (86.0 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (92.2 KB, 675 views)

Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #55
sscrooge
Association Member

d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (92.4 KB, 691 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (90.0 KB, 688 views)

Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #56
heyst56

Yes a good one

Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #57
Funksammler

Nice mid/late war Kienzle in nice condition. I suspect that the wooden housing was originally painted grey (the graining of the wood on the bottom seems to have some remains of the dark grey paint) and somebody removed the Wa.A ink stamp from the inside of the housing but overall that shouldn't detract from it's value.

Does it run?

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #58
sparkchaser.

Great thread.

I want one.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #59
toadboy65

Thank you for your detailed and informative post. I have been considering adding one of these to my collection, but did not feel informed enough to make a purchase. I at least now have a basic knowledge of these clocks. Do you see many fakes? I know watches are a big area for imitation right now. Fake engraving or decals on regular civilian watches. It would be nice to see a follow-up post on detecting repros.
-toad

Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #60
Funksammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadboy65 View Post
Thank you for your detailed and informative post. I have been considering adding one of these to my collection, but did not feel informed enough to make a purchase. I at least now have a basic knowledge of these clocks. Do you see many fakes? I know watches are a big area for imitation right now. Fake engraving or decals on regular civilian watches. It would be nice to see a follow-up post on detecting repros.
-toad
Fakes are not yet a big issue, as the post war Bundeswehr clocks are clearly marked as such and easy to spot. Junghans probably did produce some clocks postwar for the civilian market, probaby using up old stock. These clocks are however easily spotted by their lack of army or luftwaffe markings and actually a lot rarer than wartime station clocks.

The wooden houses for the clocks have been reproduced, as many movements were de-militarised after the war and placed in more ornamental houses. As a result of de-militarisation stamps and markings were sometimes removed, and the grey paint removed from the wooden housing. Sometimes flowery patterns were painted on to make the clock look even more homely. When otherwise complete and in good condtion these de-militarised clocks still reach about the same prices so I guess most collectors don't mind too much. What does detract from the price are incomplete and damaged examples.

As a rule of thumb, later war clocks had grey painted houses, pre war and early war examples had clear laquered houses. If you find a late war Junghans in a clear varnished housing it probably means that the housing has been replaced or that the paint has been stripped at some point. Not the end of the world, but certainly a trigger to look more closely at other signs that the clock has been messed with. Also when the eager trader points out the Waffenamt stamp on the bottom of the housing on the Luftwaffe clock (as happened to me twice!) you know it has been messed with. As I commented earlier in this thread it often doesn't seem to detract much from the value, it is just what you prefer in your collection.

One potential fakery (that I have not seen yet) is to "upgrade" a standard Junghans J30 to the Kriegsmarine version, as the KM versions tend to command higher prices. Especially the faceplate would be very easy to fake so sooner or later some devious trader will get a bunch of KM faceplates made up.

With a bit of knowledge from this thread however you should be able to spot pretty quickly what is right and what is wrong.

regards,

Funksammler