wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #16
Remark116

I had to pause and think a bit about one part of the article.

"Additionally, images provided along with the report appear to show Firestone markings on an idler wheel and Goodyear markings on two track wheels. Since both are American companies, the report states it's impossible those parts would have been used on authentic Opel half-tracks from the era."

First, if the English writing was in the pictures, then it would be disclosed that it was probably not German.

Also I recall a vet telling me a story about some German vehicles that he came across in Europe during the war. The part of the vechicles that stood out to him, and kind of angered him, was that some of the tires were new Firestone or some other American brands. He figured they were captured stock, but it was a bright memory for him.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
me6_130
Association Member

I once took part in the recovery of a crashed Me Bf 109. Many of the electrical parts were Bosch and Telefunken (German makers) made but some of those were also stamped "Made in Germany, Fabrique en Allemagne".

Carles

Last edited by me6_130; 05-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #18
harrison987
Association Member

American companies provided equipment to Germany throughout the war. So finding tires that were American made (or British captured) was common.

It was "business as usual" for corporations.

FORD, IBM, and numerous others helped the nazi war effort...

Old 05-31-2018, 11:48 AM   #19
hdoy

In my opinion there is no issue about creating replicas from Swedish Strv m/41 chassis provided these are acknowledged as such. The problem is that there are now several of these being described as “original” German vehicles. We need to have a robust set of judging criteria for surviving vehicles.

Hilary

Old 06-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #20
mannloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdoy View Post
In my opinion there is no issue about creating replicas from Swedish Strv m/41 chassis provided these are acknowledged as such. The problem is that there are now several of these being described as “original” German vehicles. We need to have a robust set of judging criteria for surviving vehicles.

Hilary
I agree Hilary. Fancy seeing you here (I'm Adam the Tiger guy from the panzer research page on facebook). That guy from England that "restored" the StuG III D and made the Marder III out of the Swedish chassis concerns me. People are looking at his work which is at times not up to standard with better restorations like Weald's and others. Bovington is calling his replica Marder restored in their tank fest ads. Shouldn't do that.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #21
johann mor

If the Bovington Tank museum is referring to the Marder lll as restored, then, In my opinion, that is a very dangerous statement for tank and military vehicle preservation. It is a replica and nothing can change that.

Jon

Old 07-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #22
Panzerknacker12

I went thru the Sdkfz 250 they had, as I own one, and aside from the front nose plate, about 5 inches back, the front visor plate, engine, wheels and track, its all fake as well. I have plenty of detailed photos as well. Not even an armored hull, fake swing arms, etc.