wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Tony Barto SS Uniforms and Insignia Forum Dedicated to SS cloth collecting and anything else SS related.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #16
I Claudius

Just get it stripped and resprayed period RAL colour.
These go for £50ish in the UK untouched. Nice respray maybe still worth £40?
Worth doing if it cost little when bought.
Very sought after by reenactors for displays and shows with the MGs

Old 06-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
me6_130
Association Member

The red base primer can be followed by fieldgrey, that is early war scheme. It tended to look black after some time. Now, that other overpaint just doesn't look original. As mentioned, it looks artificially aged.

Carles

Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
Asper
Association Member

Get us some close-ups of the paint under natural sunlight please. Not sure how anyone can comment on originality without close-ups. As to pattern and paint, not standard military colours, but many weren't, so I'd give it 50/ 50 until close-ups share further info.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #19
Paul.B.

I look at it like this, it has early war red oxide undercoat with what seems to be an age darkened field grey topcoat where it can be seen so far so good.
Then you get to the camo scheme on top, bored soldiers get carried away with things all the time so there is a chance but with out some better photos i wouldn't be so quick to judge as anyone who has seen a nice period camoed ammo tin would not spend so much time creating this to deceive as its obvious care was put in to this.
Who knows?

Old 06-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #20
BobI
Forum Sponsor

The guys who don't like the camo paint I recognize as mostly or fully helmet collectors. Guys who like camo helmets and have made a study of it, we all vary in our experience and knowledge but..... this paint however is for the novice and probably not made to deceive but to "look cool", which it does! But, not period paint.
Best Wishes,
Bob

Old 06-16-2017, 01:11 AM   #21
Buzzbomb
Association Member

What kind of close ups would be suitable or requested? It sucks only being able to up load 250kb pics

Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #22
Chet Sowersby
Lifetime Member

Honestly, more or better pictures will not make the camo period applied. The paint job is blatantly post war. Ware pattern, colors and ageing are all wrong. Close ups will not make this any better. Yes, I do collect helmets and I voice what Bill has said about it not even deserving a second look.

Chet

Old 06-19-2017, 04:43 AM   #23
Paul.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobI View Post
The guys who don't like the camo paint I recognize as mostly or fully helmet collectors. Guys who like camo helmets and have made a study of it, we all vary in our experience and knowledge but..... this paint however is for the novice and probably not made to deceive but to "look cool", which it does! But, not period paint.
Best Wishes,
Bob
I would agree Bob but you must admit if that ammo can was a helmet all comments from helmet collectors would have been for better photos.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #24
me6_130
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.B. View Post
I would agree Bob but you must admit if that ammo can was a helmet all comments from helmet collectors would have been for better photos.
Well, I am an MG equipment collector and i have some camo cans...and I don't need many more photos to say I don't like that scheme.

Carles

Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #25
Asper
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
What kind of close ups would be suitable or requested? It sucks only being able to up load 250kb pics
Any shots that show paint texture and edges-wear close-ups. Interested in seeing the ticker layers and chipped-down corners, paint by handles, etc. The key here is paint age, which to me is the #1 criteria when looking at any field camo application. Those pictures will share information the others distant shots can't.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #26
BobI
Forum Sponsor

Paul,
It is still a piece of metal with paint on it, the paint would be the same or similar as used on helmets and during the period. This matches neither and is basically so bad that the experienced eye can tell from a mile away, no need for more pictures. If you are happy, that is all that matters!
Bob

Old 06-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #27
Paul.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobI View Post
Paul,
It is still a piece of metal with paint on it, the paint would be the same or similar as used on helmets and during the period. This matches neither and is basically so bad that the experienced eye can tell from a mile away, no need for more pictures. If you are happy, that is all that matters!
Bob
Hi Bob

I never mentioned in my post that it was good, i only sought to illustrate the fact that helmet collectors would have wanted to discuss an item further obviously fake or not.
Different minds different thoughts buddy.
Take it easy Bob
Regards
Paul

Old 06-20-2017, 05:44 AM   #28
volter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.B. View Post

For Discussion SS camo MG34 Ammo Container
Old 06-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #29
volter

Default For Discussion SS camo MG34 Ammo Container

additional photos of a box

Old 06-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #30
Sergey Belarus

Can anyone help to add more pictures here?