wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Kriegsmarine Uniforms and Equipment Forum

Kriegsmarine brown binocular case eagle stamp CARL ZEISS JENA opinions please?
Old 05-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
glaser
Association Member

Default Kriegsmarine brown binocular case eagle stamp CARL ZEISS JENA opinions please?

I would welcome your opinions on this eagle stamp
thx
binocular CZJ suit.JPG

Old 05-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
48RMC

Sold last week on eBay for €63 euros by the seller with the nickname Bedel2000 and what the eagle concern i have no believe in this specimen very strange eagle for a CZJ

I think it's a civil binocular case

kriegsmarine CZJ binocular case
Old 05-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
glaser
Association Member

Default kriegsmarine CZJ binocular case

and my second question is: what was written under the CZJ logo?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #4
Michael Downey
Association Member

The item you post was recently sold on eBay.

It is made of leather and it is a post-war case. The MADE IN GERMANY stamp (just beneath the Zeiss commercial logo) has been obliterated to deceive. The KM very rarely used Brown leather cases for Zeiss binos and as far as I recall was only used on KM green painted 6 x 30 binos. It is possible other brown leather cases were used, but in the main black leather was the order of the day for KM bino cases.

Brown presstoff leather cases were used by Zeiss for the KM at the end of the war, by which time the KM eagle was replaced (in the case of some Zeiss items) for the WaA 202 stamp.

The "KM" stamp on the case you post is pure fiction as it looks nothing like the various KM stamps used on Zeiss KM cases and is also intended to deceive.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image007.jpg (26.9 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Michael Downey; 05-19-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Kriegsmarine leather case 7x50 question
Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
glaser
Association Member

Default Kriegsmarine leather case 7x50 question

thx for the replies! The eagle is particularly well detailed, not very good visible on this picture, so I still think it is original. I look forward to further comments! Did anyone ever saw a M III/8 stamp on leather?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
glaser
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Downey View Post
The item you post was recently sold on eBay.

The "KM" stamp on the case you post is pure fiction as it looks nothing like the various KM stamps used on Zeiss KM cases and is also intended to deceive.

Michael, I am quite convinced that this is a good early bird, there seems to be little knowlegde based on facts and figures about these CZJ brown cases.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
glaser
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48RMC View Post
Sold last week on eBay for €63 euros by the seller with the nickname Bedel2000 and what the eagle concern i have no believe in this specimen very strange eagle for a CZJ

I think it's a civil binocular case
That is correct, I have checked this seller bedel 2000 on ebay: he has an impressive 16695 items sold and 100% positive feedback

Last edited by glaser; 06-18-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo error

Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
Martin Simon
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaser View Post
That is correct, I have checked this seller bedel 2000 on ebay: he has an impressive 16695 items sold and 100% positive feedback
Not to say anything negative about this seller as I don't know him, but generally speaking someone's ebay feedback means absolutely nothing to me. Even known fraudsters like Ralph Haas have 100 percent positive feedback (he even manages to get negative feedback removed by ebay somehow).

I do have a brown leather shovel carrier with a very similar navy eagle on it. I'll see if I can find a picture. That however doesn't confirm anything, I've always suspected it to be a fake eagle. Bought it on ebay many years ago, can't remember from whom, so who knows: I might have been one of Bedel's 16695 positive feedbacks...
Martin

Old 06-19-2017, 02:57 AM   #9
nickn
Association Member

It's a post war case with the made in Germany removed so how can the eagle be genuine?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
48RMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
it's a post war case with the made in germany removed so how can the eagle be genuine?
+1

Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
glaser
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
It's a post war case with the made in Germany removed so how can the eagle be genuine?
Nick, why do you say this is a post war case? Did you knew that MADE IN GERMANY was used for export products after WW1 already?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #12
glaser
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48RMC View Post
+1
and even before WW1:
"Made in Germany" - the history of a designation of origin

After Expo 1876 in Philadelphia, German businessmen saw what they regarded as an assault on their ambitions. Their products had been described as “tending to be cheap and of low quality” by experts there.

So an attempt was made to get rid of this humiliating label once and for all and improve the quality of German products. This was successful and German exports soon rose significantly – also thanks to low wages and advantageous manufacturing conditions. So significantly in fact that the British Empire regarded exports from Germany as a threat to its economic sphere of influence.

For this reason the British tried to stem the flow of German exports by requiring every product to have “exact details of the country of origin”. So in 1887 a law was passed in the British parliament, which required all German products to be labelled “Made in Germany”. The British people would boycott foreign products out of a sense of patriotic duty, or so the politicians thought.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
danish dragoon
Association Member

After the war it was normal to stamp ithems : Made in West Germany or East Germany.

Jens

Old 06-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
glaser
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danish dragoon View Post
After the war it was normal to stamp ithems : Made in West Germany or East Germany.
Good remark indeed, postwar items are marked "made in WEST Germany" and not "made in Germany"!

Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
nickn
Association Member

So it's a commercial case stamped for export to an English speaking country before 1945
So why would the km have stamped it?