wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Vietnam Reference Books
Old 01-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #16
historyguy

Default Vietnam Reference Books

Well, I know my fellow U.S. collectors will laugh at me for saying this, but if you want to learn about South Vietnamese uniforms, your best bet are Osprey books. They are easy to find at shows, military book stores and eBay. I don't have the exact titles and series numbers, but they would be on the Osprey website (and on the backs of most books).

If you can find Leroy Thompson's Uniforms of the Indo-China and Vietnam Wars, that would also be useful. I'm not aware of any reference books showing full-color photos of authentic South Vietnamese uniforms, unless there are some in the Miraldi books (I can't remember). Such items are quite rare-- fleeing South Vietnamese soldiers had more to worry about than saving their uniforms-- and really have only recently become popular with collectors.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 AM   #17
Patrick Dempsey

Hello Andy,
thanks for the reply.Nothing wrong with the Osprey series, they have been a help to me in the past in getting some basic info for me to start with. I'm looking for the Osprey now as locally they are the only information readily available.
I have the Thompson book....which is maddeningly missing period photographs to accompany the uniform patterns he is describing in chunks of the text concerning the S.VN army .

I imagined also it would be quite thin on the ground too... i never seem to manage to take the easy option .

Patrick.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
Ash.H

Thanks for all the help and advice guys!

Appreciate it!

Cheers,

Ash.

Books
Old 01-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #19
wartimecollectables

Default Books

Ian Sutherlands book on the Special Forces is out of print and pricey but worth the $ if you really into the subject. Harv Sol's set of books titled SOG is a four volume hardcover set that sold for $400+ for the set until recently when a small horde was found. It is DETAILED to say the least and not the classic picture reference book so popular these days...but again a must for the subject and cheap right now. I believe Jason Hardy carries them.