wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum

Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum Order of battle, unit history, personality research.

Belka - Belew?
Old 08-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Yubari

Default Belka - Belew?

Guys, I am doing a deep search into history of one of the many soldiers where is just an award document, quite common name but due to higher rank I think I have a match anyway. He most likely died about same time and place when his unit fought heavy battles in Belew, in Russian language Bolkhov. However, in volksbund web page guy of same name and rank died by place called Belka.

Do I see some connection here or it is just a coincidence? Cause I have a big question mark that his name is mentioned in book of graveyard in Ukraine and not in Russia. Places are far from each other about 500 km.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Admiraal
Association Member

If i understand you correctly, you have a source that says the soldier died in Belew and the Volksbund has an entry for a soldier with the same name that died in Belka?

What is your first source? a book?
What is the name/rank of the soldier?

Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
Yubari

Document is for Unteroffizier dated June 1940.
Soldier with same name but rank Stabsfeldwebel died in place called "Belka" in August 1943. No corpse of this soldier as he is MIA but his name is mentioned in books of circa 500 km far away graveyard (not sure if this means anything at all).

His unit fought near city Belew at same .

Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #4
Simon O.

From what you say i think it highly unlikely they are the same person. The jump from unteroffizier to stabsfeldwebel in that time is too much apart from the differences in location.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
Yubari

hmm just responding to statement that promotion/rank is too far from each other. Why do you think so? In combat engaged front units it does look legit. I saw quite some groupings with similiar career ladder.

Of course it does not change the fact that they other factors are still questionable.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Simon O.

Certainly unteroffizier to oberfeldwebel in 3 years but stabsfeldwebel, along with stabsgefreiter and unterfeldwebel are different and were senior time served ranks within their rank groups. That's why you so rarely see them compared with the other ranks and with stabsgefreiter, the most common of them, almost always late war. It's also why rank progression jumped over those 3 ranks for the most part.

So, for a summer 1940 unteroffizier i can't see him having enough time served as an oberfeldwebel to reach stabsfeldwebel by summer 43.

You were saying the name is quite common, you have no idea how many soldiers there were with that name that survived the war.

Why don't you post the doc, it would make things much easier and perhaps someone might pick up on something else relevant?

Old 08-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Admiraal
Association Member

Not much info to go by. What was his name? do you got a date of birth?
A soldier had to have at least 12 years experience in the army to became a Stabsfeldwebel. And you couldn't skip ranks from Uffz. to Stabsfeldwebel. You had to be a Feldwebel or Oberfeldwebel first (doesn't matter how long).

Old 09-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
Yubari

What about this military career?

From Gefreiter in 39 to Oberleutnant in 43. One of the last pictures confirms the speed, unfortunately I cannot save just picture due to protection of that site.

https://www.weitze.net/militaria/66/...5__338066.html

Old 09-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Admiraal
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yubari View Post
What about this military career?

From Gefreiter in 39 to Oberleutnant in 43. One of the last pictures confirms the speed, unfortunately I cannot save just picture due to protection of that site.

https://www.weitze.net/militaria/66/...5__338066.html

Yes, but those are different ranks then Stabsfeldwebel.

Why don't you give us the name and any other info you got? maybe we can help you.