wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Book Review and Media

Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #16
Jean-Loup
Association Member

"All is true but it changes nothing. Victors survive. Loosers perish. All we can study and know is filtered by victors. Orwell's "1984" is great example of attempt of manipulating history."

I have to disagree completely, there are plenty of books written by Germans and Japanese, some of which, such as Rommel, did not even survive the war. Even Hoss, a commander of Auschwitz, wrote his memoirs.

JL

Old 05-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #17
enorepap

I will try to do a bit of order. I have the two volumes and I read them. Both from Holger Eckhertz in July 2015. Some days ago I read the analysis made by an italian journalist (perhaps it would be better to say a newspaper or pen seller ).

The charges are mainly two:

- the alleged and furious anger (four years later ) of some unidentified British veteran associations. I must say that this anger did not manifest itself for over seventy years despite the fanciful and insulting reconstructions written by characters like Monty ... Not my words but a post-war public response by Marshal Messe (General Chief of Staff of the Italian Cobelligerent Army and before Army and Corps commander of the Italian troops in Tunisia and Russia and before commander of an highly decorated assault units in WW1 ...) to the aforementioned British general's memoirs ...

- the claim that the veterans who would release these interviews to Eckhertz's grandfather in 1954 were fictional figures.

Well, we have people on WAF who have the full roles of the WH, then they are asked to identify whether those veterans were really existing people or Eckhertz's grandfather invented everything. Evidently he had to have permission from the Bundesrepublik's masters to do (or invent ...) these interviews in 1954 ...

Best regards

Old 05-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
pzo
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Loup View Post
"All is true but it changes nothing. Victors survive. Loosers perish. All we can study and know is filtered by victors. Orwell's "1984" is great example of attempt of manipulating history."

I have to disagree completely, there are plenty of books written by Germans and Japanese, some of which, such as Rommel, did not even survive the war. Even Hoss, a commander of Auschwitz, wrote his memoirs.

JL
OK. Try imagine what "filter" is? Do You know terms: censorship, propaganda, political correctness, national security, prison and occupation, and many others. What do You think, who decides which "tool" and in what extent should be used in process of publishing any memoirs. I bet that none of memoirs mentioned were published in pure form, without "filters"

Old 05-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
Jean-Loup
Association Member

There is also a word conspiracy theory. I interviewed enough German veterans myself to not believe that there are any secret filters preventing them from expressing themselves, when it comes to military matters that is.

JL

Old 05-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #20
Kelly w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Loup View Post
Before giving money to this publisher and author, please realize that this book is highly questionable and is apparently pure fiction:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...brication.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e...book-tpd9mj0vc
What a shame!!

Old 07-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #21
Kelly w

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...95#post8484495