wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Crosses of the Wehrmacht

Crosses of the Wehrmacht Iron Cross, German Cross, War Merit Cross and Spain Cross.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 09-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
eldenwaff
Member
 
eldenwaff is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
This is NOT to raise money for the owner! If that would be the case, he would have instituted an overall policy against outside hosting. This is a policy born by the moderators and managed by the moderators in order to preserve the forum integrity.
I agree with banning photo hosting for obvious reasons, the photobucket fiasco put a spotlight on that issue that makes it clear that photo hosting cannot be relied on long term.
Lets call a spade a spade however, this does wreak as a $$ grab, else every member would be able to post pics like 99% of other forums.
Don't think it will effect his bottom line though, people pay for estand selling and nothing else [claims of altruism aside] ,,, And people that didn't have the need for a paid membership because they don't sell aren't going to be coerced into paying just to post pics - They'll just go to another forum to post, or won't post at all.

So long term, IMO the collecting community at large is the loser here, will result is less raw material/info being posted. Instead of "ruined threads" because the pics went down months or years from now, there will be no thread at all.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #17
jack1
Member
 
jack1's Avatar
 
jack1 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GB
Posts: 695
Default

-1

Last edited by jack1; 09-29-2017 at 04:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
Jeff V
Moderator
 
Jeff V's Avatar
 
Jeff V is offline
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 7,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldenwaff View Post
I agree with banning photo hosting for obvious reasons, the photobucket fiasco put a spotlight on that issue that makes it clear that photo hosting cannot be relied on long term.
Lets call a spade a spade however, this does wreak as a $$ grab, else every member would be able to post pics like 99% of other forums.
Don't think it will effect his bottom line though, people pay for estand selling and nothing else [claims of altruism aside] ,,, And people that didn't have the need for a paid membership because they don't sell aren't going to be coerced into paying just to post pics - They'll just go to another forum to post, or won't post at all.

So long term, IMO the collecting community at large is the loser here, will result is less raw material/info being posted. Instead of "ruined threads" because the pics went down months or years from now, there will be no thread at all.
Not a money grab by the owner at all, he is totally indifferent to the running of the forum. This policy was formed by the moderators alone. Also, the moderators asked repeatedly for all members to be able to post images through the site, but this was ignored. Obviously this is not a perfect solution but a necessary start IMO.

I do want to add that I find it odd that with the expensive items in this hobby that anyone would complain about $35.00 with everything this site has to offer. Compared to books that generally cost in the $100 and up range I always thought the forum was a great deal.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #19
jack1
Member
 
jack1's Avatar
 
jack1 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GB
Posts: 695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldenwaff View Post
i agree with banning photo hosting for obvious reasons, the photobucket fiasco put a spotlight on that issue that makes it clear that photo hosting cannot be relied on long term.
Lets call a spade a spade however, this does wreak as a $$ grab, else every member would be able to post pics like 99% of other forums.
Don't think it will effect his bottom line though, people pay for estand selling and nothing else [claims of altruism aside] ,,, and people that didn't have the need for a paid membership because they don't sell aren't going to be coerced into paying just to post pics - they'll just go to another forum to post, or won't post at all.

So long term, imo the collecting community at large is the loser here, will result is less raw material/info being posted. Instead of "ruined threads" because the pics went down months or years from now, there will be no thread at all.
+1
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #20
Chet Sowersby
Lifetime Member
 
Chet Sowersby's Avatar
 
Chet Sowersby is offline
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,323
Default

Perhaps those that want something for nothing should go else where if they are unhappy?

Chet
__________________
Zinc stinks!
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #21
Gran Sasso
Association Member
 
Gran Sasso is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: bavaria
Posts: 14,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet sowersby View Post
perhaps those that want something for nothing should go else where if they are unhappy?

Chet
+1
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #22
Valter Gorenc
Member
 
Valter Gorenc is offline
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 1,660
Default

Very good decision! It's really a shame that so many threads go useless b/c of pictures gone.

Some members will be affected for sure, but they'll still have the great (and even greater now on) opportunity to read, watch and learn from this forum, completely free. The matter of money - there's a thread in collector's community forum, How much you spend on militaria or something like that. I bet the wast majority of members spend more than 25 € or so annualy, so ...
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #23
Sevrin
Association Member
 
Sevrin's Avatar
 
Sevrin is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plains
Posts: 1,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valter Gorenc View Post
Very good decision! It's really a shame that so many threads go useless b/c of pictures gone...
Agree.

A recent search in the DDR forum tuned up an old thread I was looking for, but unfortunately the guy's uniform pics were externally hosted & had expired/disappeared.

Also browse the collector's display forum a lot and have noticed that some of those old threads are full of these broken link messages instead of pics:

vanish.jpg

Last edited by Sevrin; 09-29-2017 at 05:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #24
Gary B
Association Member
 
Gary B's Avatar
 
Gary B is offline
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 7,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff v View Post
not a money grab by the owner at all, he is totally indifferent to the running of the forum. This policy was formed by the moderators alone. Also, the moderators asked repeatedly for all members to be able to post images through the site, but this was ignored. Obviously this is not a perfect solution but a necessary start imo.

I do want to add that i find it odd that with the expensive items in this hobby that anyone would complain about $35.00 with everything this site has to offer. Compared to books that generally cost in the $100 and up range i always thought the forum was a great deal.
+1
__________________
ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348
  Reply With Quote

Pictures
Old 09-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #25
cobra-2001
Association Member
 
cobra-2001's Avatar
 
cobra-2001 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,304
Default Pictures

Good idea.
__________________
C.R.M
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #26
jack1
Member
 
jack1's Avatar
 
jack1 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GB
Posts: 695
Default

The forum now might miss that long lost important history which has never been seen before or a important award which is original.
Some people join even if they do not collect just for a item handed down to them for appraisal because they want to sell maybe, or find out what they have been given to them by grandad from the war.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #27
Dietrich Maerz
Administrator
 
Dietrich Maerz's Avatar
 
Dietrich Maerz is offline
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA Lifetime Member #089
Posts: 13,182
Default

Jack,

you misunderstood what I wrote and what will be done from now on. Nothing about not being able to post, nobody here can block that. Posts or threads with such outside posting will be erased when answered or the posted photo will be copy/paste by a moderator to be preserved.
We all hope that sooner or later the owner will allow posting for all members. However, even then there will be people using outside hosting and it will be handled as described.
There is no need to make a big fuzz out of it!
__________________
B&D PUBLISHING
Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #28
jack1
Member
 
jack1's Avatar
 
jack1 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GB
Posts: 695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
Jack,

you misunderstood what I wrote and what will be done from now on. Nothing about not being able to post, nobody here can block that. Posts or threads with such outside posting will be erased when answered or the posted photo will be copy/paste by a moderator to be preserved.
We all hope that sooner or later the owner will allow posting for all members. However, even then there will be people using outside hosting and it will be handled as described.
There is no need to make a big fuzz out of it!
Fully understood now my friend.
Nice touch when answered.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #29
Douglas 5
Association Member
 
Douglas 5's Avatar
 
Douglas 5 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island, BC,Canada
Posts: 8,732
Default

All for it .

Douglas
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #30
eldenwaff
Member
 
eldenwaff is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff V View Post
Not a money grab by the owner at all, he is totally indifferent to the running of the forum. This policy was formed by the moderators alone. Also, the moderators asked repeatedly for all members to be able to post images through the site, but this was ignored. Obviously this is not a perfect solution but a necessary start IMO.

I do want to add that I find it odd that with the expensive items in this hobby that anyone would complain about $35.00 with everything this site has to offer. Compared to books that generally cost in the $100 and up range I always thought the forum was a great deal.
Points taken, am not saying membership fee is a bargain or not [I do remember quite a few complaining when the fee was jacked up not too long ago though].
In another one of these threads about the policy change, another mod said they had very little input, so I don't know.
If it wasn't about $$ and all about the good of the forum, then I fail to see why any registered member can't post pics and only premium members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Sowersby View Post
Perhaps those that want something for nothing should go else where if they are unhappy?

Chet
Might I inquire what the yearly fee of a lifetime member is ?
"Something for nothing" thats what I thought !
If you want to push for a policy of only paid memberships, have at it - Likely result will be a forum of 90% sales ads, you know it so do I.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com