wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > General Wehrmacht Awards

General Wehrmacht Awards Service Awards ("Flower War", Honor Cross, Long Service Awards, West Wall Medal), Honor Awards and medal/ribbon bars.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #16
HPL2008
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTF2kleoboy View Post
does anyone know if he ever wore the gold wound badge?
I doubt that anyone would know for sure.

For what it's worth: If the award date of 7 August 1944 is correct, more than 2 months passed until his death. So, even though the date of an award document is not necessarily the date an award was physically presented, this would seem time enough for the badge to be handed over to him, in which case he would surely have affixed to his uniform.

But, without positive photographic evidence (which doesn't exist for that time period) or an eyewitness statement about that one spedific fact... who could tell with absolute certainty?

Anyway, if you want to recreate a realistic representation of Rommel's final uniform, I see no problem with affixing a 19389 Wound Badge in Gold to it.

Last edited by HPL2008; 07-31-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:51 PM   #17
JTF2kleoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPL2008 View Post

For what it's worth: If the award date of 7 August 1944 is correct, more than 2 months passed until his death. So, even though the date of an award document is not necessarily the date an award was physically presented, this would seem time enough for the badge to be handed over to him, in which case he would surely have affixed to his uniform.

But, without positive photographic evidence (which doesn't exist for that time period) or an eyewitness statement about that one spedific fact... who could tell with absolute certainty?

Anyway, if you want to recreate a realistic representation of Rommel's final uniform, I see no problem with affixing a 19389 Wound Badge in Gold to it.
Thanks for answering my two questions. I'm gonna do the gold badge

Old 08-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
luftkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPL2008 View Post

Sound logic.

All I can add is that the Gold Wound Badge forms part of his medals display in whatever museum they are currently in (I cannot recall at the moment). It was certainly displayed on his funeral pillow.

Kind regards,
Pierce

Old 08-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #19
HPL2008
Association Member

Thanks! Oh, and apologies for the typos, I meant to write "1939" (not the cryptic "19389")...

Old 08-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #20
dakcollector
Association Member

Pierce is correct. Rommel's gold wound badge along with his other medals (including WWI awards) were/are on display at the Stuttgart Museum. The gold wound badge is also recorded in his Wehrstammbuch.