wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Tinnies & Political Badges Forum

Tinnies & Political Badges Forum All Political badges, Hitler Youth, Sports/Veteran organizations and Tinnies.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #31
der-hase-fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichS View Post
Thanks Joe that's the badge I remember seeing.
A few more pictures showing Hitler wearing the 1933 RPT badge. A sparkling piece indeed. Hess had one, too, while von Schirach did not wear one. And neither did Röhm. Who is the guy next to Lohse, both wearing one, in the fifth picture ?

Last edited by der-hase-fee; 01-13-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #32
JoeW
Association Member

Is that Lohse in an SS uniform rather than a Gauleiter tunic? Would the man next to him be Ley? Either a Reichsleiter or Gauleiter.
Premium paid for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557

Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #33
Stan
Association Member

Here is the badge although it looks like AH is wearing the Silver version on the photos:

Stan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hitler's Nurmberg badge-c.jpg (86.8 KB, 44 views)

Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #34
Br. James
Association Member

The fellow in the fifth photo below certainty does look like Gauleiter Lohse, though Lohse was never a member of the SS so if that is him, then the uniform he's wearing must be a version of the PL uniform. To his right is SS-Gruppenführer Walter Buch; the person to his left wearing an SA kepi is obscured by a man walking in front of him and facing away from the camera (that could possibly be Robert Ley). I can't quite identify the man in a PL uniform with Gauleiter's tabs walking closest behind Hitler, in front of the line in which Buch is walking, could possibly be Fritz Sauckel, though I'm not sure of that.

Great photos and a fun exercise! Cheers,

Br. James

Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #35
JoeW
Association Member

That can't be Lohse. Everyone else to his right is in SS uniform and the cap on the man has a death head. I think that is Hess obscured by Hitler's hand next to Dietrich. And the man walking away is Amann. I think the man in front sure looks likes Ley and he is wearing RL tabs of some kind that he wears in other pictures. He is wearing his wound badge next to the RPT badge. At least IMO.
Premium paid for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557

Old 01-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #36
Br. James
Association Member

Hi Joe,

I agree that Hess is to Buch's right, behind Hitler's saluting right hand, that Sepp Dietrich is to Hess' right, and that the person turning away is probably Max Amann. The uniform and peaked cap which the man suggested to be Lohse does appear to be SS, which leaves Lohse out, so who could that person be?

It's always best to go back to original source material, and in this case the answer to who the person is walking behind Hitler, "Reichstagung in Nürnberg 1933" tells the story: it's definitely Robert Ley. There are a number of photos of Ley during the 1933 RPT, including a full-page portrait on p.217. Although the standard PL uniform was revised in 1933 and many other photos taken during that year's RPT present people wearing the new PL uniform -- including the person we ID as Max Amann in this photo -- for some reason Robert Ley continued to wear the previous design of PL uniform throughout this event. And the collar tabs he's wearing are clearly Gauleiter tabs, even though he was already Reichsorganisationsleiter and head of the DAF -- clearly a Reichsleiter in rank. Amann was also a Reichsleiter at that time and wears a different uniform.

There's always mystery to this hobby...! Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Old 01-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #37
Br. James
Association Member

For those among us who purchased Volume II of Bill Shea's "The Making of a Collectorholic," please turn to pages 369-373 where you will find Bill's telling the story of the solid gold (20k) example of the 1933 RPT event badge engraved and presented to Hitler. Bill has this piece in his own collection and provides beautiful photos of both sides of the badge, which was made by C. Balmberger, a Nuremberg goldsmith.

Cheers, all,

Br. James