wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

Stack Drum Carrier
Old 06-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
timg
Association Member

Default Stack Drum Carrier

Found this image on the web admittedly another forum posted way back in 2009 I think.

Never seen one before, anyone have any knowledge on this exotic beast at all.

Regards

Tim

I have called it a stack carrier as I have no clue as to provenance or possible correct designation. Interesting none the less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stack drum carrier.jpg (57.8 KB, 131 views)

Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
me6_130
Association Member

Hello Tim,

Strange item indeed. The look and colour of the drums (blackish) make me think they might be repainted. If I had to guess...I would point towards French post war reissue but, without any other info, I don't know what to think. Doesn't look too practical for field use.

Carles

Old 06-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
timg
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me6_130 View Post
Hello Tim,

Strange item indeed. The look and colour of the drums (blackish) make me think they might be repainted. If I had to guess...I would point towards French post war reissue but, without any other info, I don't know what to think. Doesn't look too practical for field use.

Carles
Hi Carles,

Agreed it is odd, I actually thought it looked like a modified cake stand when first seen.

Not trying to be obscure or anything but I was interested in folks interpretation before I mentioned the location, just so you don't think I am trying to catch anyone out.
The item was actually posted up in Russia. The drums are just drums so I was not overly interested in those but the carrier itself.
What made me question it, is the use of the oval handles, common on other ammunition carriers in use MG13 Double drums, PT34 Trager, DT15. Use of stitched leather coverings etc. And of course the over engineered aspect.
Just a shame no other pics found without the drums on it or hands on for a good look.

Regards

Tim

Old 06-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
pzo
Association Member

Yes, the source is the most important. I have not seen it before ( as many other things. Thanks for sharing! You are true collector so no reason to warry about "catch". If it is the Russian source I wonder whwt they still get there? PT 34? Still to reveal? Any other thing like this rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Hi Carles,

Agreed it is odd, I actually thought it looked like a modified cake stand when first seen.

Not trying to be obscure or anything but I was interested in folks interpretation before I mentioned the location, just so you don't think I am trying to catch anyone out.
The item was actually posted up in Russia. The drums are just drums so I was not overly interested in those but the carrier itself.
What made me question it, is the use of the oval handles, common on other ammunition carriers in use MG13 Double drums, PT34 Trager, DT15. Use of stitched leather coverings etc. And of course the over engineered aspect.
Just a shame no other pics found without the drums on it or hands on for a good look.

Regards

Tim

Old 06-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
timg
Association Member

PZO,

I would expect that their is quite a lot of very interesting things to find in Russia still to this day.

The drum carrier is odd and interesting......but I have to accept that I found the "picture" on a Russian forum. The guy could quite easily have done as I did............found the picture elsewhere and posted it.

Interesting but much more evidence required.

I have read much on the question of the twin carrier for the MG42 for instance as an example.
Some say yes they are wartime, some say no they are all Jugo made with wooden lids.
I found a video of the guys in Russia digging at a battlefield site..........and yes they dug one up out of the pit. So I firmly believe the Germans started that game during the war, possibly only locally. The Jugo ones are a copy of a good idea modification.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:24 AM   #6
pzo
Association Member

Tim,
Modified twin barrel carrier for MG42 is very interesting issue. I would love to see some pictoral evidence from excavation site. If there were war time MG34 Lafettes altered to accept MG42 so why not twin barrel carriers, which are usually connected with Lafette. A lot of history is still to reveal... By the way do You know the story of U-boot sunk in Churchill river in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
PZO,

I would expect that their is quite a lot of very interesting things to find in Russia still to this day.

The drum carrier is odd and interesting......but I have to accept that I found the "picture" on a Russian forum. The guy could quite easily have done as I did............found the picture elsewhere and posted it.

Interesting but much more evidence required.

I have read much on the question of the twin carrier for the MG42 for instance as an example.
Some say yes they are wartime, some say no they are all Jugo made with wooden lids.
I found a video of the guys in Russia digging at a battlefield site..........and yes they dug one up out of the pit. So I firmly believe the Germans started that game during the war, possibly only locally. The Jugo ones are a copy of a good idea modification.