wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Photos and Paper Items Forum

Photos and Paper Items Forum Awards Document and any photo related to the era.

Kamfgruppe Hempel
Old 08-10-2019, 05:36 AM   #1
saulius

Default Kamfgruppe Hempel

Hello,
Maybe there is more information about Kampfruppe Hempel?
Thanks.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Gerdan

The signature: Oberst Fritz Fullriede, Kommandat Festung Kolberg

20.4.1945 promoted Generalmajor - RK, RK mit Eichenlaub

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Fullriede

Gerdan

Old 08-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
saulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdan View Post
The signature: Oberst Fritz Fullriede, Kommandat Festung Kolberg

20.4.1945 promoted Generalmajor - RK, RK mit Eichenlaub

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Fullriede

Gerdan
Thank you.

Here is a brief description of the events surrounding Festung Kolberg.
I just don't know where it's published.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
Gerdan

The text with the description of the events has his origin in the publication:

Hans Edgar Jahn: "Pommersche Passion" 1964

Gerdan

Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
saulius

As far as I understand, a description of the fighting in Kolberg, in which Ogefr. Mecke participated with Kamfgruppe Hempel.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
Archi
Association Member

Hello !

Very interesting small group, which provides some new information and also some questions.
Thanks for sharing it here !

- Regarding the docs :
The EK 2 document should have been issued within Festung Kolberg, while the small additional doc
is an "Abschrift",
issued on 11. April, 1945, and signed by a Luftwaffe unit located in Barth (I can't read the FPN).
The context is a transcription of an order issued on the 16.3.45 by the Festungskomandant Kolberg.
It lists the Nahkampftage (Close combat days) and Sturmtage of KGr. Hempel. Then it details,
which of those can be accounted for the 1. Kompanie (so that was probably the company of ObGefr. Mecke).
Barth is located ~30km W of Stralsund, so this was probably issued when he had escaped from Kolberg
and while he was put into another unit.

- Regarding the combat for Kolberg :
The defense of Kolberg was divided in 3 sectors : West, Mitte [center] and Ost [East]
Sektor Mitte was led by a Marine Officer (Prien) and consisted of Alarm-units mainly from
the Marine and also Btl. Hempel.

Btl. Hempel was formed from stragglers, that had arrived in Kolberg.
According to your additional doc, this Bataillon Hempel consisted of 5 companies.

The attack of the Red Army started on the 4.3.45, it took about 2 weeks and the last German soldiers
left on the 18.3.45, among them Oberst Fullriede.

You can find a very detailed account of the fighting here :
http://doku.zentrum-gegen-vertreibun...6-1-1-7-11.htm

Btl. Hempel is mentioned there several times and also a few of those attacks listed in the "Abschrift"
are mentioned there.

- What I have difficulties in understanding, is the date of the EK 2 doc : 11. Februar 1945
After looking into various sources, Oberst Fullriede was appointed Festungskommandant Kolberg later,
on the 14.2.45, and also according to various sources he might have arrived at Kolberg only around 1. March
(all this is unclear, however).
http://www.geocities.ws/orion47.geo/...EDE_FRITZ.html

But in addition, according to the first link, Btl. Hempel was formed only shortly before the attack of
the Red Army began on 4.3.45.
And finally, I would think that he received his EK 2 most likely for his participation in the fighting
described in the additional doc.

If there would have been written 11.2.45 one could easily imagine a typo (2 instead of 3), but to write
Februar instead of März is hard for me to understand ...

To make it clear, to me the documents look totally legit but is there an explanation to these questions ?

Best regards,

Archi

Old 09-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Brian R
Association Member

Archi. I completely agree with your concerns and thought about it as soon as I saw this document posted weeks ago.

The are instances where the date on an EK document does not make sense for the command or commander. I have seen multiple examples of this where the date of the document precedes the date the officer was in charge. This is typically the result of the date on the document actually being a reference to the Vorschlagsliste - the date of the recommendation is carried over to the date of the document itself. In this case the argument would be the recipient earned the EK for actions in early February - before being part of/or the existence of this KG - and his award was authorized and written out by this command days or weeks later (depending on when the KG actually came into existence).

It’s hard to believe that is the case here given the way this document looks and how the awarding location is referenced. So, this is a strange mash up of dates and commands, or this document has issues.

info@kleinekillpress.com
www.kleinekillpress.com

Last edited by Brian R; 09-11-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
Brian R
Association Member

In re-reading the information posted by Archi above, the info I presented makes even more sense. If this KG was formed and or Fullriede was given command as early as mid February, then the back dated award on the document itself fits. This would be when the EK was recommended, and makes more sense if the delay was days rather than a month later, like after the KG battles as stated on the additional document. It is my opinion that both documents are good, but he earned his EK before the March actions where the Sturm and Nahkampf days were recorded.

info@kleinekillpress.com
www.kleinekillpress.com

Old 09-12-2019, 02:00 AM   #9
FrenchVolunteer
Association Member

Hi,

i worked for months on the battle of Festung Kolberg ("Charlemagne" units escaped and fighted in it), and to me the document is clearly bogus.

The Festung was planned at the last moment (the whole Western Pomerania was not evacuated in time, and all ended in tragedy), Fullriede came in power as commander only on March 1st, Kampfgruppe Hempel was created at the last minute, the signature of Fullriede is imo a poor attempt, the date is pure non-sense, oh surprise the stamp is unreadable, and the rest of the document could have been made on any available piece of period paper.

If awards were given, it was officialized after the evacuation of almost all remaining soldiers (some units unfortunately stayed behind), in late March 1945.
Not before...

Many fakes are floating on the fights of the "Charlemagne" in the Körlin area, and documents from the Festung Kolberg are elusive as hell.

See You

Vince

Old 09-12-2019, 04:45 AM   #10
Brian R
Association Member

Good info, Vince. These type-written documents are always a challenge. If you can confidently say that Fullriede did not come into this role until March 1 than I have far less reason to believe the document is legit. It’s just too far from February 11th and any possibility of an “older”’award. The Storm and Nahkampf doc looks good but even that can be a fantasy - just look how well these additional documents are done these days...

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1006114

info@kleinekillpress.com
www.kleinekillpress.com

Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
FrenchVolunteer
Association Member

Hi,

here is a picture of Fullriede, which is said to have been in Kolberg almost by chance and then became the new Festungkommandant.

It should be pointed that in only a few days the Russian forces wiped all German forces from Western Pomerania, and that only very few units were able to "escape" to the West. Many subunits of the "Charlemagne" (which was located in the South of Kolberg near Körlin) were caught in the von Tettau escape to the West.
If preparations was made in Kolberg, they were quite small.
The city had some heavy guns, but it is interesting to learn that the last guns on the beach where 105mm howitzers... from the "Charlemagne" (some 3.7mm Flak gun of the "Charlemagne" also helped the defenders, not counting a few hundred of French SS soldiers who defended the city).

The city was not taken in the minute by the Russian forces because the tank units which wiped Western Pomerania had to follow to the West to trap as much German units as possible.
Also they were quite exhausted, lacked oil and ammunition, and to be honest the Russian units were just amazed by the lack of defenses by the German forces.
The siege was left mainly to the Polish free army forces.

I'm also including below the start of the official report by Fullriede himself, which confirm that he was not the Festungkommandant before March 1st.

Also i'm including an extract of "Red Storm on the Reich", which title clearly tells the truth : German units that were still in combat condition had to fight for their life to escape to the West, and the Red Storm was as effective as it was possible. People sometimes say that starting from March-April 1945 there were no front in the West (no unit able to stop the Allied forces), but it was also clearly the case in Western Pomerania.

Western Pomerania was just chaos... It is a miracle that Kolberg was able to evacuate +70,000 civilians and soldiers, and that a few dozen of thousand of civilians and soldiers under von Tettau forces were able to escape to Swinemünde.

See You

Vince
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fullriede.jpg (116.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (85.4 KB, 138 views)

Old 09-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #12
Brian R
Association Member

Great info, Vince. Thank you.

info@kleinekillpress.com
www.kleinekillpress.com

Old 09-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
Archi
Association Member

Hello !

Very detailed and interesting considerations by Brian R. Many thanks !
It answers some questions I asked myself.

Also excellent and very detailed information by Vince !
Due to his infos, I did now find the original report of Fullriede
and it turned out that the 1st link I provided is a transcript of
this report (not mentioned on the website).

Regarding the documents :
As has been shown in the link by Brian, there seem to be some high level fakes produced nowadays.
The listing of Sturm- und Nahkampftage looks very convincing to me at first glance.
The questions for me would be :
If this list is also a fake, why to put so much effort into this and on the other hand
make such an obvious mistake with the date on the EK 2 doc ?!
However, if the second doc is legit, and the EK 2 is added, why not use a date on
the EK 2 doc that matches one of those dates on the Nahkampftage list ?

It would be interesting, if there are other confirmed signatures of Fullriede for comparison .

Best regards,

Archi

Old 09-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #14
fanatyk6

Hi,
I also spent some time on this group. According to the German description of the fights the ,,Abschrift" is mosty correct.
However why EKII Urkunde was signed with February dating remains a mystery...
Here are two of the Fullriede signatures that I managed to find.
All the best

Old 09-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #15
FrenchVolunteer
Association Member

Hi,

i do not like the March 13, 1945 EKII award signature of Fullriede...
I suspect that it may be a bogus one, like the first in this topic.

The signature of Fullriede is available for decades, but the construction of it on the two awards is clearly not similar to the original one.

See You

Vince