wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

USA vietnam helmet
Old 11-07-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Hasse.M

Default USA vietnam helmet

This is going to be a birthday present to my father.
I really hope you and HIM will like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104_0443.JPG (138.1 KB, 275 views)

Old 11-07-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
Hasse.M

Old 11-07-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
Hasse.M

Old 11-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
Peter_Suciu

I'm not an expert on Vietnam era American helmets but my first comment would be the writing. Do you think it is period? The blacks don't seem faded like you'd assume they would be from being in the harsh sun and rain of Vietnam.

It also has a tone that is sort of like Full Metal Jacket, almost like someone was trying to add "color" to the helmet. Just my opinion. For something like this I'd want to know if the seller has any period photos of the GI wearing this lid with that kind of writing.

Last week I had a Halloween party and a member of the 82nd Airborne on leave from Iraq came with his sister (first time I met him) and were talking about helmets and he basically said that no one he knows would be able to get away with writing on their covers today. Maybe things were different back in 'Nam.

Old 11-07-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Hasse.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Suciu
I'm not an expert on Vietnam era American helmets but my first comment would be the writing. Do you think it is period? The blacks don't seem faded like you'd assume they would be from being in the harsh sun and rain of Vietnam.

It also has a tone that is sort of like Full Metal Jacket, almost like someone was trying to add "color" to the helmet. Just my opinion. For something like this I'd want to know if the seller has any period photos of the GI wearing this lid with that kind of writing.

Last week I had a Halloween party and a member of the 82nd Airborne on leave from Iraq came with his sister (first time I met him) and were talking about helmets and he basically said that no one he knows would be able to get away with writing on their covers today. Maybe things were different back in 'Nam.
Things were different in "nam".. Thats one thing I can tell for sure.
And writing on helmets were quite common.
I really think this is period done.
1: The helmet and writing is much more faded then my camera shows.
2: I have a really good source on this one.

I think this helmet is a good period one including writing. But im really not an Vietnam collector...
Anyone feel free to join this thread. I can leave this one back anyday...
Your opinions is much welcome!

Helmet Writing
Old 11-08-2003, 08:25 AM   #6
Paul B

Default Helmet Writing

Hi Hasse

This isn't a negative comment on the helmet as such, or indeed the writing on the cover. I'm fairly sure that the phrase "When I die, bury me upside down so the whole world can kiss my ass" is the same one written on the cover of Charlie Sheen's character in "Platoon" -just a point of interest, as I'm fairly sure many original covers had popular phrases and graffiti in common. Equally the graffiti in films like "Full Metal Jacket" and "Platoon" is presumably copied from actual examples.
Either way, hope your father has a great birthday
All the best, Paul.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:04 AM   #7
Perry Floyd
Lifetime Member

Writting on camo covers in Vietnam was common practice. I remember seeing my Step-Dads (I cannot locate the thing now wouldn't you know) when I was 9-10 yrs old while playing in the attic. He was in the 25th Infantry (Lightning Strawberries) and saw quite abit of action. I remember his cover having writing all over it. Some with a regular pen and with a marker as well. On the front he had written, "Girls, Girls, Girls". Although it was loaded with writting it's the only thing that stayed with me I remember about it.
As for this one I just don't know, it's hard to judge freehand art, wether it's period or not. As Peter mentioned it has alot to do with providence and your gut feeling. You can't apply textbook rules to things like this..
But writting on your cover in Vietnam was very popular and not Hollywood so to speak..

Old 11-08-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
Mark S.
Lifetime Member

I would be very leery of paying a premium for a "graffittied" VN helmet cover. Yes, they did that, yes they exist, but how would you ever prove it?

I wouldnt be comfortable with it as the real deal unless I got it from the vet myself. A picture would be nice too. This one looks a little too clean as well, for combat action in Nam. As far as I know, only the guys that were in the heat of battle and on patrol all the time did this. Recon groups, etc. Not only that, but only the guys that survived brought their home.....

I am not saying its fake, but it would take more than someones story to make me a believer. How do you even know the pot was in SE Asia? I remember seeing piles and piles of these steel helmets as a kid, and boxes full of helmet covers. Army/Navy surplus guys couldnt give them away. My son has one now we got at a garage sale for a couple dollars.

What you need is a bottle of insect repellent in the band to give it the full effect, and a pack of smokes on the other side (which I was told they didnt do, as it was a target...but the repellent wasnt? Go figure.)

Old 11-08-2003, 02:00 PM   #9
Jean-Loup

I would also only accept a written on helmet cover if it came directly from the vet. What is written on this particular one seems a bit far fetched. It would be the exact type of thing a collector would be looking for, and it can be so easely faked...
I remember when they were boming Kosovo, I saw Serb soldiers with writting on their camo covers. Would love to have one of those...
JL

Writing on Covers
Old 11-09-2003, 11:41 PM   #10
Paulh

Default Writing on Covers

Hello,

I have to agree with the other gentlemen - you have to be careful with writing on camo covers. I own two Vietnam camo helmets. The green one on the left has a fair amount of writing on it, but as you can see, it is quite faded, etc.,. It has names, places like Hill 103, and little sayings like " Just one last time" and in another place "Here we go, one more time". Some things you can't really make out any more. The color of the camo is also very different under the rubber band that has been on for all these years. The bands were used to hold bug repellent, cigarettes, ammo clips, etc.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAMA.JPG (39.3 KB, 198 views)

Cover
Old 11-09-2003, 11:43 PM   #11
Paulh

Default Cover

Another shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAMD.JPG (39.6 KB, 197 views)

cover
Old 11-09-2003, 11:45 PM   #12
Paulh

Default cover

Pic 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAM1.JPG (40.5 KB, 195 views)

Cover
Old 11-09-2003, 11:46 PM   #13
Paulh

Default Cover

Pic 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAM2.JPG (41.2 KB, 194 views)

Cover
Old 11-09-2003, 11:48 PM   #14
Paulh

Default Cover

Pic 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAM3.JPG (39.5 KB, 203 views)

Cover
Old 11-09-2003, 11:50 PM   #15
Paulh

Default Cover

Pic 6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAM4.JPG (40.3 KB, 201 views)