wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present

Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present From West Germany through to the modern reunified German Republic.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #46
Asbjoern
Association Member

Frank, I´ve sen this picturer here on the WAF before ... if I remember correctthese guys are not BW personel but somthing special related with the cold war status of Berlin ... Nico (USCOB) should know more about this topic...

Jens

Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #47
hoover

But they are wearing German shirts and ties, Germa rank stripes and 11th ABD patches. I doubt that theay are related to Berlin.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #48
Guardian 5

Frank - I think the gents in miracle picture number two are from a U.S.-German paramilitary organization known as the Labor Service Unit (LSU).

The LSU patch seen below is somewhat similar to the 11th ABD patch. We had a great discussion on this unit a year or two ago with one member providing a link to the LSU history page.

In any event, LSU pictures are very rare so it was good to see this one.

All the best - TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14065-6990-1-W.jpg (63.9 KB, 248 views)

Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #49
Collectinsteve

TJ,

I remember seeing this picture before and it was stated, by whomever posted it (or perhaps a follow up), that it was of the LSU. I remember this distinctly because it was the first I ever heard of this organization

Steve

Old 01-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #50
hoover

Damned, I didn´t knew that the Labour Services were armed.

Thank you!

News on picture from post #32
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #51
Asbjoern
Association Member

Default News on picture from post #32

Scrolling once again through the new big BW book I realized that a second picture from the event pictured in post #32 is published there (page 227 if I remember correct) Beside the fact that Mr Heuss is shown in this picture the source is Bundespresseamt - so it should be published while Heuss was on post - it once again shows the soldier in the strange olive green dress. This is described as "early production" Filzlaus suit while the belt / harness is called experimental ...

Regards,

Jens

Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #52
Forseti

Hi Jens!

And on that picture the Y-Straps look exactly like Austrian Y-Straps (the hardware and exspecially when you look the big seem above the rivet. It seems there is a cushion or lining under it as common on austrian Y-Straps).

Just my suggestion.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #53
Marc Sherriff

The truck bumper in post 45 has LSU painted on it.

Marc

Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #54
Collectinsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjoern View Post
Scrolling once again through the new big BW book I realized that a second picture from the event pictured in post #32 is published there (page 227 if I remember correct) Beside the fact that Mr Heuss is shown in this picture the source is Bundespresseamt - so it should be published while Heuss was on post - it once again shows the soldier in the strange olive green dress. This is described as "early production" Filzlaus suit while the belt / harness is called experimental ...
Yes, I would say it is Filzlaus. At least there is nothing about it that looks different from Filzlaus. The colors are not exact because either they were hand painted, at least enhanced by an artist, or distorted in the printing process.

The date couldn't be older than 1957 (4 pocket jacket) or later than 1959 (Herr Heuss). 1959 is the most likely date because everything in the picture is correct for 1959. It could be that in 1959 they tried out some Austrian Y-Straps to see if they wanted to go that route when deciding to abandon the earlier webbing (which they did around 1959).

Steve